🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Clients paying below minimum wage?
Page options
2b0f3adb
Community Member

Clients paying below minimum wage?

Hello,

Can anyone tell me if I am reading this job posting correctly?  They want someone in the United States to work for $4 - 6.50 per hour.  Am I reading this correctly?  If I am reading this correctly, how can they pay below federal minimum wage?

2024-03-30_11-19-51.png

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
celgins
Community Member

Like David said, independent contractors and/or freelancers are not employees, and are not covered by minimum wage laws in the U.S.

The job is open worldwide, so the client might be looking for a personal/executive assistant outside of the U.S. since many U.S.-based freelancers will ignore the job due to the hourly rate.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
sealvlservices
Community Member

They aren't hiring an employee, they are hiring a freelancer and both can come to whatever terms they want.

celgins
Community Member

Like David said, independent contractors and/or freelancers are not employees, and are not covered by minimum wage laws in the U.S.

The job is open worldwide, so the client might be looking for a personal/executive assistant outside of the U.S. since many U.S.-based freelancers will ignore the job due to the hourly rate.

2b0f3adb
Community Member

Thank you.  I did not realize it was targeted worldwide.  I thought I was looking at the U.S. Only area.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members