🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » About using telegram or skype
Page options
27fc8aa7
Community Member

About using telegram or skype

Hey guys!

I am new to Upwork here and have applied for some jobs. I have received some jobs offer but some of them are communicating through telegram and asking me to pay security fees. I am assuming that they are scammers and I have ignored them. Can clients also use skype for job interviews? Just like to know your opinions and which jobs are genuine jobs? thanks!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Only communicate using Upwork's call feature, or through messages. All others are not allowed until after a contract is in place. If someone insists you to communicate off of Upwork, they are almost certainly a scammer. And yes, there are tons of scam jobs here, especially in data entry.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Those are all scams. 

petra_r
Community Member

Communication outside of Upwork before a contract is in place is strictly forbidden. Do NOT violate Upwork's terms of use by communicating outside of Upwork with prospective clients, if you do, you're not only in danger of getting scammed but can also get your account suspended.

Read this!

27fc8aa7
Community Member

So all other third party medias are not allowed to be used? Not even skype or whatsapp etc?

Upwork provides all means necessary to communicate with clients before being hired (chat, call, video chat).

Why didn't you know that communication off of Upwork isn’t allowed until after a contract has been set up and how could Upwork have made you better aware this it before this happened to you?

27fc8aa7
Community Member

It is strange how they have given me the job but I noticed that the contract was not accepted on upwork

yofazza
Community Member

This place is currently infested with scam posts.

Take read on this thread: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Community-Blog/Top-Red-Flags-for-Scams-From-Community-Member-Wes-C/b...

Mervin L wrote:

It is strange how they have given me the job but I noticed that the contract was not accepted on upwork

Nothing strange about that. After a while they will ask you for money. 

It is because they did not hire you.

Stop communicating with them and report them.

A real client will never ask you to pay anything to them or buy things for them. This would also be a violation of Terms of Service you agreed to when you signed up on Upwork.

Here are some ressources to look at before moving further.

Get Started – Upwork Customer Service & Support | Upwork Help

Upwork Customer Service & Support | Upwork Help

Upwork Legal Center

List of red flags for scams - Upwork Community

Freelancing 101 on Upwork - Upwork Community

Report Suspicious User Activity – Upwork Customer Service & Support | Upwork Help

Understanding and Using Connects – Upwork Customer Service & Support | Upwork Help

Tips to Avoid Questionable Jobs - Upwork Community

These are definitely scammers.

So they gave you the job without a contract. Imagine that they give you real tasks to perform and after you've done them, they just don't pay you. What are you going to do? you won't be protected in any way since they didn't actually hire you.

However  I don't think they'll even give you any work to do, they'll just ask for a payment or fee for whatever reason (training, hiring, whatever) and you won't see them again.

Just ignore them. Don't engage with them any further.

27fc8aa7
Community Member

I have applied for a few more jobs and some of them are asking me to do an interview with zoom. I guess this is also a scam job? There are so many jobs asking us to use telegram... I can't seem to find a legit data entry or typing job here so far with a decent pay rate.

Only communicate using Upwork's call feature, or through messages. All others are not allowed until after a contract is in place. If someone insists you to communicate off of Upwork, they are almost certainly a scammer. And yes, there are tons of scam jobs here, especially in data entry.

So which jobs or categories would have more geniune jobs? I guess there are scammers everywhere but am looking for a data entry or proof reading jobs. Even for the latter, I can see a lot of scammers... Are there any other better platforms?

You'll need to spend a lot more time on your profile to have any chance of attracting legit clients. Clients search for proofreaders if they need proofreading, not piano teachers/psychology students. You don't even have proofreading listed as one of your skills, and it would also help to have portfolio pieces that you've marked up. Right now, you're just expecting total strangers to take your word for it that you know what you're doing, with no proof of any expertise or experience, and with a higher hourly rate than most beginners. That's not a formula for success. A lot of freelancers are scammers as well, and clients are just as wary of losing their money as we are.

petra_r
Community Member

Mervin L wrote:

I can't seem to find a legit data entry or typing job here so far with a decent pay rate.

Those categories are drowning in low-cost freelancers competing for very few (in comparison) jobs. Those "no-to-low-skill" jobs tend to go to people in countries where the cost of living is much lower than yours.

27fc8aa7
Community Member

I understand that it is important to have some portfolios or expertise in the area but I thought that one could also start of as a newbie in data entry or proof reading jobs here. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members