🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client wants to send me a screen to improve m...
Page options
b70d2470
Community Member

Client wants to send me a screen to improve my work.

Hi everyone!.

I've been working for this good client about 2 months ago, and he would like to send me an screen to make my work better and asked for my address... It's a violation on the platform?

I would appreciate some advice since I'm relatively new here.

Thank you!

Mabel

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

If somebody wants to order a monitor and have it sent to you, or buy a monitor and send it to you, I see no probem with that.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
williamtcooper
Community Member

Mabel,

What do you mean by send a screen. Screen you for something, a screen for a window in the mail, or?

No... I mean a monitor that adapts to my current laptop.

Mabel,

You are a professional freelancer, so ask yourself "what would a professional businessperson do?"

The first thing a professional would do is to not accept some kind of off-the-cuff gift. It either relates directly to a job you have to do for this client or it doesn't. If it's a bonus, ask for cash. The idea I think sounds most professional comes from Will L who suggested, similarly, to that a cash bonus would be the more professional approach.

Beyond that, if a contract isn't in place, beware the wrath of Upwork ... lurking in the shadows as they are wont to do.

Unless people use Dark Mode on their web browsers (like me), there are no shadows in Upwork's UI.

6bfcdaf8
Community Member

Client, sending you a monitor directly delivered to your home address is not a good idea for both parties. Let me explain why : 

* From the client side, they have more obligations when you are an "employee" vs "freelancer". And regulative authorities don't like it when a freelancer uses "company equipment".
* If they are sending you this as a gift, that means they are paying you an amount of money, it doesn't matter if it's in the form of a monitor or cash. This i believe would be taxable income for tax authorities and also for upwork. Otherwise we would all keep our hourly rates low and let the client send us expensive gifts instead.

My suggestion is, if client thinks you are a very talented freelancer with more potential that can be unlocked with better equipment, ask them to send you a bonus through upwork or increase your hourly rates so that you can legitimately upgrade your equipment yourself,

My suggestion is, if client thinks you are a very talented freelancer with more potential that can be unlocked with better equipment, ask them to send you a bonus through upwork or increase your hourly rates so that you can legitimately upgrade your equipment yourself,

Thank you for the suggestion.

christopherbudde
Community Member

I don't see any problem with a gift of a new screen. I have received a better headset because the client had a hard time hearing me in online staff meetings. I do a lot of packaging for light bulbs for one client. She sent me a big box of different lights in their Christmas gift pack. 

Yes, I think he likes my work and having 2 monitors will increase productivity so I could hour more hours... that's it.

Just for clarity. Being more productive does not mean you can work more hours. Being more productive means being able to do more work in the same amount of hours (or the same work in less hours). If you charge per hour, you will be charging the same. If you charge a fixed price, then your rate will increase (you will need less time to do the same work/charge the same).

Hi Marc, I got your  point, I mean my work will be easier. I am doing few hours, and having this equipment (screen) I could do the work faster so my client could send me more work and work more hours.... hope I was clear..

wlyonsatl
Community Member

There is no problem with a client you know well and trust completely sending you a new monitor. It would be easier if they just paid you a bonus for you to buy a new monitor yourself (through Upwork, of course), but the income tax implications are the same.

Upwork would take a commission on the value of any bonus you are paid, so getting around that with a direct delivery of the monitor might not be something Upwork would be OK with.

Decisions, decisions....

7550ba7d
Community Member

Hello client send me work on telegram and said he will pay fixed on telegram after completing and sending my project. It is my new start and first work . I don't know he will pay me or not ? How should I secure my payment? Please guide.

It is a scam, don't fall for it please. 

The client will first send you work, which has no value for him. But you will complete the work. The client will agree on some ridiculously high fee, which you'll find very tempting. 

Once the work is submitted they will keep asking for money for ID card, tax, account opening or some other reason those amountha will be low compared to promised payout eventually at somepoint you will realise you are not getting anything and stop sending more more that's where it all ends. By that time your bank account would have taken a hit or you'd be in debt of you borrowed the money. 

The smart freelancers will quickly realise after reading this and proceed to familiarise themselves with the scams and tos on upw9rk.

Syeda,

If there is no contract on Upwork then you have no contract. If your potential new client won't agree to set up such a contract, you and they are violating Upwork's rules. And you will never be paid by such a client.

To keep yourself safe, follow Upwork's rules and procedures.

elisa_b
Community Member

Please don't be offended Syeda, but you are not going to get a single legit project until you have a profile like that. You will attract only scammers. You might want to consider taking the Academy courses before doing anything else.

Last but not least, if you have a question that is totally unrelated to the original thread, please refrain from hijacking the discussion and start your own new topic. It is more polite.

prestonhunter
Community Member

If somebody wants to order a monitor and have it sent to you, or buy a monitor and send it to you, I see no probem with that.

That's good news. 

Thank you.

One last thought, Mabel. You may have a chance to cultivate this client. In my experience, the better I do for a client, the more work comes my way. I usually am hired as a packaging designer but once they realize I'm a walking art department the projects come fast. 91% of my earnings come from existing clients. Make this relationship into a continuing one with great service.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members