cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client claiming he never worked with me. I have hourly proof, payment @ work to prove otherwise!

Community Guru
Robin H Member Since: May 28, 2019
21 of 36

At this point don't message the client anymore.  You're just making the situation worse.  If Upwork won't do anything about the feedback you have the opportunity to respond to the feedback.  It won't change the rating but it may make you feel better to be able to respond publicly. 

Ace Contributor
Jenny G Member Since: May 16, 2019
22 of 36

Yes, you're absolutely right. He's obviously ignoring my messages from this morning. I need to go to Upwork.

Is there a place to report the incident so I can get this removed?

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
23 of 36

Hi Jenny, 

I'm sorry to learn about your experience with this client. I will go ahead and look into this, and if things need to be escalated to another team, I will do so. Please know that I may not be able to come back here with more information about this client to comply with our privacy policy which I hope you understand. 

-Avery
Untitled
Ace Contributor
24 of 36

Awesome, 

So is there another place to contact you about it? Or is there a place I can report it with all my backups, messages, files and links to prove that I did indeed work for this client?

Thanks -- Jenny

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
25 of 36

Hi Jenny, 

If we need any of these information, we will contact you directly. Thank you!

-Avery
Untitled
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
26 of 36

Jenny G wrote:

Awesome, 

So is there another place to contact you about it? Or is there a place I can report it with all my backups, messages, files and links to prove that I did indeed work for this client?

Thanks -- Jenny

Upwork doesn't need reams of proof to know whether you worked for the client or not. This isn't an issue of proof. If you didn't work for the client, they wouldn't be able to leave feedback. The issue is whether a client can leave feedback saying they did not work with you.

Now, it is entirely possible that even though you are communicating with someone named X, they account is currently being managed by someone named Y. In which case, when asked for a review, Y might legitimately say, "I did not work with this person." And Y may choose to give you a mid-range rating because they don't know if you were great or terrible.

It is also possible that no matter how much you remind the client that they worked with you and loved your work, they don't remember. So, you might be able to get the comment about not working with you removed, but it won't change your score. In fact, the client could say, "Oh yes, I did work with her. But I'm now changing my score to 1 star." If that were to happen, you would have zero recourse. Clients can give you any rating they want regardless of how many messages you have where they said they loved your work. 

I am going to predict that Upwork at the most will remove the written feedback, leaving you with the star rating. 

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
27 of 36

This is probably one of the rare times I'd respond to that feedback. I'd probably point out that it's impossible to charge a client if they didn't open a contract with you, so perhaps the client misremembers since it's been a while since you two worked together.

Community Guru
Miriam H Member Since: May 16, 2017
28 of 36

Tonya P wrote:

Jenny G wrote:

Awesome, 

Thanks -- Jenny

Upwork doesn't need reams of proof to know whether you worked for the client or not. This isn't an issue of proof. If you didn't work for the client, they wouldn't be able to leave feedback. The issue is whether a client can leave feedback saying they did not work with you.

Now, it is entirely possible that even though you are communicating with someone named X, they account is currently being managed by someone named Y. In which case, when asked for a review, Y might legitimately say, "I did not work with this person." And Y may choose to give you a mid-range rating because they don't know if you were great or terrible.

If this is the case, is it possible the client didn't transfer the account ownership properly and Upwork could ban them? 

Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
29 of 36

Miriam H wrote:

Tonya P wrote:

Jenny G wrote:

Awesome, 

Thanks -- Jenny

If this is the case, is it possible the client didn't transfer the account ownership properly and Upwork could ban them? 

Goodness, I hope not. 

I don't think there is a prescribed process for a client to hand off to a colleague or peer. Maybe there should be, but honestly, the client UI is clunky enough. If they tried to create that kind of guard rail, it would probably make things worse instead of better.

After reading the whole thread, I think Jen and Tiffany and Tonya probably have called it accurately. That means there are two takeaways:
(1) Any time a message makes you think, 'What the actual f is going on, is this client suddenly demented?' then it's a good idea to back up and read it a few more times with different intonations and see if an alternative perspective emerges. 
(2) Don't leave jobs sitting open for eons. (I'm bad about doing it, but that doesn't make it good practice.)

Also, to the OP: If the whole fb can't be removed, then I'd leave the comment because it sort of accounts for the 3 stars, i.e. the client was somehow mistaken/confused. 

Ace Contributor
30 of 36

Thanks for the perspective. 

It sucks that I'll be stuck with this 3 star rating due to no fault of my own. It's hard enough to get work. 

And yes, I do want the comment to remain if the rating must remain. The comment shows that the client is confused, especially since right above it is my comment about how fun the project was. 

This is just absolutely frustrating. Smiley Frustrated

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS