🐈
» Forums » Clients » freelancer may simply have been bored
Page options
prestonhunter
Community Member

freelancer may simply have been bored

As an example:
A client named "Frank" hired a freelancer to develop a website.

The freelancer did a great job and finished the project on time, and on budget. Frank was very satisfied with the project.

Frank hired another freelancer to develop another website.

Everything was going fine for two months. And then progress slowed to a crawl.

Frank was the SAME CLIENT. He used the SAME APPROACH. He thoughtfully selected a freelancer. He paid well. He communicated regularly.

What happened?

Well... Ultimately, it may not really matter. Because Frank's goal is to get a website made. His goal isn't to write a report about why a freelancer stopped working on the project.

I imagined this conversation between Frank and his sister, Sally (who happens to have significant project management experience):

Sally: "It sounds like the freelancer just got bored. Or distracted. Maybe the freelancer joined a bowling club."

Frank: "But that's unprofessional!"

Sally: "Lots of things are unprofessional."

Frank: "Maybe I should contact Upwork Customer Support."

Sally: "What are they going to do? They don't have a button to click to make a freelancer interested in your project again."

Frank: "So what do I do? The project is getting behind schedule."

Sally: "You know what needs to be done next, right? Assign that work to other members of your team."

Frank: "I don't have any other freelancers on my team."

Sally: "Then you should hire some. And assign them to do the next work that needs to be done."

Frank: "It sounds like the freelancer will get away with unprofessional behavior."

Sally: "Yes, probably so. But the users who come to your website don't care. They don't know who the freelancer is, and they don't care if you used one freelancer or three freelancers to create the website. They just want it to work."

Frank: "And the freelancer gets away with this kind of thing?"

Sally: "Well, you can close the contract and leave honest feedback that reflects your experience."

Frank: "The freelancer knows the system better than anybody. What if I need his help?"

Sally: "Then don't close his contract right now. Keep the contract open, but move responsibility for new work over to other people. The original freelancer can help you by answering questions, coordinating work with the new people, and so forth. You should do whatever you need to that helps the project."

3 REPLIES 3
tjofi
Community Member

Hi Preston,

I am not sure what is the point of this topic, are you asking for advice or just sharing this with the community?
If the freelancer has stopped responding without submitting their work and the due date is over, you can either: 

1. Close the contract and reflect on your experience with the freelancer via feedback, or

2. Keep trying to get in touch with the freelancer if you believe you won't be able to replace them

You can also ask Upwork to try get in touch with them on your behalf, which is exactly what I recently did because a client wasn't responding after starting the contract without providing the necessary files.

Regards,
~Filip
petra_r
Community Member

Filip Đ wrote:

I am not sure what is the point of this topic

It looks like "the freelancer" wasn't the only one who was "bored". Preston appears to have been, too.

Filip Đ wrote:

You can also ask Upwork to try get in touch with them on your behalf

No. What in the world for?

Filip Đ wrote:

You can also ask Upwork to try get in touch with them on your behalf, which is exactly what I recently did because a client wasn't responding after starting the contract without providing the necessary files.

Why would you do a thing like that?

I would either wait for the client to get in touch (the client knew where to find you had they wanted you all along) or close the contract. Under no circumstances would I dream of asking Upwork to chase my client for me. Who does that?

re: "are you asking for advice or just sharing this with the community?"

I was just thinking about a lot of posts I have read, posted by clients who were frustrated by similar situations.

My post represents a composite, and is not based on any specific thread or post.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths