🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Over familiarity with the client
Page options
jufel-sebial
Community Member

Over familiarity with the client

Have you worked with a client for years and sometimes it feels like you are too immersed with his life anymore and family and that youre all affected with all the silly decisions made in the business. 

5 REPLIES 5
bf97c28c
Community Member

Hi,  Jufel. It's so deep topic. Unfortunately, I don't have worked for more than a year with one client. But I think a long time together for work makes people closer. 

mwiggenhorn
Community Member

I try really, really hard to keep a line of separation between me and my clients personally. Of course, I work exclusively for attorneys who tend to be pretty private people.  When I worked in the brick and mortar law field, it was a lot harder sometimes and I struggled mightily with not getting sucked into their private dramas.

celgins
Community Member

I have a few clients I have worked with for years and I always keep my distance from their in-office lives and their personal lives. Because I have known them for years, we talk about work-related topics and sometimes personal topics, but I never get so immersed that it affects me or my work. For example, even though I'm not their employee, my clients often invite me to optional phone conferences; company luncheons; one-on-one lunches with VPs, directors or managers; tradeshows; social gatherings; etc., but I never attend.

Some of my services to my clients include consultations, so they often make decisions based on my advice or suggestions. That sometimes makes it hard to not care about the inner workings of the business, but I have been able to steer clear of it.

My clients like me and I like them, but I don't get too close.

allpurposewriter
Community Member

Some writing projects involve delving into personal matters. You have to let the client choose the depth of a memoir project, for example. In that case, you're not paid to be an objective reporter; you're paid to walk around in someone else's shoes for a while. And, certainly, it turns out I'm human, too. I find it a strange place to be and not for the better. Sometimes I think I write better if I don't like my subjects than if I do.

williamtcooper
Community Member

Jufel,

Yes, it's called short-term projects - problem solved. 😁

Latest Articles
Learning Paths