🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Addressing Concerns about Upwork Freelancer S...
Page options
click_it_genious
Community Member

Addressing Concerns about Upwork Freelancer Selection Process

Dear Upwork Team,

I hope this message finds you well. I am writing to express concerns regarding the current selection process for freelancers on the Upwork platform. It has come to my attention that there are some issues that could potentially discourage individuals with specialized degrees and skills while favoring those with lesser qualifications.

One of the major issues is the prevalence of freelancers from developing countries who create fake accounts and misrepresent their skills and educational qualifications. These freelancers often hire skilled individuals with specialized degrees in their respective countries to complete Upwork projects, thus undermining the integrity of the platform. This unfair practice negatively impacts freelancers who have invested in acquiring the necessary skills and education for their fields.

Furthermore, it has come to my attention that some freelancers with limited knowledge in their chosen fields manage to pass Upwork's skilled tests by obtaining answers from external sources. This not only compromises the quality of work delivered on Upwork but also undermines the credibility of skilled tests.

I urge Upwork to take action to address these concerns and maintain the integrity and trustworthiness of the platform. To prevent these issues from persisting, I recommend the following steps:

1. Strengthen Verification Processes: Enhance the verification process for freelancers, including verifying their educational backgrounds and skills. Consider implementing additional verification steps, such as verifying certifications and degrees.

2. Monitor Skilled Tests: Increase scrutiny of skilled tests to prevent freelancers from obtaining answers from external sources. Implement measures to ensure that these tests accurately reflect a freelancer's skills and knowledge.

3. Create a Reporting Mechanism: Establish a reporting mechanism for freelancers to report suspected cases of fraudulent activity, misrepresentation, or misuse of the platform. Encourage the Upwork community to participate in maintaining platform integrity.

4. Collaboration with Educational Institutions: Collaborate with educational institutions to verify the authenticity of degrees and certifications, ensuring that freelancers are accurately representing their qualifications.

5. Continuous Improvement: Continuously monitor and adapt the platform's security and verification processes to stay ahead of emerging fraudulent practices.

Upwork has the potential to be a leading platform for skilled professionals worldwide, but these issues can deter qualified individuals from participating and lead to a deterioration of the platform's reputation. I believe that taking proactive steps to address these concerns will benefit both Upwork and its community of freelancers.

I appreciate your attention to these matters and look forward to seeing positive changes to ensure a fair and equitable platform for all Upwork users.

Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

Ayfar Khan

ayfar khan
13 REPLIES 13
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

ChatGPT has given you incorrect information. There's currently no "selection process" for signing up, Upwork got rid of their skill tests a long time ago, and there is already a way to report suspicious profiles. The kind of background checks that you're suggesting would definitely improve the quality of the website, but also cost a fortune to carry out. Upwork has made it pretty clear that they're not interested in doing this, nor in doing any kind of quality control for freelancers or for clients.

However, if you personally would like to improve your credibility, you can pay for certifications through Credly, display your certificates obtained through other training courses in your profile, and ask previous clients for testimonials. But doesn't all of this contradict your other forum post in which you say that Upwork should provide free training, education and mentorship? If you think that Upwork should only accept skilled, educated/trained freelancers, then why would this be necessary? 

Dear Community Member,

I trust this message finds you in the best of health and spirits. Firstly, it is imperative to clarify that the information you received did not originate from ChatGPT but rather from an alternative source. As of my last knowledge update in January 2022, there was no formal "interview process" or selection criteria for registering on Upwork. It is worth noting that Upwork had ceased its skill tests, and the platform had established a reporting mechanism to address suspicious profiles.

While the notion of implementing more robust background checks for both freelancers and clients could potentially enhance the overall quality of the platform, it is crucial to consider that Upwork may have articulated reasons for refraining from such measures. Financial implications and other operational complexities may be among the factors contributing to this stance. This leads to questions about how certain freelancers with dubious profiles have managed to amass significant wealth, such as those employing VPNs to present multiple identities and gender changes. Is there a sufficient system of accountability in place to address such discrepancies?

I propose that Upwork might consider allowing users to upload a wide array of skill certifications from various regions, or even better, expanding the list of recognized and authentic certification authorities. This could encompass displaying badges earned from these authorities on user profiles. For instance, in my case, I have expertise in video editing, but I find it challenging to include my institution in the available list of options, which limits my ability to showcase my credentials to potential clients.

The suggestion to emphasize hiring only educated trainers stems from concerns about certain online training sessions where freelancers may inadvertently impart inaccurate or unethical information to newcomers. Prioritizing the education of new freelancers regarding the ethical use of the platform could be a constructive step. It is essential to underscore that these suggestions are made with the intent of enhancing the standards within our community, and I hope they do not negatively impact those who are diligently and honestly contributing to the platform.

Warm regards,

Ayfar Khan

ayfar khan

Ayfar K wrote:

Dear Community Member,

I trust this message finds you in the best of health and spirits. Firstly, it is imperative to clarify that the information you received did not originate from ChatGPT but rather from an alternative source.

Honestly, I'm struggling to make sense of the wall of text produced by whatever AI program you're using. It's also imperative to clarify and essential to underscore that AI programs may inadvertently impart inaccurate or unethical information to newcomers, which doesn't enhance the standards within our community.

**Edited for community guidelines**

I am sending you some of the screen shots to help you understand what type of fraud people are doing on upwork. They are just selling reviews. they hire people by charging them double and give them fake reviews just to sustain their profiles.This is not good for the freelancers who are doing hardwork to get those reviews from clients and work hard for it. And no body here on upwork mentioned ever this..Facebook and other sites are full of this **bleep**ty business. Upwork only give us a option to report such profiles..But dont you have mechanism which trace out fake reviews?????

ayfar khan

Firstly, it is imperative to clarify that the information you received did not originate from ChatGPT but rather from an alternative source.

Well, whatever, your source, it is wrong, and dangerous to spout to other freelancers. People have a hard enough time figuring out the rules, they don't need an "alternative source" giving them inaccurate and harmful information. If you want to help others, then you must learn the rules, and ways of freelancing, not use some program, or other person, or irrelevant copy and paste that gives wrong information.

It is worth noting that Upwork had ceased its skill tests, and the platform had established a reporting mechanism to address suspicious profiles.

I see you added that to the prompts. Why did your program get it 180 degrees wrong?

You are using a program, and it's a very bad one.

I think if i am telling you a true thing which is happening around me or in upwork community already . and you are unaware of this. that is not my problem. By alternative source. means its my own research...and i spend over 21 years in freelancing. I know the pros and crons about everything related to freelancing and freelancers. So you never under estimate my knowledge about freelancing and platforms like upwork. I work very closely to every type of freelancer. I know how **bleep**ty freelancers misuse upwork and they have full knowledge about upwork mechanism etc and everything. I am here to just suggesting you people that please make this platform more filtre so the deserving get the work. I saw many people with degrees and skills sitting idols where **bleep**ty freelancers who are using VPN and change their locations. Their identities, fake their skills ( by showing their profile and hiring other people for doing work for them ) are gaining more level at upwork rather than those who are doing work hard in a real way. dont you think it is fair enough to discuss about such issuses? than i am sorry for what this community is for? if you dont give anyone to speak about their issuses openly. I am using upwork last 18 years ...I saw many cases around me.

ayfar khan

It's not underestimating your knowledge to point out blatant falsehoods in what you've said. If you do in fact have comprehensive knowledge, why are you misleading other freelancers with inaccurate information?

Abandoning any interest in quality or even authenticity of freelancers and clients has allowed Upwork to make a profit for the first time in its history.

williamtcooper
Community Member

Aytar,

Update your Profile to the current algo and upskill to expert in-demand Skills to bypass these issues.

the-right-writer
Community Member

ChatGPT, or whomever you copied this from, is completely wrong. That's the problem with listening to anyone who says they know it all or are an expert.

1. It has come to my attention that there are some issues that could potentially discourage individuals with specialized degrees and skills while favoring those with lesser qualifications.

No one with advanced degrees is being discouraged from applying. Are there more scammer freelancers than real ones? Yes.

2. One of the major issues is the prevalence of freelancers from developing countries who create fake accounts and misrepresent their skills and educational qualifications. 

The scammers are from everywhere. I have found plenty of born and bred U.S. citizens who are lying, cheating, and scamming. Thieves, scammers, and others are everywhere. It takes vetting to know who is OK to work with, not looking at their culture or ethnic heritage.

3. These freelancers often hire skilled individuals with specialized degrees in their respective countries to complete Upwork projects, thus undermining the integrity of the platform. 

There are farmers all over, who pick up people to work, pay them dirt, and they never have a profile. Upwork is well aware of the issue, and does nothing. Again, vetting is the only way for anyone to have any protection.

This unfair practice negatively impacts freelancers who have invested in acquiring the necessary skills and education for their fields.

For clients looking for dirt cheap, nothing will change their attitude. However, skills and education are never wasted. Don't work for clients paying garbage. If you find your work is not being chosen, look to other sources. Upwork is hardly the only way to work as a freelancer.

Furthermore, it has come to my attention that some freelancers with limited knowledge in their chosen fields manage to pass Upwork's skilled tests by obtaining answers from external sources. This not only compromises the quality of work delivered on Upwork but also undermines the credibility of skilled tests.

Instead of getting wrong information, why don't you use the Academy to learn.

Upwork removed all platform and category limits a long time ago. They also removed all Upwork tests (people complained they were "too hard.") and all category skills tests.

Do you have any idea how difficult, time-consuming and expensive it would be just to verify college transcripts? And how do we rate colleges? Is an 8-year degree listed the same as a mail-in 6-month degree? It would cost a ridiculous amount to verify more than name and address. That isn't even happening.

• Monitor Skilled Tests: Increase scrutiny of skilled tests to prevent freelancers from obtaining answers from external sources. Implement measures to ensure that these tests accurately reflect a freelancer's skills and knowledge.          There are no tests. Upwork removed all of them long ago! What are you talking about?

5. Create a Reporting Mechanism: Establish a reporting mechanism for freelancers to report suspected cases of fraudulent activity, misrepresentation, or misuse of the platform. Encourage the Upwork community to participate in maintaining platform integrity.

Let me get this straight, You want to recreate flagging? And contacting Support for egregious situations? Upwork just fired 15% of their employees. I don't think they want to spend time and money and servers for a new way to report issues.

• Collaboration with Educational Institutions: Collaborate with educational institutions to verify the authenticity of degrees and certifications, ensuring that freelancers are accurately representing their qualifications.

Think, for just a moment, what is involved in verifying transcripts. It's not as though we all went to the same schools, graduated the same years, or had the same degrees. There is no way to accomplish this. And what do you do when you find freelancers telling lies about it? Upwork tolerates severe breaches of the Terms with no response. They do not care what people put in the profiles, and they can't be expected to chase after freelancer information. I am not paying Upwork to investigate degrees.

• Continuous Improvement: Continuously monitor and adapt the platform's security and verification processes to stay ahead of emerging fraudulent practices.

Well, they say they are...

You need to look at your profile and how you use the platform. The person(s) or programs you are listening to don't know what they are talking about. That's why you don't just trust anyone with information that can affect your career and your finances.

I am totally agreed with the answers you had given. But my concern as a freelancer is not ONLY for me but all those around me who are at upwork for their bread and butter. I dont think a company like upwork ignore such kind of issuse which predict their business future. If your freelancers dont experience a platform secure, clean from fraud freelancers and filters how a freelancer find him self or herself secure?? or why they use your platform and for what? 

you keep on saying  upwork dont cares ...than why these fraud freelancers cares to ruin the name of platform in the global market??? Are you kidding me?? that Upwork just fired 15% of their employees. I don't think they want to spend time and money and servers for a new way to report issues.

i mean if you dont care about your baby who else????

Anyways. Please share email of support or anyone in authority who can listen to my concerns and find any sort of solutions..

Good Day.

ayfar khan

Eliminating any semblance of requirements or skills test should tell you all you need to know.

Never forget that Upwork has at least 10x the number of freelancers that would be optimal.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members