🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Really pissed about the virus/worm Upwork gav...
Page options
blazewriter
Community Member

Really pissed about the virus/worm Upwork gave me

Who else has gotten this? It has completely dibilitated my computer, my accounts, including banking and everything else. It started with me applying for a simple job that had attached a sample of the writiing. The job was called The History of Trump/editor needed. The attachment only had one sentence and from there it went downhill. And I know Upwork is going to say that I should always check for viruses. But how many of us do when applying for a job? I do in every other area, but If it is an attchemnt for viewing  potential work, why? I've read attachments with jobs for years and years and have never had this trouble. Here is the name of the virus.     RDN/YAHLOVER.WORM!    This is a really bad one and If anyone knows anything about it, please let me know. 

It's bad enough that I haven't gotten a job on Upwork for almost three months, but it is frigging rediculous to also put a halt to most of my other communication online. 

Thanks Upwork!!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
colettelewis
Community Member

OMG, Judi, didn't you get the Upwork email on this?

I have had to clean up my PC several times over (I also posted a heads up before getting the Upwork warning). When I saw the one sentence, my anti-virus (Avira) went mad and I immediately deleted it and had to debug everything. 😞 

View solution in original post

43 REPLIES 43
colettelewis
Community Member

OMG, Judi, didn't you get the Upwork email on this?

I have had to clean up my PC several times over (I also posted a heads up before getting the Upwork warning). When I saw the one sentence, my anti-virus (Avira) went mad and I immediately deleted it and had to debug everything. 😞 

No, Nicholla  I had not gotten a thing. As soon as I clicked on the attachment I closed it right away but was still plagued from then on. I am still working on finding a solution to this mad worm, it is supposed to be one of the worst. For some reason Upwork is not allowing me to reply to people's messages, so I hope you get this. Thanks

@Judi B wrote:

No, Nicholla  I had not gotten a thing. As soon as I clicked on the attachment I closed it right away but was still plagued from then on. I am still working on finding a solution to this mad worm, it is supposed to be one of the worst. For some reason Upwork is not allowing me to reply to people's messages, so I hope you get this. Thanks

I think you need to get some really effective anti-virus software.

blazewriter
Community Member

For some reason Upwork marks this as resolved!! Ha  Not  In fact one of the virus cleaning tools that Upwork sent me, called Avast, was a virus also and just had to get rid of that.

@Judi B wrote:

For some reason Upwork marks this as resolved!! Ha  Not  In fact one of the virus cleaning tools that Upwork sent me, called Avast, was a virus also and just had to get rid of that.

Avast is not a virus. The virus you downloaded likely marks it as such so you don't use it to get rid of it.

If working online you must have a secure system as you WILL encounter unsafe attachments.

Good luck cleaning this **bleep** thing!

What anti-virus system did you have previously, and was it up-to-date? I am really a bit surprised that a fully protected system let you download this in the first place....

I have a fully covered computer and always have. I use McAfee at this time and my computer is new. I have never had this problem before. I am a novelist and can't afford my work to get compromised in any way. Anyhow, I think I just got it resolved. There is a site strickly for this worm. Thanks

The best security system you can put on your pc is Kaspersky.  It runs about $40 per year and is heads and tails better than any other program around.  Quoting experts with that line as I'm not a tech geek.  I'll see if I can find the reviews I posted awhile back on it.

@Judi B wrote:

I have a fully covered computer and always have. I use McAfee at this time and my computer is new. I have never had this problem before. I am a novelist and can't afford my work to get compromised in any way. Anyhow, I think I just got it resolved. There is a site strickly for this worm. Thanks

Great! Mine gave me the all clear last night, but I am still a little uneasy about this.

Hi, Judi, my computer, nevern Ever had trouble befor, I am supercareful! no, of course , illegal software, its an Filmeditor PC. Today its hardly running !!! its so slow I dont konow what to do !! I just opened a .png file, into a pserons portfolie, and also downloaded a .docx, but I olyu opened in Onedrive, AND  I checke it for virus !! But after this Upwork, now hav day of fixing, maybe even destroyed PC. Whath the hell is this !????

Malwarebytes is good at dealing with this sort of nonsense.  

This.  You really need Malwarebytes.  

The programs remains effective even after the trial is over but, if you can, support them will a full subscription.  It's worth every dime.

Download and do a full scan, not the short one.  Expect it to take an hour or more, depending on the number of files you have.  Follow all instructions for removing the bad, including restarting your computer when it directs you to do so.

@Kim F wrote:

@Christy A wrote:

The programs remains effective even after the trial is over but, if you can, support them will a full subscription.  It's worth every dime.

Download and do a full scan, not the short one.  Expect it to take an hour or more, depending on the number of files you have.  Follow all instructions for removing the bad, including restarting your computer when it directs you to do so.

@Kim F wrote:

Popping in a thank you, because this is a program I did not have.  Currently running a full scan, including a rootkit search, as I've not done a full proper scan in quite some time.  It does make working a bit jumpy (but hey it's worth it and I'm working at the same time so yay?), but I'm glad you guys posted this one and glad the OP brought it up (though I'm sorry they got hit in such a way).  It was a good reminder for me that I might want to run a scan!

~I am only here when I can tolerate having my eyes blasted, my privacy treated like a joke, and my temper pushed to it's limit. For all other times, please request alternate contact methods~

Kathyrn B's post:

@Christy A wrote:

@Kim F wrote:

Popping in a thank you, because this is a program I did not have.  Currently running a full scan, including a rootkit search, as I've not done a full proper scan in quite some time.  It does make working a bit jumpy (but hey it's worth it and I'm working at the same time so yay?), but I'm glad you guys posted this one and glad the OP brought it up (though I'm sorry they got hit in such a way).  It was a good reminder for me that I might want to run a scan!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

In addition to Norton Anti-Virus I utilize:  CCleaner, Malwarebytes, and SuperAntispyware as recommended to me from a "Geek" acquaintance a few years ago.  They all appear to work together well and do a great job.  Hope this helps.

I just got malwarbytes but am a little confused. I scanned yesterday and it said it found 24 problems. Sp, today for kicks I scanned again, it said I had 44 problems. How can that be in one day?

Judi, I would think that something is reinfecting your system.  Are you using real time protection, or are you depending on manual scans?

What is Malwarebytes finding when it does the scan?  Can you do a screenshot of your quarantine box?

versailles
Community Member

@Judi B wrote:

And I know Upwork is going to say that I should always check for viruses. But how many of us do when applying for a job?

I do, all the time.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
tlsanders
Community Member

@Judi B wrote:

And I know Upwork is going to say that I should always check for viruses. But how many of us do when applying for a job?

Until I read this question, I would have thought pretty much everyone.

I guess I thought that's what a good anti-virus program was for. SIlly me. I may have to find another program though.

david_gregory
Community Member

Just for information. A test report on various anti-virus reports showed up in my newsfeed so I thought I would share it. According to this article, malwarebytes didn't do that well compared to some of the others anti-virus programs although in the comments, one person does praise malwarebytes.

Anyway, I just thought I would share the information.

Thank you.  I appreciate it.

Good article; thanks David.

Some of you may remember me. I opened an attachment on a job on Upwork that I was bidding on to take a look at his writng. It took many virus scans, time, trouble etc, and I thought it was over.

.Onward and upward. That hack has now caused me loads of trouble. I can't (as much as I tried to get rid of this) they or, he/she/ have taken money out of my account 7 times now to the tune of $600. I have McAfee and two other anti virus protections. So don't let Upwork tell you it is nothing but a little set back. It is not. I have used all of my virus protecitons and am now working with Paypal to try to recoup my money.  Just saying...

Have you installed the anti viruses before the infection, and they failed to detect it, or after?

-----------

I had McAfee before the virus, after the virus I put in  the Clam virus thing and CCleaner. I have run each of them many times and last night it was a free for all with my accounts.

Did you try Malwarebytes?

@Judi B wrote:

I had McAfee before the virus, after the virus I put in  the Clam virus thing and CCleaner. I have run each of them many times and last night it was a free for all with my accounts.

Just a quick suggestion, but instead of going through your affected accounts and changing passwords etc. on your computer, go to the contact pages and physically call the CS for the accounts.  This way there is no keystroke record of the new passwords (in case of keyloggers).  I realize this way is more time consuming, but it's worth it considering the time you've already taken and the money lost.

~I am only here when I can tolerate having my eyes blasted, my privacy treated like a joke, and my temper pushed to it's limit. For all other times, please request alternate contact methods~

@Kathryn B wrote:

Just a quick suggestion, but instead of going through your affected accounts and changing passwords etc. on your computer, go to the contact pages and physically call the CS for the accounts.  This way there is no keystroke record of the new passwords (in case of keyloggers).  I realize this way is more time consuming, but it's worth it considering the time you've already taken and the money lost.

Very, very good suggestion Kathryn, thanks, and one that I will follow up. I don't think I have had further problems with this. My anti-virus did a good job. But  I alerted Upwork to this before I got their email -  which Judi did not - so for her it was that much later.

Thank you all for the good advice. I just bought Malwarebytes and what a scan I got (after just scanning with McAfee)

There were 24 problems which were taken care of. So, with that said, I hope I am well protected now. 

Lol! I have just read in the ToS (I think - I have been randomly browsing)  that one gets monetary compensation for alerting Upwork to naughty bugs.

Guys, I did this - but here's the downside. You have to alert the team and give them time to act before making it public (I imagine on the forums) . . . so no money for me and a lot of sweat for Judi  . . . I have to hand it to Upwork, they have a terrific sense of humour.

Nichola, this is for bugs on Upwork, not for viruses sent by fraudsters. 

-----------

@ Thanks René - that was mostly tongue-in-cheek!

By the way, the scammer's  back - it was in my job feed. I know I shouldn't have (as it is already written about here), but I put another warning where it can be seen more prominently.

csjarmitage
Community Member

Really, Malwarebytes isn't meant to be a standalone AV program.  The idea is to use it in conjunction with your anti-virus software, to most effectively protect your system.

Another option is to use a virtual machine, or something like Sandboxie to play with anything that could be suspicious.

sam-sly
Community Member

I wish there was something like Sandboxie for Mac. (My Google search informed me there is not?)

I decline interview invitations if there is nothing in the description but an attachment. I don't apply for projects that are similar. I sometimes write a bid without looking at the attached file. I am really not loving the way they just download and how Upwork does not give any information on the type of file, etc.

I seem to get the badly worded warning every two weeks or so about how I looked at a listing that had malware. 

Thanks for the tip on antimalware, they seem to have a Mac version.

For your Mac you may want to purchase Intego's Virusbarrier.

-----------

Samantha, if you are using macOS then there's no need to worry about attachments and possible malware. There's only one caveat however: there's a feature called GateKeeper which warns you when you want to install an app that's from an unknown developer or "gargabe" software like MacKeeper or Clean My Mac. The filesystem running on any macOS doesn't need any maintenance like Windows machines. If you are using your laptop only to write articles it's fairly ok to have you firewall set up properly and stay away from apps that promise to "improve" your system. I've seen other security threats like brute force attacks via SSH and malicious scripts, but it's not the case here 🙂

If you are for instance to open up an .exe, which is the equivalent of a .dmg on Mac, then you can grab Parallels Desktop which is a software that allows you to spin up a Windows machine to run simultaneously with your current OS. Unfortunately, it's not free, but it's worth it if you are in need. With Parallels you don't have to worry about your primary OS being infected or damaged in any way (I recommend you to disable file sharing between the host and the guest machine, there's a tutorial when you firstly install the app). The most common way people are getting hacked is by downloading an .exe which is in fact a keylogger or a backdoor which will leak information from your computer... this happens mostly on Windows which is know to have more vulnerabilities than macOS.

On the Windows machine you can use a free anti-malware software listed above, that would do... although I haven't used any anti-virus solution while I was working on Windows and haven't got infected or hacked even once. Everyone that recommends you to install an antivirus on Mac for no reason has no clue about this stuff or just wants to do some advertising (be aware of click-baits). The best option is to search on the official forums and to listen from the most experienced users who will also give you a clear explanation for something, not just that you have to install something on your laptop. The safest way to install something is from the App Store, because Apple has very strict policies and you will never get malicious software from there! 

@Cristian-Adrian F wrote:

Everyone that recommends you to install an antivirus on Mac for no reason has no clue about this stuff 

Like the French journalist working for a Mac information site that got his Mac infected by a Trojan horse few months ago?

I run Virusbarrier on my Mac and I scan all incoming files, especially MS Office files. I've also set MS Office to prevent starting macros because they can do bad things on both Macs & Windows boxes.

Giving this kind of advice, Cristian-Adrian, is unwise and dangerous.

-----------

Hmm, sorry I haven't heard about that incident, but pretty possible. As I've said, the best practice is to know where to click and where not to click, in case of a simple user. If you are going to ask an Apple they will tell you that there's no need to install thid-party solution for most of your activities, however you can try a software as you specified, but I cannot see a legit reason for that, except for the case where you are a person of interest that's continously threatened by script kiddies or just doesn't have the time to know how to handle software adequately. I also know that they fixed the well-known SIP feature exploit that was a terrible vulnerability in El Capitan and also the macro viruses (in Office 2016 you can reportedly keep them on without the worry of being affected by a virus). There will still be exploits, but they pale in comparison to what's on Windows in terms of vulnerabilities.

My team is working only on Mac machines, having Linux distros, Windows instances etc. and haven't got infected once on any of them (apart from the sandbox Ubuntu VPS which receives brute-force attacks daily, but you cannot call that "infection"). Windows is a more sensitive subject, I wouldn't discuss it here, but again with a bit of effort you can avoid them without spending money on a subscription. I know seniors that have the same opinion as me.

I am really curious how that journalist got infected and by what means (on Sierra I assume?). Perhaps, it's pretty common for people to click on ads like MacKeeper or similar adware (I said MacKeeper because it's the most prevalent one and many relatives got a ton issues by installing random software which shouldn't have been installed). At least from my knowledge, if you download an executable (a .dmg file) you will probably won't get infected unless you don't accept the several popups and warnings that GateKeeper will raise upon opening. There are however some improvements that can be made to the basic firewall protection provided by Apple.

If I were to hack or breach somebody's laptop which is running macOS I would do it via a trusted person which has access to that device and with a USB device coded to be recognized as a peripheral and have root access by default. In the first case, if the person gets to the laptop without being detected, you would be saved by FileVault (if somebody tries to access you data by any method he or she will need the iCloud pass) and in the latter you can't be saved by anything, because the peripharals are always marked as trusted by an operating system even if the device isn't a peripheral. This is in fact a widely used method for hacking, because with root access you can basically get anything you need from a user. Excluding these really extreme situations the GateKeeper and the basic firewall emodied by macOS will suffice the security needs of a regular user. At least it's done the best for me in my day-to-day work.

The journalist was simply the victim of a Trojan. While Windows systems are far more vulnerable to viruses, Macs users can be hit by the so-called Trojan horses which are software with hidden features.

Viruses may be extremely rare on Macs, but there is nothing that can efficiently prevent vicious software from doing harm or from stealing data if installed on a Mac.

User awareness is advisable but it has its limits, thus the advice to add an antivirus for more security, even on Macs.

And there is another thing to consider: if you exchange e-mails and files with clients, you can spread files that are infected with Windows-targeting viruses as well. Your Mac can be perfectly safe, but you can infect Windows-using clients. This is another reason why an antivirus is useful on a Mac, especially if it can detect Windows-targeting viruses.

-----------
Latest Articles
Learning Paths