🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Been invited to discuss a contract outside Up...
Page options
484ea8f0
Community Member

Been invited to discuss a contract outside UpWork: is it okay?

Hello everyone.
If there is another topic/thread covering this subject, I apologise beforehand because I failed to screen through the huge flow of information than can be found here. Let me also thank you in advance for taking time to read and reply this post.
As soon as I opened my e-mail ibox, I found a job proposal from a client I have never worked with. Within the offer, the client included their contact related to a non-UpWork instant messaging app.
I tried to contact the client via the contract room, but it was not found; therefore, I eventually sent them a private message in order to clarify a few points of the offer and start communicating with the person who was hiring me.

Is this alright or not to directly defer communication to somewhere else, starting off with discussing the proposal? Because I thought that there would be no record of what was eventually agreed.
Am I being over-cautious?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mdshorabhossain
Community Member

Hello Maria, Never do such kind of thing. If your clients prefer to talk in any other specific platform, i suggest at least start the contract in Upwork and can use another communication platform. But make sure you are getting paid via upwork only. Best of luck for you!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
artist78
Community Member

Hi Maria, do you mean your Upwork messages inbox or your email inbox as you wrote it? I am assuming the former. Upwork TOS does not allow outside communication at least before a contract is started and can get you banned, so would stay away from that. And a lot of scam clients use messaging apps esp. t-gram to either send you hacking software or steal identities/ money, so that is a red flag in itself.

484ea8f0
Community Member

I thought so, but I wanted to make sure. The offer was also too good to be true.
Thank you so much for your satisfactory explanation.

mdshorabhossain
Community Member

Hello Maria, Never do such kind of thing. If your clients prefer to talk in any other specific platform, i suggest at least start the contract in Upwork and can use another communication platform. But make sure you are getting paid via upwork only. Best of luck for you!

Thank you so much.

Yes, indeed via UpWork only. That's why I'd rather keep communication related to anything related to UpWork on UpWork. It helps drawing a line between my work life and my private life, with all due respect.

Best luck!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members