🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Benefits of Identity Verification?
Page options
andre_z
Community Member

Benefits of Identity Verification?

Hello,

I know this might be a dumb question, but I was really wondering what are all the benefits (and cons) of having an identity verification badge here in upwork.

Similar to other sites (youtube, twitter, etc...) most freelancers are not famous so having problems related to fake accounts are not much of a problem. Any input is appreciated!

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
browersr
Community Member

There is no con. This is an additional mechanism that gives potential clients perhaps further comfort that the freelancer they could be working with is who they say they are. Having problems with fake accounts is a problem. This isn't like Twitter where it's more about someone impersonating someone else. I don't think that is the concern here. This is about helping clients feel comfortable with the unknown on the other end who they likely will never meet. If clients get additional comfort then it helps everyone. If not, it hurts no one. 

petra_r
Community Member

Andre Z wrote:

I know this might be a dumb question, but I was really wondering what are all the benefit of having an identity verification badge here in upwork.

You get to keep your account.

Andre Z wrote:

Similar to other sites (youtube, twitter, etc...) most freelancers are not famous so having problems related to fake accounts are not much of a problem.

You clearly have not been around that long. Fake profiles are a massive problem which necessitate the expensive process of identity verification in the first place.

andre_z
Community Member

Thanks for your responses!

Keeping my account seems like a good enough reason and I got myself verified.

Well, I've been in upwork for a year now - which might not be much - but I have only experienced Upwork from the perspective of the freelancer. I never knew it could be that much of a problem from the freelancer's side, only from the client's side. Good to know.

16de01d3
Community Member

Hello,

What do you mean by keeping your account? I have been actually wondering about that. I recently got myself verified and got Identity Verified Badge. So will my account be disabled if I couldn't earn (like for about 30 days) even after my Identity verification? Thanks in advance!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members