cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Plight of a Brown Freelancer (with decent writing & a higher rate)

Highlighted
Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
11 of 30

I believe I lose out on a lot of jobs for German translation because I live in Austria. Many clients put in location Germany as preference. Now I could apply and tell them that I am an native German speaker, or not apply, but I will not write a first sentence in capital letters on my profile saying GERMAN IS SPOKEN IN AUSTRIA AND NO, IT'S NOT AUSTRALIA! because that is not making the connection to a potential client that I'm seeking.  

Highlighted
Ayushi V Member Since: May 9, 2016
12 of 30

Yeah Martina! I understand. And also about the comment on my bio. That is just something I would never like to do. But it was more of a frustrated moment where I wrote that. You know when your past 5 clients have discussed projects with you, and you have spent time sending them elaborate messages outlining the work and then after a series of 10 messages, they try and negotiate for you to write a 1k word article (mind you, with research) in like 8-10$. Plus it is more of a experiment. I am just trying to dissuade clients from getting into conversations if they have a very low budget.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
13 of 30

Ayushi V wrote:

Yeah Martina! I understand. And also about the comment on my bio. That is just something I would never like to do. But it was more of a frustrated moment where I wrote that. You know when your past 5 clients have discussed projects with you, and you have spent time sending them elaborate messages outlining the work and then after a series of 10 messages, they try and negotiate for you to write a 1k word article (mind you, with research) in like 8-10$. Plus it is more of a experiment. I am just trying to dissuade clients from getting into conversations if they have a very low budget.

I understand the frustration, and it probably does dissuade many cheap clients, but is also offputting to better clients, and ultimately unprofessional. Your profile looks much nicer now! Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
14 of 30

Ayushi, much improved profile! Good for you for following Mark's advice.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
15 of 30

Martina P wrote:

I believe I lose out on a lot of jobs for German translation because I live in Austria. Many clients put in location Germany as preference.

Try living in Italy....

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
16 of 30

Petra R wrote:

Martina P wrote:

I believe I lose out on a lot of jobs for German translation because I live in Austria. Many clients put in location Germany as preference.

Try living in Italy....

Or Norway...
But I thing we are probably lose out on the jobs because of Google, DeepL, Bing... and scammers that sell machine translations for rates that are too low for human translations to compete with.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
17 of 30

OP, someone keeps spelling your name wrong on your profile feedback.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
18 of 30

Jennifer M wrote:

Oh f me...

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jamie F Member Since: Mar 7, 2010
19 of 30

Jennifer M wrote:

Doh!

And here's somebody else under the 'other' name with much of the same pitch from her profile. 
https://www.freelancer.com/u/i**bleep**alohani 

Highlighted
Ayushi V Member Since: May 9, 2016
20 of 30

**bleep**. This is years old!

Jamie F wrote:

Jennifer M wrote:

Doh!

And here's somebody else under the 'other' name with much of the same pitch from her profile. 
https://www.freelancer.com/u/i**bleep**alohani 

**bleep**! I did not know that existed. Me and IL went to college together and found freelancing together and I guess at that time we made the account on Upwork and on freelancer and were hardly aware of the norms and rules so we would work together and everything. This is I think some 7-8 years ago. Since then, she has quit freelancing mostly and gone on to work full time with an organization. But do you think this can be a problem? Should I somehow delete this other profile on freelancer? I don't even remember the login details.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS