🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Can we crack down on COVID-19 opportunists?
Page options
n_sappleton
Community Member

Can we crack down on COVID-19 opportunists?

Just as Amazon and eBay are removing sellers from the platform who are selling toilet paper and hand sanitizer at inflated prices, it would be great to see Upwork crack down on opportunists like this.
(A $300 job for a 12,000 word book on investing during a pandemic that is renewed every day)
**edited for Community Guidelines**

3 REPLIES 3
prestonhunter
Community Member

Natalie:

Taking advantage of COVID-19 is not a violation of Upwork ToS.

Many people are taking advantage of COVID-19. Some people are catching up on TV shows they have wanted to watch, but previously didn't have time to do so. Some people are enjoying spending more time with their families. Some people are making money in unexpected ways.

You can't report a job posting that asks for freelancers to write a book about the topic. But if the job does not appeal to you, then do not send a proposal.

Well of course it isn’t a violation. That’s my point.

Here’s eBay’s message:

COVID-19 is creating unprecedented challenges for eBay’s small business sellers across the country and around the world. We’re monitoring the situation closely and our eBay community - our buyers, sellers and employees - remain our top priority.

Protecting Buyers.

eBay is blocking or removing items on our marketplace that make false health claims related to COVID-19. We are also blocking or removing listings that may violate US laws or regulations, eBay policies, or that offer unfair pricing for our buyers.

The clue is in “unprecedented”. Kudos to eBay for creating new terms of service that protect platform users. I am saying it would be great to see Upwork do the same.

Natalie S wrote:
Well of course it isn’t a violation. That’s my point.

Here’s eBay’s message:

COVID-19 is creating unprecedented challenges for eBay’s small business sellers across the country and around the world. We’re monitoring the situation closely and our eBay community - our buyers, sellers and employees - remain our top priority.

Protecting Buyers.

eBay is blocking or removing items on our marketplace that make false health claims related to COVID-19. We are also blocking or removing listings that may violate US laws or regulations, eBay policies, or that offer unfair pricing for our buyers.

The clue is in “unprecedented”. Kudos to eBay for creating new terms of service that protect platform users. I am saying it would be great to see Upwork do the same.

We all encounter jobs with ridiculous budget regardless of current virus situation.

As Preston wrote - if it doesn't appeal to you, don't send your proposal.

Again, whole world being in this awful situation or not, it's the same.
Low paying clients exist, freelancers who are willing to accept them (or happily to send work for free, because reasons..) exist.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members