🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Am I a bad artist?
Page options
4613ac98
Community Member

Am I a bad artist?

Hello guys, that's my first topic in the community.

I started working on Upwork since some months and a lot of things happened!

At the beginning I had various contracts with clients that suddenly disappeared during the work process and others that removed their payment method to not pay after hours of works. Luckely Upwork paid me for the work done.

Now I'm receiving longer projects with cooperative clients, but they always ask for an INFINITE number of revisions... I don't know if this happen only to me, so I'm wondering if maybe I'm a bad artist? I really don't know.

I always accept to do changes 'cause I'm worried that my works are really not good and I don't want to make a client unhappy.

In the last few weeks I get my Job Success score and it's at 89% but I only have 5 stars reviews, probably some clients wrote a bad private feedback and that makes me think that maybe I'm really not so good in what I do.

In the last days it's becoming really hard for me to find new contracts, I usually start something but from the beginning they seems unhappy with what I do... it seems like suddenly everything is going wrong and I would just pay my rent lol.

I would like to know if I'm the only one that had ghost clients, a lot of revisions and feel that something is wrong with what I do or there is something else like me here...

I know I don't have a bad profile at the moment but behind the ended contracts and good revisions there are a lot of weird and bad things during the work process!

Any tips about how to improve my journey here on Upwork?

Thank you for you help guys!

Rossella

12 REPLIES 12
bobafett999
Community Member

I can't judge if you are a good artist or bad.  But as regards to number of revisions when put number of revisions you will do in the contract. 

Thank you Prashant, I generally never talk about revisions limit and I will absolutely change this before any new contract. There is any way to put a revision limit in the milestone automatically? Or sould I do it only chatting? 
This could be a great new function for Upwork if implemented

cyber_sec007
Community Member

If I have an hourly contract I'm happy to do any revision if they are paying for it. I'm not in visuals so I'm not sure how many revisions would be OK during a fixed price project, but I usually offer 2 free revisions when I'm doing technical writing.

Thank you Attila, a lot of client ask for fixed-price contracts so they're sure to not exceed the budget and I'm fine with that but as I said to Prashant I surely will clearify my revisions limit next time. I think also for visual 2 revisions could be a good thing for each milestone

70b2489a
Community Member

I am going to talk to upwork members.

Rossella is a good artist.

I know well...

If anyone has other opinion please call me and ask.

Was this supposed to be ironic? lol

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

It doesn't really matter whether we think that your art is good or bad; the question that you should be asking yourself is: "Does it fit the brief that the client gave me?" The key to avoiding endless revisions is to communicate clearly with the client before you start working, to understand their expectations, what they're trying to achieve, what style they're going for, etc. (And if the client is incredibly vague about what they want, either insist on an hourly contract, or walk away.)

Thank you Christine, I completely agree with you. In visual there are a lot of details and styles so it's very hard to find the perfect match for the client also if I ask a lot of things at the beginning. But I have to be clear also if I'm worried to make the client go away 'cause sometime they take advantage of my patience and disponibility. I will try to do more hourly contracts, I see that they're a lot better for the freelancers in general

2ef54d61
Community Member

For the record, your renders look great. Sad that you're having to use your skills for goofy NFT monkeys, but the market is what it is. 

Thank you Stuart! Unfortunately work is work, I still have to grow my own artistic identity, maybe one day they will contact me 'cause they like my style and create projects based on my own personality.

Anyway, I appreciate the compliments! 🙂

the3dguru
Community Member

I've worked with a lot of digital artists at all levels of ability, and if I was being honest I'd say you work is fine. Some of it feels a little uninspired, I'd want to see something more personal in your portfolio. Still, its definitely worth paying for. I think the NFT stuff is the best part of you portfolio.

However, that has very little to do with the revisions problem. If you are doing NFT work then you should expect that to be scammy. The NFT market is a pyramid scheme with a veneer of technobabble, the people who invest in it aren't going to be worried about exploiting you.

Otherwise, its all about setting expectations and making sure the client communicates properly. Perhaps agree a certain number of revisions, and then they pay for revisions after that.

prestonhunter
Community Member

Art is subjective.

So if ANY artist asks if they are a bad artist, the following are the correct answers:

You ARE a bad artist.

[and]
You are a GOOD artist.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members