🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Win an Upwork Coffee Mug! What advice would y...
Page options
lenaellis
Community Member

Win an Upwork Coffee Mug! What advice would you give someone just starting out with Freelancing?

Coffee Mug alert!! Share the best advice that you would give to someone who is just starting out with freelancing.  There are no guidelines on what to write, you can include your personal story, or if you're new yourself- what motivated you to get started and continue with freelancing. One lucky person will take home an Upwork coffee mug. We will be collecting replies for one week, until next Monday, at which point the user who has the most kudoes on their reply will win the mug!

Screen Shot 2018-09-17 at 7.19.00 AM.png

Untitled
21 REPLIES 21
martina_plaschka
Community Member

I have no good advice but I want the mug!

jr-translation
Community Member

Don't give up your day job.

Off the top of my head: The Ten commandments of freelancing (and there are many more!)

- Make sure you have the know-how to back up the skills you are offering.

- Learn what integrity and professionalism mean. 

- Do not copy other people's profiles.

- Do not lie about your qualifications.

- Do not lie about your location.

- If you are required to give a photo of yourself, do not choose some celebrity pic. Your own pic will be fine.

- Do not offer to do other people's homework for them.

- Do not copy content from the Internet or anywhere else. This is called plagiarism and can be punishable by law (International law) 

- Do not make excuses about missed deadlines. Even if it is true that a member of your family/or dog is dying or has died, or any pet has eaten your mouse, or your PC crashed. Say you are sorry, but do not excuse it.  

- Do not complain/rant when a client thinks you have underdelivered. It may be true so check  the quality of your own work. 

This is just for starters. What is more, Upwork, from sheer seniority - I should get a mug or a Tshirt...

@Nichola L wrote:

Off the top of my head: The Ten commandments of freelancing (and there are many more!)

- If you are required to give a photo of yourself, do not choose some celebrity pic. Your own pic will be fine.

- Do not copy content from the Internet or anywhere else. This is called plagiarism and can be punishable by law (International law) 

- Do not make excuses about missed deadlines. Even if it is true that a member of your family/or dog is dying or has died, or any pet has eaten your mouse, or your PC crashed. Say you are sorry, but do not excuse it.  

- Do not complain/rant when a client thinks you have underdelivered. It may be true so check  the quality of your own work. 

This is just for starters. What is more, Upwork, from sheer seniority - I should get a mug or a Tshirt...

+1 - those of us who have been good little freelancers for many years shouldn't have to enter contests to win. We all deserve a mug. How about it Upwork?

No? Well, okay ... how about this?:

Don't even think about freelancing unless/until you've worked "in the real world" for a little while. I don't care what skills you have, if you don't know how to interact professionally with a client, you have no business freelancing. It's not just about your skills, it's about being capable of running your own business, and conducting yourself in a professional manner with your clients.

Please send a mug to Nichola ... she deserves one.

I was only kidding - think of the postage!!

@Nichola L wrote:

I was only kidding - think of the postage!!

I was only kidding too .... sort of.

filip_s
Community Member

Dont be cheap, cheap freelancers beget cheap clients, and neither one is happy in that relationship.

It's seems that most of the real good advice has already been given, but I'd love to get a mug... so what shall I say?

Treat every client with kindness and respect. If that's how you like to be treated, show them an example to follow.

Great advice earlier in the thread; here’s some others I came up with.

On fixed price contracts, where appropriate, have the client agree to the number of revisions you’re willing to do before accepting an offer, and,
be sure payment method is verified and milestone is funded for the amount agreed to before beginning work.

Lastly, one piece of advice for hourly jobs: use time tracker whenever it’s practical to do so.

Always be open and honest - with clients and with yourself.

Be professional. Act like a business owner.

Have a financial backup, especially when you are new.

Be truthful - Don't exaggerate your abilities and your experience.

Don't underprice your services but don't overprice yourself, either.

Read everything you can about freelancing but be discerning about advice you are given.

Take each day as it comes - some days are better than others - and do your very best every day.

Make time for yourself and your family.  Nothing is more important than that.

Why should only one person get a mug? And why do we need to add any mugs to our collection of mugs? Here's my suggestion to why we should all get a mug (remember my compatriot Amélie Poulain?).

le nain.jpg

One of the best suggestion I have been given 3 years ago when I started and now I share with all of you:

UNDERPROMISE and OVERDELIVER

Be careful with "underpromise" though. You want to win that contract, right?

Rather, promise all that you know you will deliver, then go over and beyond, share ideas generously, and overall act as if it were your own project.

I know, not all clients deserve this treatment. So, my top tip for newbies is: work only with those who do. Even though you're new, don't accept everything that's offered.

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

In no particular order...

- Remember you are running a business and begin with yourself. Whatever your field(s) of expertise, your primary assets are (1) your time, and (2) your brain. Keep track of how you spend your time, even before you've landed paying contracts. One of the most tedious and valuable things I ever had to do was submit a biweekly timesheet documenting time spent on every project I was responsible for, even though I was a salaried employee. We tracked 15-minute increments. It was odious but I learned to be aware of where my time goes each day. That is the first step in maintaining the discipline you need to earn a living on your own. (Nowadays, I use an installed time tracker that can log my activities in seconds, and runs in the background. This enables me to bill my time very accurately, with as much granularity as a project requires; and helps me stay out of distracting rabbitholes when I'm supposed to be researching something less interesting.)

- Focus on your strongest, deepest AND most marketable skill set. Understand that your strongest area may not be the one that will earn you the most money. If that is the case, then concentrate on the specialty that offers better opportunities. But don't venture away from solid ground in terms of your expertise and ability to deliver at the highest level of quality. Freelancing is NOT the place to try on-the-job training.

- Figure out what your time is worth. Build a frame of reference that includes what other people with comparable credentials are earning. Never sell yourself too cheap. Be willing to start out at a somewhat lower rate than you're aiming for, on short projects that you can wrap quickly and deliver flawlessly. But don't go too low, no matter how hungry you are. The goal is to start at the low or middle band of where you want to operate, and build from there. If a fee is so low it will tempt you to take shortcuts, or even mutter negative comments to yourself, take a pass. Cheapskate clients don't value the work and won't value you, which likely means you won't, either. The freelance world is like the ocean...carry that metaphor in as many directions as you want. 

- Cultivate optimism and good cheer, and feed it from within yourself. Kudos and positive regard from others is wonderful, but don't rely on it. That will lead you to make questionable choices about clients and projects, and inject inappropriate dynamics into client relationships. Again, you are running a business, not looking for social relationships. The most important positive input you are looking for is money.

- Be honest, polite, and respectful at all times and in all circumstances, regardless of what nonsense is being flung at you. Don't hesitate to be direct, but remember it's not necessary to raise your voice, and is usually more effective to do the opposite. 

- Spend a little time thinking about professional ethics, and your individual code. You are in charge of it, with all the freedom and responsibility that entails. 

- When (not if) things go south, make "no drama" your mantra. Don't take things personally. Always be prepared to be the adult in the room, even if--especially if--it seems like you may be the only one. Keep things professional. If it helps, imagine that everything you write--in email, in messages, in forum discussions--is preserved forever and could be hauled out in the open for all to see (because that's more or less true).

- Be especially vigilant with the clients you like best. Establishing relationships that support mutual trust and respect is crucial to your success. At the same time, it's critical to remember that they are business relationships. Be cordial and personable but don't overshare about your personal life. If a client overshares about theirs, keep things friendly but don't reciprocate.

- Spend some time thinking about what it means to be a freelancer. The freedom to choose who you work for, when, where, for how long and for how much. No guarantees about who will hire you, to do what, for how long, or for how much. This means you always need to be thinking about what you're doing and what might come next--how you could do it better, what else it could lead to, how you could earn more (by charging more or working more or both), which clients are most enjoyable and most profitable and how to find more of them, etc.

- Be prepared to work harder than you ever have, or thought you could. And to enjoy intense gratification when you succeed.

This is a rehash of what others have already stated, either here or in other threads.

First of all, freelancing is a self-owned business; you are not an employee. You have to manage your workload and time yourself. Like any other business owner, you have to decide your workload and time off.

You must already have the skills and experience from the B&M world; don’t expect to learn as you go.

Your ratings will tell the world how good and reliable you are. So manage them well.

Don’t take on jobs that you are not completely sure you can complete satisfactorily. And don’t accept a job unless you know exactly what it entails; otherwise, you are in for frustration and heartbreak and a bad feedback that can cripple your freelancing career.

Be especially careful to maintain a good rating when you are new. Later, a few bad feedbacks will not affect your ratings too much. (There is a difference between one bad apple in ten and one bad apple in a hundred.)

You must define your rates and stay clear off the cheap jobs. While you may feel the compulsion to get a few jobs under your belt and build a good rating, these cheap jobs will really hurt when you want to up your rates.

Don’t let open and inactive jobs pile up. Not only are they bad for your rating, but also a prospective client browsing your profile will surely notice them.

As this is a business based on ratings, be particularly careful to be professional and courteous. Don’t shoot you mouth off (in messages or feedback). Not only will you have a vengeful client, but also prospective clients will steer clear of you.

Here is some great advice from Cheryl, a very experienced freelancer: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Coffee-Break/I-just-need-to-vent-about-a-client/m-p/477499#M37891.

When you really are about to blow your top, do have a look at the above advice.

There are some precautions that you need observe (even when you have acquired experience).

For fixed-price jobs, do not start the job (or at least don’t deliver) until your milestone is correctly funded. Also, be careful to discuss the scope of the job before accepting it. The last thing you want to go into is an endless loop of corrections.

If your client does request a revision and you feel it is warranted, you should gracefully do it. If you feel it is unwarranted, be professional and polite. In the latter case, ask the client to create and fund another milestone.

For hourly jobs, use the time tracker as far as possible. Yes, some work can’t be captured by the time tracker, but make sure that your job allows for logging manual hours. In any case, do keep in mind that Upwork guarantees only the tracked hours. And an important thing to keep in mind while using the tracker is to describe your work clearly.

Finally, do visit the forums and share your experience. You will both learn and have fun.

"Certa bonum certamen"

People are different - don't be surprised by that.

You're allowed to say 'no'.

petra_r
Community Member

My mug wishes everyone the best of luck in your attempts to win its brother (or sister.)

there you go ;)there you go 😉

Reiterating Kim's comment as it is at least as important as all the other advice given ...

You're allowed to say 'no'.  And sometimes it is exceedingly wise to do so.

Gosh, Petra, YOU have a mug???  Who would have thunk it.  Smiley Surprised

@Petra R wrote:

My mug wishes everyone the best of luck in your attempts to win its brother (or sister.)

Eeny, meeny, miny, moe,

to whom should the mug go?

The flask to my daughter went,

The mug to my wife who has the bent.

Eeny, meeny, miny, moe. Smiley Happy

"Certa bonum certamen"
lenaellis
Community Member

Thank everyone for participating. Our coffee mug winner with 10 votes is Nichola!

"Off the top of my head: The Ten commandments of freelancing (and there are many more!)

This is just for starters. What is more, Upwork, from sheer seniority - I should get a mug or a Tshirt..."

Thanks everyone for participating and sharing advice!

Untitled
Latest Articles
Learning Paths