🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Advice on ongoing contract - my first contrac...
Page options
e419f451
Community Member

Advice on ongoing contract - my first contract in Upwork

Hello Everyone,

After searching relentlessly for over a month, I finally got a contract on 13th August from a client based out of the UK. The initial requirement was 30 tasks of which the client assigned the 1st task on the 13th second half of the day (UK Time). I started working on the task on the 14th morning and completed everything by the 15th evening. In the meantime, I shared all necessary delivery files (codes, charts, tables, word, pdf, PPT) through chat. On the 16th morning, the client requested a word version of the report which I also shared. The client initially assigned the due date as 14th, however, we both agreed the nature of the task would require some more time to meet quality. I did create a change request to update the due date and ask for approval for my delivery, however, the client has not been responding at all since yesterday (16th). I could see him online on multiple occasions but he has not replied to any of my messages. In this particular case, how long should I wait for him to reply? The reason being I am not sure if he is willing to work with me for the remaining 29 tasks and I cant apply for other jobs also unless I am released from this contract. I am also unable to see this contract under my offer list. Any advice would be really helpful because I am new here and I really want to succeed on this platform. I am unable to understand despite putting 100% effort and keeping the client engaged, what went wrong and how long should I wait for the client and proceed further. I am unsure about the payment also.

I am completely aware that clients should take more time and we should wait until the requestor is comfortable to start their journey again, but I am not sure what to do.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
martina_plaschka
Community Member

I don't have an my offer list, do you mean my jobs? If you have not clicked accept on an offer, you don't have a contract. (Stop working immediately). But even if you had a contract, you can still accept other jobs, nobody is keeping you from that. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
martina_plaschka
Community Member

I don't have an my offer list, do you mean my jobs? If you have not clicked accept on an offer, you don't have a contract. (Stop working immediately). But even if you had a contract, you can still accept other jobs, nobody is keeping you from that. 

Hi Martina, Yes I did click on Accept offer and I do see the contract under "My Jobs". Maybe it is my mistake that I was trying to locate it under the Offers section. 

So your suggestion is even though I have an ongoing contract where the client is not responding, I can still apply for other jobs and work in parallel if need be. Is that a fair assumption?

The second question is what do you think might have happened with my current contract? The client is not happy or the client is still reviewing the work before coming back? Any threshold duration until which I should expect the response? What would happen if I never get a response? Would I be blacklisted?

Arimitra M wrote:

Hi Martina, Yes I did click on Accept offer and I do see the contract under "My Jobs". Maybe it is my mistake that I was trying to locate it under the Offers section. 

So your suggestion is even though I have an ongoing contract where the client is not responding, I can still apply for other jobs and work in parallel if need be. Is that a fair assumption?

The second question is what do you think might have happened with my current contract? The client is not happy or the client is still reviewing the work before coming back? Any threshold duration until which I should expect the response? What would happen if I never get a response? Would I be blacklisted?

Once you accept an offer, it is converted into a contract, so there is no offer any more. Still don't know where you find that section? I don't have that. 

It's freelancing. No client will ever expect you to only work on their contract, unless it's a full-time position. 

I have no idea what your client will do or not do, but there is no blacklisting on upwork. The worst thing that can happen is a bad review. Focus on other things for now until the client replies. 

Thanks, Martina. Your suggestions are helpful and answered my question. I was actually referring to the below screen. I just intend to show you the attached screenshot. Maybe it is my mistake. I apologize beforehand. 

Arimitra M wrote:

Thanks, Martina. Your suggestions are helpful and answered my question. I was actually referring to the below screen. I just intend to show you the attached screenshot. Maybe it is my mistake. I apologize beforehand. 

Ah makes sense! I guess I never look there 😉

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members