🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » A client tried to force me to install suspici...
Page options
2f5ff562
Community Member

A client tried to force me to install suspicious software

Hi! I'm taking this to the forums because this was SO strange, here it goes:

I was approached out of the blue to run some facebook ads, and all was unusual but ok, he sent me straight away the offer without interviewing or anything, and I noticed he just opened his Upwork account, have only this job open, and 6 hires - I attached images - ... which I thought was weird but kept the convo open (didn't accept the offer at this point)

So he stated that he needed to send through we transfer a couple of images and a doc with "sensitive data", and they were "compressed" and I needed to use WinRAR, and all was good and understandable but the still unusual.

I use a Mac so winrar was sort of out of the question, tried to uncompress online but soon I realized the 2 "compressed" files were .exe so I asked him and then he stated it was software to protect his data (image attached) and he started to be more pushy to get me to use those .exe named "new products (and more stuff)

And so, now that I'm writing the case I hear it sounds way more suspicious 🤨  🤣
I wanted to report the job but couldn't find the right button, only block him, but IF this is indeed a scam I wanted to draw attention to him. Not to mention that his English  felt a little weird for being from the UK, which on itself has nothing weird but adding up it makes it feel more shady.

Thanks!! I hope I'm not overreacting, what do you guys think!!?    

Screenshot 2023-05-09 at 5.25.22 p.m..png

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
NikolaS

Hi Mateo,

Thank you for reaching out to us and bringing this to our attention. I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Nikola
Upwork

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
205dd0d3
Community Member

Though I haven't experienced similar, I align with you in that you see something wrong with that situation. What stands out is that he's not trying to describe the software nor urge you to look it up but rather continues with his vague, non-explanation. The icing on the cake is the childish writing, and it's supposedly a business person. 

iwan-spillebeen
Community Member

100% a scam, trying to get you to install a virus on your PC.  You had every right to be suspiscious.

As a general rule I never accept any contracts without having had a discussing with the person (in person) first to understand if we are a good match.  As far as I'm aware there is no such thing as secure software embedded in an .exe to protect their data, an .exe is only meant to install stuff on your computer; there are ample ways to protect data none of those require an .exe.

2f5ff562
Community Member

How can I scale this case to be reviewed and report the client?

vpeguero
Community Member

Hello!

What you need to do in the job post ( job details) is flag it as inappropriate and it will automatically open a case to support from Upwork and they will remove it.!

vpeguero_0-1683709246834.png

But there is no job post, he directly sent job offers. At least, not that I can find.

You can report the messages.

lulitha1989
Community Member

yes, he tries to open the application on your computer, that application will collect your sensitive data and send it to him. Do not open files like that and you can report them to Upwork customer support.

NikolaS

Hi Mateo,

Thank you for reaching out to us and bringing this to our attention. I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Nikola
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members