🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client does not close contract saying that he...
Page options
6d520841
Community Member

Client does not close contract saying that he will have to pay original fee for new a contract.

Hi. I have been working on upwork for last 2 months. I have got a good start and already achieved 100% JSS. I have done 2 tasks with a client. He is responsive but very reluctant in closing contracts. I managed to get the first one closed after many requests. Now he is not closing the 2nd contract citing "if I close the contract then I have to pay original contract fee next time". What does this imply. Anybody experienced this. What are the drawbacks for me? Upwork has already released the escrow amount. And client is satsified with the task.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You've done 8 jobs and have a 100% JSS, so it's not like you're just starting out. If I were you, I'd be more concerned about making clients happy and getting their repeat business, than about badges or how my profile looks.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
wlyonsatl
Community Member

You have a client who's too cheap to pay for Upwork's services - he wants to keep you on call.

I'd wait a couple of months and if no further work comes your way from this client, close the project yourself. Send the client a note telling him you enjoyed working with him and you look forward to working with him in the future.

Thankyou Will for a prompt reply. I have traced my record to find that the previous project was also closed by me. But I was lucky he gave a 5 star rating afterwards. I dont think if I close the contract again he will give me a 5 star. As of now I am just politely requesting him for closure. 

Additionally, if I take new work from him as a new milestone is there any drawback?

What's wrong with being kept on call? A client who wants to give you repeat business is a good thing, not a bad thing.

If the number of clients who want to keep you on call grows large enough, Christine, other potential new clients may think you're too busy to work on their project. Old clients that pay nothing and new clients who don't hire do no freelancer any good.

And yes, I have had potential clients ask me if I have time for their projects. So I don't leave idle projects idle in perpetuity. 

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Upwork has started charging clients a fee of up to $5 every time they start a new contract, so I can understand why he doesn't want to close your current contract.

If the client might have more work for you, why not keep it open? There are absolutely no drawbacks for you - it's not doing you any harm. I've had open contracts for over a year, and the clients give me work every month or so and just charge it to the same contract. There might be a drawback if you keep pestering the client; he might decide to find a freelancer who doesn't mind keeping projects open.

Thankyou Christine. So it is essentially a choice between more earnings vs more tasks and rating on your profile. At this stage I am more concerned with having more projects on my profile.

You've done 8 jobs and have a 100% JSS, so it's not like you're just starting out. If I were you, I'd be more concerned about making clients happy and getting their repeat business, than about badges or how my profile looks.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members