🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client does not want to close a contract
Page options
read_your_data
Community Member

Client does not want to close a contract

Hi,

I hope everyone is doing well.

As a top-rated plus freelancer, I recently encountered a new issue with an hourly contract where the client doesn't want to close the contract even after I completed my side of the deal (he also accepted and paid for the hourly contract we had).

I even tried to reach out to him by phone, explaining that we need to close the contract in order to move on to new tasks.

However, he continues to request things unrelated to the original task and suggests I use the hourly tracker for them.

It feels like he is holding my review hostage to keep getting work from me, and I'm concerned he may ask for a refund or leave a negative review later on. He appears to have an ignorant personality.

What should I do about this situation? I don't want him to leave a negative review or affect my profile (such as my Job Success Score or anything else). I really don't want to work for him anymore.

do I need to refund everything to him after all the work I have done?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
spectralua
Community Member

May be client dont want to pay another $10 for new contract.

Keep it as-is. Say that you are busy if do not like other tasks. Or do and gain some additional money.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
2297e2bc
Community Member

Close it yourself - I do it all the time after I get paid.

Go to the contract, top  right corner the ... dropdown. 

( I think! Its a memory reflex now)

read_your_data
Community Member

Thank you for your response, David.

The only issue is that from his tone, it seemed like he might give a bad review if I do that.

He said, "I will just pause the contract," and after all the effort I've put into maintaining good rates, I don't want this to be affected or to have a decrease in my JSS. That's the actual problem.

Ahmed D.,

Just let him pause the contract, if that's what he prefers.

If he comes back later to unpause the contract, you can tell him you're too busy with other contracts to take up the work right away (whether that's true or not).

If he doesn't come back within a few weeks, close the contract and tell him you'll be glad to re-start at his convenience (whether or not that's true).

But, at the end of the day, there may be no perfect way to extricate yourself from this client without upsetting him. 

totally true 😞

spectralua
Community Member

May be client dont want to pay another $10 for new contract.

Keep it as-is. Say that you are busy if do not like other tasks. Or do and gain some additional money.

Thank you for your response.

I was not aware of the $10

Not sure this was the solution. If you leave contracts open, this shows on your profile and , to other clients, appears you are not completeing jobs or are irrespomsible. Same holds true for a lot of open milestones. Although that job mey be done, and evryone is satisfied, a new client looking at you may think again., never completes assignments!

A better solutioon would have UW offer client discounts for every job they book! Like loyalty rerwards at the Hardware Store!  At least then , still only meaningful offers would get put out.

You can check my profile, lot of longterm and abandoned contracts there. Some regular clients found contract and asking me for other works. Some will never return.

But noone from new clients don't care about that. Because terms agreed within interview. Doesn't care, it was before, a while alive clients was there.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members