🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » After block client , are he still able to see...
Page options
slavkoa
Community Member

After block client , are he still able to see our last name and data? [Safety and Trust]

When you get invite , accept proposal and "paranoia" or red flag , bad vibe , you block client. Is he still be able to see your personal data name , last name , town .... or this get blocked , restricted to public data ?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

If you had a client, he already knows your name and town.

Even if you were able to block one individual on Upwork from viewing your profile page... then when his wife logs into her Upwork client account, he would be able to look over her shoulder and see every aspect of your public profile page.

You can't put something onto your Upwork profile page and "block" somebody from seeing it.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
prestonhunter
Community Member

If you had a client, he already knows your name and town.

Even if you were able to block one individual on Upwork from viewing your profile page... then when his wife logs into her Upwork client account, he would be able to look over her shoulder and see every aspect of your public profile page.

You can't put something onto your Upwork profile page and "block" somebody from seeing it.

But public profile do not show last name , and is OK , after blocking some one i do not mind they see public data. Is public but last name is not public why they will be allowed still to see this data.

EDIT:
When accepting a proposal you give a last name data to person you do not know is it going to be client or not at this point.

AndreaG

Hi Slavko,

Blocking a user in Messages will prevent them from further messaging you. However, they'll still be able to see the content of the message room shared with them before you block them. They will also be able to view your profile if it's public or visible to Upwork Users.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
slavkoa
Community Member

Andrea G wrote:

Hi Slavko,

Blocking a user in Messages will prevent them from further messaging you. However, they'll still be able to see the content of the message room shared with them before you block them. They will also be able to view your profile if it's public or visible to Upwork Users.

Thanks!

But why is still allowed for them to see last name after blocking , this providing a security threat. Is ok to see information provided to them but they should not be able to have anything more then  public data. Why not changing back to only first letter of last name ?

Hi Slavko,

I'd like to confirm the information that Andrea shared with you is correct. This is currently how the messaging works, but I'll be sure to share your concern with the team for review and see if we can offer this as a feature in the future. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
kinector
Community Member

Slavko, your concerns start to make me me think there is something else here too.

Did you accidentally share something you shouldn't in the first place?

Once your name is known to someone, they can find a lot of things about you on the net anyway.

I don't think there's much that Upwork could or even should do about this.

The blocking function is very handy as it is now. Helps me filter out all the spam.
slavkoa
Community Member

Mikko R wrote:
Slavko, your concerns start to make me me think there is something else here too.

Did you accidentally share something you shouldn't in the first place?

Once your name is known to someone, they can find a lot of things about you on the net anyway.

No , i did not share anything to be the problem.

imaiqbal
Community Member

Hi Andrea,

A client of mine has purchased one of my projects. His requirements were quite different from my project contents. I've requested him to post a job with his requirements and to invite me to apply for that job. His response was. "I'm a very busy man and I don't have any time to post any job.” He was always interested in verbal communication.

However, he seemed to be a nice person. So, I didn't doubt his intention ever.  I've shared the work in progress links with him from the very first and asked for his feedback periodically. He used to be very happy with the outputs. By this time, I've worked on the changes he was expecting on the files. I usually deliver extra works to my clients happily.  So, I didn't hesitate to deliver some extra but relevant works.

After completing the assigned tasks, I've submitted the tasks for his final review. He came with some additional work. He wanted to have a Pitch Deck Presentation. which was not mentioned on the requirement while ordering the project. I was agreed to provide that as well.

After that, he was just adding new works every day. That’s when I asked for payment for the next additional works. He was agreed with me and he ensured me that he will pay me for the additional works. So, he was bringing changes to his requirements frequently and I was making the changes on the work files.

By this time, I never thought about money, my full intention was to help the client what I usually do for other clients. That’s when I made the mistake. He was with never-ending requests. It seemed like it was impossible to make the client happy. He was coming up with irrelevant and weird questions every time. It was like I have to read line by line of the final output and have to make him understand the meaning of it!

So, I have requested him to put the payments of the addental works in escrow. He couldn’t stand my straightforward request and ended the contract with a bonus payment far less than my expectation.

His not with the bonus payment was “You are an amazing researcher, Ima. Thanks a lot”.

Though I was paid less, I thought it was an end of a hectic journey. Unfortunately, it was not! He is reaching me every day with new queries and new requirements. Lastly, he was saying that I have to present the “Pitch Deck presentation” to him and to a few of his colleagues. I’ve mentioned to him that, this is not a researcher’s duty. (Attachments can be provided if required.)

After that, he started blackmailing me that, I didn’t deliver him the expected work as per my project description and he has requested a refund.

I never faced such clients before. I always have a very professional and respectful relationship with my clients. If you go through my Upwork profile, you’ll see that. I really don’t know how to handle this kind of client.

By this time, I’ve blocked him on the message section. However, I am receiving notifications on my all devices each and every time.

Can you please help me with that?

re: "By this time, I’ve blocked him on the message section. However, I am receiving notifications on my all devices each and every time."

Block him on those devices.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ima, 

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with this client. Could you please click on my name and send me a PM with more information regarding this report, along with evidence? I'll check it and be sure to escalate accordingly.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
imaiqbal
Community Member

Hi Bojan,

Thanks for your kind approach. I've sent you a private message along with the evidence I have. Please have a look.

Regards,

Ima

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members