🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Connects
Page options
sethmeshko
Community Member

Connects

The connects system seems both broken and a bit scammy.  I have seen a ton of posts from people that don't understand it and feel cheated by it and I am definitely in that camp.

Let’s just start with the premise of having connects in the first place.  Upwork is charging people for the opportunity to apply for a job that they probably will not get, so Upwork is getting fees on something that has no return value for most of the people that use it.  That is obviously a dubious practice just from the start.

Next, connects are only refunded under certain circumstance but those circumstances do not include withdrawing a proposal.  I just spent 6 connects and then lost them on a job that did a bait and switch, they offered an hourly contract and then tried to talk me into a very low fixed priced contract.  I don’t even know how they thought that would work.  But whatever the case if I decide after further investigation of any project that it’s not a fit then I should get all of my connects back if I withdraw.  The fact is that many clients out there are disingenuous, or they do not know what they are asking for. 

Clients throw out offers that are vague or misleading and then upon further inspection I find that the job is not worth the time or frustration, so I withdraw and lose my connects.  It is adding insult to injury.  I have already wasted my time applying for a job that was bunk and I must pay for it too?  That is ridiculous.  The freelancer should not be penalized for the poor morals or ignorance of the client.

And lest we forget Upwork it taking a substantial cut of our wages on the backend too.  So we are paying for the opportunity to get work that we will again pay for the privilege of having?  That is a crazy scam.

I don’t even think connects should exist, but if they do continue to exist, they should be awarded to successful freelancers for free.  For instance, for every $5.00 that Upwork takes they should award the freelancer a connect that never expires.  If that was the arrangement then those of us who earn a lot for Upwork already can use connects liberally without feeling like we are getting nickel and dimed.  Upwork already takes 20% on most work, this extra dig is an insulting and dodgy practice.

13 REPLIES 13
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Yes, Upwork charges 20% - WHEN and IF a freelancer wins a project. But what about the thousands of would-be freelancers who spam clients with useless bids - sometimes for years - and never win any projects? Should they be able to continue using the site forever, having access to projects and often contacting customer service repeatedly (employees that Upwork has to pay), without ever having to contribute even a few dollars to the running of this website? I think it's fair that everyone should contribute something, without expecting any money-back guarantees for not winning jobs. 

So why don't we talk about what IS fair. Connects are cheap - 15 cents each. I understand that this is more money than some can afford, but for people with your hourly rate, it's pocket change. And under some circumstances, you do get your connects refunded (so if you're withdrawing your bids, why don't you stop doing that?). If you bid wisely, you can access thousands of potential clients per month for a few dollars. It costs money to operate a website and do lots of advertising and marketing to bring those clients here. Can you think of any other type of advertising or marketing where you would get this kind of a return on your investment? Because if you can, then you should do that instead.

And no, I don't care about getting rewards. My reward is that I make money on this website. I'm not fussed about getting a few dollars or connects back (precisely because I don't have a "nickel and dime" mentality).

Christine, if you had read my post with more care you would have noticed that I suggested a solution.  That solution was that if you are a successful freelancer that actually earns money for Upwork then you get free connects.  This prevents spamming because there is some initial investment upfront but then once you are on a roll you get free connects.

Please pay attention, read the post thoroughly and then respond with to the entire message rather than just picking out the things you have issue with.  Thanks.

Seth M wrote:

Christine, if you had read my post with more care you would have noticed that I suggested a solution.  That solution was that if you are a successful freelancer that actually earns money for Upwork then you get free connects.  This prevents spamming because there is some initial investment upfront but then once you are on a roll you get free connects.

Please pay attention, read the post thoroughly and then respond with to the entire message rather than just picking out the things you have issue with.  Thanks.

pond with your 

For the most part, successful freelancers on Upwork rarely need to buy connects, so why give them free connects? If they are successful, then they can afford to buy 80 connects for $12.00.  

People come on here to suggest this or that, but unless Upwork discovers that some feature of theirs is not productive, then things are not going to change. So best to suck it up, read the small print, and get on with it. 

Nichola, first, why don't successful freelancers need to buy more connects?

Second, why are all of these responses from the 'Gurus' of the "Community" so hostile?  And also, why are they so frequently the same people?  And why are they such ardent defenders of Upwork's policies? 

Very suspicious. 

Seth M wrote:

Second, why are all of these responses from the 'Gurus' of the "Community" so hostile?  And also, why are they so frequently the same people?  And why are they such ardent defenders of Upwork's policies? 

Very suspicious. 

They are the people who, miraculously, still have the patience and generosity to try and explain (not defend) Upwork's policies to people who somehow fail to grasp the fundamentals of the business model. Upwork's policies which, I might add, have enabled many of us to earn quite a bit of dosh we'd otherwise never have seen.

Seth M wrote:

Very suspicious. 

Why don't successful Upworkers need more connects? Simple: they are good, they are experienceced, they deliver, and therefore, they get invited or they have long-term assignments.

You've been in lockdown too long.  I'm a "guru", because I have posted a zillion times on the forum, it has nothing whatsoever to do with my work profile, which moneywise, is considerably lower than most toprated freelancers on Upwork. 

Why shouldn't I defend a platform I signed up for? I will criticize, but I also signed into a business deal with Upwork, whereby I agreed to their terms and conditions (and their changes). I have been a vociferous critic, but I still want to retain my profile here, and I still need the odd gig here. 

Does this answer your question?  You should get over conspiracy - it is a new ism that should be controlled. 

Seth M wrote:

I see that you're one of these people who gets confused when others don't agree with you, and think that it means they've misunderstood you. It doesn't sound to me like you're interested in finding a solution to reducing spam; your post was all about you and how you don't want to pay for connects. If you had read MY post, I said that I wasn't bothered about getting a few dollars or connects back. Most successful freelancers don't require a "solution" for having to invest a tiny amount of money in running their business. 

As for your response to Nichola, it's always interesting how the most hostile people are surprised when others don't answer their rants with warmth and friendliness. Highly suspicious indeed.

Kettle, you're black.

Seth M wrote:

Kettle, you're black.

That was exactly my point. 

petra_r
Community Member

Seth M wrote:

Upwork already takes 20% on most work, this extra dig is an insulting and dodgy practice.

The vast majority of your income is at 5%, isn't it? 

Petra
Upwork has a scale that they charge that is arranged per client.
Upwork takes 20% on all earnings per client untill you earn more than $500 from that client then
Upwork takes 10% on all earnings per client untill you earn more than 10,000 from that client then
Upwork takes 5% on all earning per client above 10,000. 

So no, on small contracts below $500 we pay 20%.  This is far too much in my opinion.  In my experience most clients come to Upwork specifically because their projects are small, one-off gigs.  These smaller gigs are by far more prevelent in my line of work and because of the 20% dig they are usually not worth.

Seth M wrote:

Upwork takes 5% on all earning per client above 10,000. 

Yes, and almost the whole of your profile's income is from one contract that is way over $ 50k

QED

Petra,  are you stalking me? Smiley Wink

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members