cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on dealing with change in scope of project

Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
11 of 35

What Petra said. Life would be a dream if we never had to negotiate, especially with people we already know and like. Life is not a dream.

Ideally, you want the client to grasp the difference between what you've been doing and what the new assignment involves, and perceive the value underlying the higher compensation. If you agree to do the new task for less than it's really worth, he won't learn that. Furthermore, he may eventually wonder if he paid too much for the work you did before. So, as Petra advised, be friendly and professional and business-like. (If you contact your ISP and tell them you want a faster speed and they quote you the price, you don't then say, "OK, for that amount I want to also add more lines." That is, you could, but they'd say, "In that case, it's gonna cost you [even more]."

Madhu K Member Since: Aug 14, 2019
12 of 35

i think you should hire someone to complete the work. make sure the person you hire is new to field with

little experiance.

Amy R Member Since: Jan 18, 2019
13 of 35

Madhu can we do this?  I mean I guess we could...and a client has done this with me, but I find it somehow wrong.  I had to remote to his machine, log on with his credentials and complete his work, which he passed off as his own.  I didn't like it and eventually stopped working with him.  That is how he completed all his work.  I don't know why but it doesn't sit right with me.  Maybe it is fine....I wonder what others think.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
14 of 35

Amy R wrote:

I had to remote to his machine, log on with his credentials and complete his work, which he passed off as his own.  I didn't like it and eventually stopped working with him.  That is how he completed all his work.  I don't know why but it doesn't sit right with me. 

On fixed rate contracts only with the knowledge and consent of the client. With hourly contracts, not at all. If you logged into his Upwork tracker, for example, that would be a massive issue...

Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
15 of 35

Amy R wrote:

Madhu can we do this?  I mean I guess we could...and a client has done this with me, but I find it somehow wrong.  I had to remote to his machine, log on with his credentials and complete his work, which he passed off as his own.  I didn't like it and eventually stopped working with him.  That is how he completed all his work.  I don't know why but it doesn't sit right with me.  Maybe it is fine....I wonder what others think.

I believe on a fixed priced contract you can sub the work out.  I am not sure what you have to inform the client about, but ethically I think you should.

You can't login to another person's Upwork account and run the time tracker thing.  I know you didn't do that but if you had, that would definitely be a violation of Upwork's TOS.  A job like that the client has to hire you both.

My problem is, even if I wanted to, I only trust a very narrow slice of humanity to do what I do.  That narrow slice doesn't really need me to find them work.

Amy R Member Since: Jan 18, 2019
16 of 35
Yes! I don't trust anyone to do my work either so I could never do it. No I don't think he was from Upwork....he posted on Upwork as a client but he was a consultant to others and had me doing his work (for which he was unqualified). He would just tell his clients he could do anything and then hire Upwork freelancers to do his work. Once I figured out what he was doing I stepped away.
Katherine T Member Since: Oct 6, 2018
17 of 35
Sorry, not sure what you mean. I should hire another freelancer with very little experience to do the work?
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
18 of 35

re: "Sorry, not sure what you mean. I should hire another freelancer with very little experience to do the work?"

He was not suggesting that you do this.

I think he was gently (sarcastically) chiding clients who pressure freelancers to do work that they aren't experienced or knowledgeable about.

Madhu K Member Since: Aug 14, 2019
19 of 35

yes its a sub-contract method.. if you hire fresher you can ask him quickly before due.you can recommend him new i just like a group work.their is moral to helping others

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
20 of 35

Madhu K wrote:

yes its a sub-contract method.. if you hire fresher you can ask him quickly before due.you can recommend him new i just like a group work.their is moral to helping others

This is not how it works on Upwork. Or in any professional environment.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS