🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Big Client
Page options
a77045c6
Community Member

Big Client

Hi,

I want to share this information.

A big company offered $15-25 for English to Thai translations, so I sent them a proposal. They interviewed me and said they need the 3 files back within the next 5 hours and the budget is $21.

I told them sorry, my hourly rate is $15. May you increase? It's the official document with formatting, it takes time.

The adoption certificate can be done, but the other two needed more time. Then they hired another freelancer.

What do you think? 😅low rate.png

7 REPLIES 7
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Charge them what you think your time and effort are worth. If I have a client who demands a very short turnaround on a project I increase my usual hourly rate by 50%.

If you think this is a company you will get substantial work from in the future (often promised, rarely delivered) you might be a bit more flexible pricewise, but don't give your services away. Whatever you charge for this project will be the price they expect to pay you in the future.

I agree to charge extra as it's urgent, and it's my sleeping time.

Sorry, I misunderstood after I rechecked their work history. It's a small company (2-9 people) because I saw $700K total spent. 😆 (943 jobs post / $10.64 hr avg hourly rate paid)

BTW, thank you so much for your advice. I feel better now after I lost my 2 Connects. 😂

williamtcooper
Community Member

Hi Apinia, let someone else have the joy. Have a great day!

Hi William. thank you for your message. Nothing is permanent, clients and projects come and go like the last train to London. 😀

Oh, I already let others enjoy especially this client, lol. 

r2streu
Community Member

In my experience, clients get what they pay for. As a narrator, I've had the joy of reading work done by bargain-basement translators. For all the good it did, the client may have been just as well off running it through Google Translate. If the client is willing to settle for crap work, that doesn't mean YOU have to settle for crap wages. 

Occasionally, it's worth educating them on this point... but usually they have to find out for themselves. 

a77045c6
Community Member

Hi Randall,

Thank you so much for your advice. Your messages made me think of this verse "forgive them; for they do not know what they do". If they were Thai clients, I would tell them that "I pay you $21 and then you translate these official/legal documents for me within 5 hours, lol. Pray for the heart and thoughts of all clients on Upwork. 😊

f1fae741
Community Member

Hi Apinia,

if they could get the work for free they would! You charge what your knowledge and effort are worth, if a client does not respect that then let someone else have them! Good luck!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members