🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client asking me to install digital finance s...
Page options
ehsanul_hoq
Community Member

Client asking me to install digital finance software to do a writing project

Hi all,

I have come across a certain issue. One of my recent clients hired me and assigned me a quick job very recently. However, before assigning future projects he wants me to have digital finance software installed. He wants the software to be fully functional using VPN although such software is banned in my country. 

Although he is claiming that it's not for trading purposes but is there any chance that this can create trouble for me. I've already said to the client that I am just a writer so it's not possible for me to create functional digital accounts just to write blogs.

Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9
petra_r
Community Member

Mohammed Ehsanul H wrote:

...such software is banned in my country. 

...is there any chance that this can create trouble for me.

Doesn't this answer your own question?

Hi Petra.

Thanks for your reply. I know the question might sound silly when I said 'such software is banned in my country. '. But as a freelancer making a decision to return a client is also difficult since he is asking me to use a VPN. So, when I saw your response I felt more confident about the next steps. I have refused to use any external software that is banned in my country for writing work. 

Thanks again.

re: "He wants the software to be fully functional using VPN although such software is banned in my country."

I thought that was pretty funny, actually.

The financial software MAY INDEED BE BANNED in his country. Bangladesh does indeed ban certain websites that are widely used elsewhere, and certain software.

But if the original poster is referring to VPN... It is just a myth that VPN is banned in Bangladesh. VPN is perfectly legal there.

(Aside from legality, I'm more concerned about the nature of the "financial software" referred to by the original poster... Software which he doesn't have any understanding of.)

Okay... He subsequently added another post and clarified:

re: "But as a freelancer making a decision to return a client is also difficult since he is asking me to use a VPN. So, when I saw your response I felt more confident about the next steps. I have refused to use any external software that is banned in my country for writing work."

So the original poster knows that VPN isn't banned. He was referring to the software, not VPN. He understood that the client was asking him to use VPN in an attempt avoid the country's ban on the software.

Which the original poster realized was a bad idea to get involved with.

Preston H wrote:

So the original poster knows that VPN isn't banned. He was referring to the software, not VPN. 

Of course he was. That was crystal clear from the original post.

Any kind of digital currency trading product/software is illegal in my country. VPN is not. That's why the client asked me to use VPN to avoid the issue.

Mohammed Ehsanul H wrote:

Any kind of digital currency trading product/software is illegal in my country. VPN is not.

I know and you were perfectly clear about that.

There is no legitimate reason why the client would need you to have such software on your computer. It is a huge red flag and I am glad to see that you had the sense to walk away from this.

Client Gone. But I am also happy that I can walk away from a potential problem. And thanks to you and the community, I could make a quick decision.

prestonhunter
Community Member

Well... as a freelancer... I use different types of software to do my job.

I use software that I know and understand. I already use that software or own that software or have it on my computer before a client hires me. My understanding of that software is part of what makes me an experienced expert in a particular field.

If a client asked me to install software that I don't understand, and which I don't normally need in order to do my work, then I would be suspicious.

Hi Preston,

I completely agree with you. I've been using apps and software that helps me to complete my writing projects for my clients. These are directly related to writing work. But installing software that is not required for a writing job is not something I should do. 

Thanks again for making me understand how to approach the situation. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members