🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » All the money earned is going right back to U...
Page options
nawaraj_karki
Community Member

All the money earned is going right back to Upwork.

It's a $5 project, and I must invest $1.5 in connects.
I think this is just straight-out stealing freelancers' earned money.

And also Upwork should refund the connects  if the Client doesn't even view the proposal.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

12 REPLIES 12
firoz-reza
Community Member

I agree... 

759e32fa

Hi Nawaraj,

I understand you feel that the set budget for this job post is not ideal as freelancers also spend on Connects to apply for jobs.

Please keep in mind that clients are the ones setting the price for their projects and freelancers have complete freedom whether to spend Connects on applying for them. 

As independent contractors, it's good that you analyze the costs on your end to properly decide whether it's worth investing Connects and time on such job posts. We encourage you to continue doing so, so you'll only work on projects that sit well with you. 

On the other hand, clients may also consider increasing the budget for their project depending on your conversation.

As for the refund of Connects, we only return them under these conditions:

• If a project is canceled by the client before a contract is made, Connects you used on that proposal will be returned. This does not apply to expired job posts.
  • If we remove a project’s post because we believe it violates our Terms of Service, Connects you used on that proposal will be returned.

If you have applied for a job and it’s no longer available because of a violation or you used Connects on a job proposal that turns out to be fraud, we will return them. In these cases, Connects are credited back to your account for reuse — not for a refund of their cash value.

~ AJ
Upwork

Hi! Anne, 

I appriciate your time to clearify the doubts of this thread. 

I agree with you on refund of connects. Coz, just yesterday I got refund of used connect for a proposal. The project was cancelled. Fair enough. 

The thing is, as a fresh upworker, we have no choice but to bid for $5 work using 8 to sometimes 16 connects. 

Thanks again. 

Regards

Firoz

The thing is, as a fresh upworker, we have no choice but to bid for $5 work using 8 to sometimes 16 connects.

Why would you say this? No one is forcing you to take dirt cheap jobs. This is advice I hear all the time, and it is wrong. Do not listen to people who tell you this, because it's a horrible way to get started and locks you into low paying jobs.

If you have the skills, charge for them. Do not apply for $5.00 jobs - why are you?

It's one thing to give a bit of a discount, but dirt cheap should be rejected by everyone.

If you have the skills, charge the world rate, because you are in a worldwide marketplace. If you don't have the skills, you will fail as a freelancer. What's stopping you from applying for $50.00 jobs? Or $100.00 or more?

bobafett999
Community Member

Just don't chase those jobs..use common sense judgment when applying

d9fc6d8d
Community Member

Maybe don't apply for low-paying jobs?

tlsanders
Community Member

It seems more like a sign that it makes absolutely no sense to send proposals on $5 projects. 

fd1a3637
Community Member

No, the clients that think they can take advantage of you by posting jobs with criminally low pay are stealing your hard earned money.

the-right-writer
Community Member

You are a freelancer. You apply for a job, and don't look back. You don't get rewarded for not getting a job. This is freelancing.

You are asking for free access to a jobs platform, and it happens nowhere except for terrible sites that charge heavily on the other end.

How is it stealing? No one forces you to come here, and no one forces you to apply. It's your choice to be self-employed. Your profile is private, but I know what's there. It's not stealing - it's called freelancing, where you are responsible for everything that happens to you, including paying for job access.

If you want a guaranteed job, and have someone take care of all expenses, then you need to find an employer.

There are no guarantees. Did you apply for a job where you have every qualification asked for? Do you excel in your business? Do you know you are better than the other freelancers who will apply?

If you find your return on your investments is poor, then you need to reassess your business.

You are asking for free access to a jobs platform

Okay where exactly did I ask for free access to a job platform?

I am just saying that the amount of connects required should be a little less for such $5/$10 projects.

Jeanne H wrote:

You don't get rewarded for not getting a job. This is freelancing.

Well, obviously I'm aiming for the 'No Job' award. It's the highest honor in the freelancing world, you know.

I am just saying that the amount of connects required should be a little less for such $5/$10 projects.

No, you said, "I think this is just straight-out stealing freelancers' earned money."

I do not understand the mindset of applying for dirt cheap jobs. If you have the skills, charge for them and don't apply to dirt cheap jobs. Those jobs get you nowhere, and the clients tend to be jerks who want everything for nothing, hence the dirt cheap fees.

Stealing? No. That's why I wrote my post. No one is forcing you to try and find jobs here. As I said, freelancing costs. It is absurd to say any platform is stealing because you have to pay your way and there are no guarantees you will ever find a job.

And also Upwork should refund the connects if the Client doesn't even view the proposal.

No, freelancing means there are no guarantees. Why would you get your money back when you failed to even be viewed? Instead of blaming Upwork for having to pay your way, perhaps you should spend time on your profile and proposals. If you are not being viewed, you need to look at your vetting skills for clients and jobs, make sure you apply to jobs where you have every skill and requirement, know you are one of the best, and examine your proposals.

Why would Upwork make it cheaper and more inviting for freelancers to send proposals on jobs that are of no benefit to Upwork and more expensive to bid on the ones that are profitable for the company if a freelancer lands the job?

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members