๐Ÿˆ
ยป Forums ยป Freelancers ยป Re: Avaiclaibity of freealncer as per budget
Page options
shibajyoti
Community Member

Avaiclaibity of freealncer as per budget

If freelancer connects are charged on average 6 connects based on the demand of the work on this platform,

 

Upwork should also create a filter that segregate low budget clients from acccesing high performance and competent freelancers. Professional frealancers are often misused with high workloads in return for meagre payments. THis will not only Help FL's, but also boost the avg amount Serivce fees Upwork earns per client.

 

Upwork to client :  To access  experienced freelancers, kindly increase your budget.

 

 

2. Clients posting hourly contacts shouldnt be allowed to create fixed price or pay per word deals. its a huge loss at the Freealncers'  end. 

 

This is not only about the time spent for the job (eg. writing), but also the duration required for searching information and organizing that takes a lot of time, but is unpaid.

 

These are all form my personal experiences. Anyone with me ?


Regards,

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

That would be me, then. 

Yes you are limited in your options, since writing in your non-native language is never recommended. Your profile shows that, and your post too. You didn't even afford us the courtesy of correcting your obvious mistakes. Everything you write should be flawless. Clients can read the forum too, you know. 

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27
martina_plaschka
Community Member

No. You are free to manage your work any way you want to. I don't need upwork to interfere with that on my behalf. 

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

No, I don't want Upwork to decide which clients should have access to my profile; I'm perfectly capable of turning down any job that I don't want to do. I also have saved job searches set up to filter out clients with low budgets. Why don't you do that?

shibajyoti
Community Member

I would like to have this answer from  Non native freelancers who are not from English speaking countires.

 

We are very much limited with our options, especially Writing.

I want to decide myself who to work for.

Why can't you?


Shibajyoti B wrote:

 

We are very much limited with our options, especially Writing.


And you want to limit them even more?

Because there is a notification at the bottom of the job applcation saying your home country isnt on the  preference list of the client. 

 

Clients are looking for FL from EU, USA, CA, GB, etc.

 

Why should the clients be bothered about FL's  location ?? Is that sort of RACISM ?

 

 


Shibajyoti B wrote:

I would like to have this answer from  Non native freelancers who are not from English speaking countires.


What does that have to do with anything?


Petra R wrote:


What does that have to do with anything?


You'd think it wouldn't matter to a 'high performance and competent' freelancer...

shibajyoti_0-1645292140760.png

WHY ????

Why not?

It is a reasonable expectation that a client looking for a native English writer will find them more easily in an English speaking country. 

Yes, there might be English natives living in a non-English speaking country, so this person will have a little more difficult time convincing the client they are right for the job. 

Non-native English speakers should only write in their native language. 

Thats what i was telling the wholetime, and people denied . We are short of opportunities based on this criteria.

You are not correct. Clients can select any way they wish, and I don't think the selection options should be taken away from them. 

You can still apply, even if they deselected your country. 

That would be me, then. 

Yes you are limited in your options, since writing in your non-native language is never recommended. Your profile shows that, and your post too. You didn't even afford us the courtesy of correcting your obvious mistakes. Everything you write should be flawless. Clients can read the forum too, you know. 

wescowley
Community Member


Shibajyoti B wrote:

 

Upwork should also create a filter that segregate low budget clients from acccesing high performance and competent freelancers


No. Freelancers are perfectly capable of ignoring or filtering out posts that don't meet their requirements. That control should stay with freelancers.

 


2. Clients posting hourly contacts shouldnt be allowed to create fixed price or pay per word deals. its a huge loss at the Freealncers'  end. 

 


No. The form of the contract is between the freelancer and the client. You don't want to take a fixed-price job? Then ask the client to make it hourly and negotiate the controls they need to make that acceptable to them.  I often take the other tack and ask clients to change hourly offers to fixed-price.

 

shibajyoti
Community Member

shibajyoti_0-1645292291715.png

This is what happens for high budget jobs . Please explain what my location has to do with jobs ? 

 

This is sort of partial hatred against against Asians I reckon.

tlbp
Community Member


Shibajyoti B wrote:

shibajyoti_0-1645292291715.png

This is what happens for high budget jobs . Please explain what my location has to do with jobs ? 

 

This is sort of partial hatred against against Asians I reckon.


So, let's say a client is forced to accept all applications from anywhere. 

Would they also be forbidden to ask the freelancers where they are from? Or, once the freelancer spent their connects to apply, could the client then find out where they are from and reject them on that basis, after wasting the freelancer's time and connects? 

If they weren't allowed to reject someone based on location following the receipt of an application, how would Upwork police this rule? Would the client have to make up some other reason to reject the applicant? Would Upwork then have to judge whether the client's reason was false and they were really rejecting the freelancer based on their location? 

 

Tl;dr: If a client will likely reject someone because of the client's personal bias, isn't is better for the freelancer to know before they spend connects to apply for the gig? 

shibajyoti
Community Member

What has my origin to do with my skills ? If IELTS gives me C2, I AM STILL INELIGIBLE JUST BEUCASE I'M NOT NATIVE ?

 

IS THAT YOUR POINT ?

 

 

Why should it matter ?

shibajyoti
Community Member

yes

 

CLEINTS SHOULD BE SEARCHING FOR FREELANCERS WITH REQUIRED SKILLS, NOT RACES.

 

UPWORK IS NOT GIVING RELOCATION VISAS FOR THESE FILTERS TO BE TAKEN INTO CONSIDERATION. .

 

What is the point of having a C2 CEFR level then ?

I Completely Deny your Opinion. everyone has a right to selection.

 

UPWORK PUTS A RESTRICTON BASED ON COUNTRY, WHICH I AM COMPLETELY AGAINST.

 

YOU ARE LOOKING FOR TALENT. NOT RACES.


Shibajyoti B wrote:

UPWORK PUTS A RESTRICTON BASED ON COUNTRY, WHICH I AM COMPLETELY AGAINST.

 

YOU ARE LOOKING FOR TALENT. NOT RACES.


Clients might be looking for people in the same time zone. It's not about race, it's about availability. Finally, it is about skills, so you need to demonstrate that you have them. 

You are not doing a good job at this task. 


Shibajyoti B wrote:

UPWORK PUTS A RESTRICTON BASED ON COUNTRY, WHICH I AM COMPLETELY AGAINST.

Upwork is doing no such thing. There is no restriction. Those are preferences. And the client's choice.

 

What that basically means is that those clients want native speakers. Clients who want their material to be great for a native speaking audience want freelancers who can actually create such material, native speakers in other words.

Shibajyoti, I think you are fighting the wrong battle.

 

Searching by country is not searching by race. Many companies require this, for instance, for timezone reasons. Other companies require it because their job is not only about words but about knowing the geography and traditions. Some people they just think a native will perform better than a non-native with the same certificates and experience, and I'm one of them. You can't simply remove it because it bothers you.

 

It is bothering you because you feel this puts you in disadvantage, but not because you think it is racist, I'm pretty sure you can see that too.

 

The truth is, you are wrong here as well, this does not put you in disadvantage, you do that yourself. I'm not being harsh. I'm in a similar position. I do web development without an engineering title, I'm not native in this world and I play with disadvantage. But I did this myself, I'm not blaming someone else.

 

If you want to be competitive you need to find a niche where you play with advantage. Specialize in something, become more visible, create some branding...

 

In my case, I specialize in maps while at the same time diversify my skills, I can do frontend, backend, teaching, writing,... I have had ups and downs, like most people, but I've been doing this for a while outside Upwork.

 

In your case, I'm not sure because I don't know well enough your field. You could always improve your skills, get more certificates, specialize in a particular topic, ... What I do know is that the battle you need to fight is not against Upwork or the job posting form but against your competition.

Go try applying for a native country based position from a non-native country, even if you hold a C2 CEFR level.

 

I thought these all happen when you neeed to give out relocation VIsas. Why here ?


Shibajyoti B wrote:

Go try applying for a native country based position from a non-native country, even if you hold a C2 CEFR level.


I do that all the time. Lots of clients for my language set a preference for freelancers to be in Germany. I am a native German speaker, but live in Italy. Not been a problem.

 

Your issue is that you are not a native English speaker, and that wouldn't change if you lived elsewhere.

shibajyoti
Community Member

If I am wrong, lets do a small test.

 

How about Upwork removes the pics and locations of all freelancers / clients for a day or two and check how it goes ?

 

Upwork is a remote working platform, so except for a few cases, the location isn't really necessary.

 

Go ahead. I dare you.


Shibajyoti B wrote:

How about Upwork removes the pics and locations of all freelancers / clients for a day or two and check how it goes ?


How would that help clients?

Or freelancers, for that matter?


(Hint: It wouldn't)

deborah-ponzio
Community Member

I noticed that location and language requirements in job posts are often jammed by the poster as they make no sense and sometimes clash with the text of the job post. For instance, a job post requiring Italian native skills, with the location set in Malaysia or similar, and the language set to French. In my view, it is the result of poorly made copy & paste and a haste in publishing the posts. I would take them all with a grain of salt. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths