🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Bonus as a payment + fees
Page options
mcvargasb
Community Member

Bonus as a payment + fees

Hello,

I am currently working with a new client that set the first milestone for the first task, but is paying the rest of the tasks using just bonuses. The fee for the bonus is 20 %, but I see these earnings (bonuses) are not being taken into account as 'earnings by one client'.

This is going to be a long-term cooperation, so it would be great to reach 500 $ and have only a fee of 10%. So, I am not sure if these bonuses would count to reach that amount of 500 $.

Thank you in advance for the clarifitacion!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Carmen V wrote: The fee for the bonus is 20 %, but I see these earnings (bonuses) are not being taken into account as 'earnings by one client'.

Yes, they are! Any and all earnings from that client are.  But they are also risky. There is no protection for bonus payments.

Carmen V wrote: So, I am not sure if these bonuses would count to reach that amount of 500 $.

They do count. Why is your client not paying you with properly funded milestones?

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
petra_r
Community Member

Carmen V wrote: The fee for the bonus is 20 %, but I see these earnings (bonuses) are not being taken into account as 'earnings by one client'.

Yes, they are! Any and all earnings from that client are.  But they are also risky. There is no protection for bonus payments.

Carmen V wrote: So, I am not sure if these bonuses would count to reach that amount of 500 $.

They do count. Why is your client not paying you with properly funded milestones?

ashrafkhan81
Community Member

Do not agree to get paid by bonuses, even if it means canceling this contract! 

Last few days we have seen many such cases of clients promising payments by way of bonuses, and paying a very small amount by way of either manually logged hours of milestones. 

If you insist on milestones, the client himself will cancel the contract, if he agrees to milestones get him to create some "logical and reasonable" milestone of significant value, not 5-10 dollars! 

Almost unlikely, but if he agrees to create milestones do work only covered by the milestone activated. 

Do not send any kind of money crypro, virtual currency or even out regular bank transfer to the client or to his friends even if he promises twice the amount by way of bonuses or even funded milestones! 

Better safe than sorry! 

tagrendy
Community Member

"but I see these earnings (bonuses) are not being taken into account as 'earnings by one client'." - could you elaborate? The bonuses as far as I'm aware do count as earnings by the same client. I don't necessarily like the format of working a long term project with a bonus structure, seems like down the line the client may abuse it to get free work, but if it works fine, should be counted as any other earnings?

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members