🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » 3rd Party Contract Requires Monthly Payment
Page options
anycloud
Community Member

3rd Party Contract Requires Monthly Payment

I signed a 3rd party contract with a client after accepting an hourly project, but I didn't thoroughly read the part about payment where they say they work on a 30 day pay cycle. 

I've read in other questions about this method where I invoice the client directly and they pay me via Upwork bonuses, but is this a breach of the Upwork terms? I see in the terms it says we agree not to invoice or be paid outside the platform, and I presuem both are binding individually?

I don't mind using the Upowrk bonus payment system and invoicing them directly, however I do not want to loose my Upwork account. It is my lifeline, and I will not do anything to breach our terms. 

I would still receive all payment through the platform, but it just feels sketchy since that's not how we do it here. The only reason I'm asking is because I will do it Upworks way, but I'm under a lot of pressure for signing the contract. 

Last question for any over achievers is whether or not Upworks terms nullify a section of a 3rd party contract that breaches Upworks terms. 

2 REPLIES 2
prestonhunter
Community Member

30-day pay cycle?

No.

I work on Upwork.

With an hourly contact, I get paid weekly.

With fixed-price contracts, I am the one who decides what the milestones are. I arrange them so that a milestone takes me no more than a day or two. So that means I get paid multiple times per week.

I am certainly not available for a 30-day pay cycle. I am not interested in schemes.

re: "I don't mind using the Upowrk bonus payment system and invoicing them directly, however I do not want to loose my Upwork account."

Getting paid using bonuses means you get paid purely on the honor system. In other words, you get paid IF the client feels like paying you.

re: "I would still receive all payment through the platform, but it just feels sketchy since that's not how we do it here. The only reason I'm asking is because I will do it Upworks way, but I'm under a lot of pressure for signing the contract."

It is beyond sketchy. I find it preposterous.

Tell the client:

"Liam, thank you for your interest in working with me on this project. I think there was some confusion about how Upwork works. Hourly contracts mean that clients are billed automatically once per week. For all of the time that a freelancer logs. I will be logging all time spent working on the project. Upwork will process payments automatically. It is not necessary for you to send any bonus payments to pay for my time. If you have any questions, let me know. If any of this won't work for you, then I can close the contract."

re: "Last question for any over achievers is whether or not Upworks terms nullify a section of a 3rd party contract that breaches Upworks terms."

Who cares?

I am going to work the way Upwork expects me to work. I am going to log my time using the Upwork desktop time-tracker, and get paid for my time. I will qualify for Upwork Payment Protection. If that is not fine, then I will close the contract. I don't have time to play games with scammers.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members