🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client keeps requesting money
Page options
delarei
Community Member

Client keeps requesting money

I sent a proposal for this job **edited for Community Guidelines** and was contacted by their project manager about the project. He said I was to pay them US$80 for a deposit, which will be refunded with the payment, because there have been a lot of freelancers that did not complete the job. It sounded like a scam but thought I would give it a shot. So I deposited the money, and completed the job. They said that the job has been done well and they're satisfied with it, but they can't pay me until I pay them another US$200 for an ID card, which will again be refunded with the payment. I have been arguing with the project manager, saying that I would be okay just receiving my deposit back. I don't have to be paid the amount for the job, but I will not be paying them another $200. They keep saying they need to pay me for the full amount, and the only way to do so if so me to pay them $200 for an ID card. Is there a way of reporting them? 

7 REPLIES 7
pgiambalvo
Community Member

Total scam! Do not send them a dime! This is one of many scams you will come across here that Upwork cannot block. Please read this excellent article written by a freelancer who took it upon himself to put it together as a reaction to the number of scams that we are bombarded with: https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/List-of-red-flags-for-scams/m-p/1017044/highlight/true...

Thank you Peter. I should have been smarter.

Do you think there would be a way of getting my deposit back or getting the "Internet police" involved for the scam? Because I see that they keep posting the same job (which I have flagged as inappropriate). 

Sorry, but I don't think you will get it back. But yes, please keep flagging them and reporting them here too, even though they will keep reappearing, even after they are taken down again and again and more people get scammed. Such a drag this happened to you.

re: "Do you think there would be a way of getting my deposit back or getting the 'Internet police' involved for the scam?"

I don't think you should waste your time trying to get this money back.

Fun fact: There is no such thing as the "Internet Police."

Screen Shot 2022-02-21 at 4.05.53 PM.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FqAts-HZ94

sofia2008
Community Member

re: It sounded like a scam but thought I would give it a shot.

Your instinct way right. Trust it more.

-Never communicate outside of Upwork without being formally «hired» on Upwork.

-Never start working before being formally «hired» on Upwork

-Never pay money to clients. You are here to earn money.

I invite you to navigate Upwork's website to get as much information as possible on how this work and how to stay safe. Scammers take advantage of new freelancer as they are sometimes willing to do anything to get a first freelancing job and do not know the basic rules, which are ultimately in place to protect them. By understanding how the platform works, you will be more equipped to face futur opportunities.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Patricia, 

I'm sorry to learn about your experience. Please know that offering and accepting payment of the Upwork website is a violation of the Upwork Terms of Service. I have reported this to the team for their review and action.

In the meantime, it would be best if you read up on the "Safety First!" section of the freelancer resources we have compiled, these tips for avoiding questionable jobs, and this article for more information about working safely through Upwork. 

~ Avery
Upwork
tagrendy
Community Member

It's a scammer, I'm not sure how you processed the payment, I'm guessing not through Upwork. Maybe you can issue a chargeback from your bank to get the $80 back.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members