🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Could Upwork Enhance its Anti-Scam Measures t...
Page options
ea76ca41
Community Member

Could Upwork Enhance its Anti-Scam Measures to Protect New Freelancers?

Happy Friday!

I hope this message finds you all well. Lately, I've noticed a concerning trend that's affecting new freelancers like myself and potentially compromising our experience on the platform. It seems that scammers are becoming increasingly adept at targeting us, especially those who are just starting out.

I've heard stories of freelancers, especially newcomers, receiving messages from clients urging them to switch communication to platforms like Telegram. Furthermore, these scammers initially purchase project catalogs and then request a refund, claiming they have already completed the job. Those who are new often fall into such traps and consequently face substantial losses! This practice has raised concerns about the safety of transactions and potential scams.

I'm curious, do you think Upwork could step up its game in terms of anti-scam policies? Maybe by implementing stricter measures to identify and remove these scammers before they even get a chance to approach freelancers? It could save so many of us from falling into their traps and protect our community from these malicious actors.

I'm eager to hear the thoughts and experiences of fellow freelancers on this matter. Let's come together to brainstorm potential solutions and ensure that Upwork remains a secure and trusted platform for all of us.

Stay safe and happy freelancing!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
debi-f
Community Member

Hi Uswah!

Upwork could do it, but they don't do it. Maybe, they don't know how to do it, or they don't want to do it. 

I'll try to help by posting some ideas that I acquired from my experience working 13 years at Upwork (previously Elance).

Upwork has changed in the last 1–2 years. There are fewer invitations and fewer jobs, a lot of new freelancers, more connects required to apply, a lot of SCAMMERS, and even when you flag them, Upwork is not helping.

It seems that Upwork is doing its business selling connects, that's why there are jobs that require 16 connects and they allow people to boost their bids with 50 connects or more (especially the new freelancers), and they keep the scam jobs until people post their bids…using connects, of course.

Some suggestions to find real jobs and avoid scammers:

• Don't search jobs only directly at “Find Work”. Go to the “Search for job” space to apply “Filters”.
  • One of them is “Payment verified” (although today there are scammers with payment verified and Upwork is not checking it, it could help).
  • Other Filter is “Client history”. Check if he posted other jobs, if he hired other freelancers, feedbacks, etc.   
  • Check the Date since the client is a member. Usually the scammers are members from the same day they post their jobs, and they didn't hire anyone. 
  • DON'T BID for jobs that ask for +20, +40 languages translation, or they publish a list of 15 languages, or invitations too good to be true, even when they have their payment verified. They verify their payment from different countries every day. 
  • APPLY TO JOBS THAT FIT YOUR SKILLS. Don't apply to 100 jobs, wasting connects and money.
  • ALWAYS CHECK THE CLIENT'S PROFILE before sending a proposal, even when it fits my skills.  
  • DON'T APPLY and don't contact if they publish a link (telegram, mail, skype, etc.) outside Upwork.  
  • DON'T start working or deliver any work if the contract didn't start for Upwork, and until the client has his payment verified and/or the money funded (specially if it's your first work with this client). 
  • DON'T BOOST YOUR BIDS. If you do it, you are paying to Upwork for finding a job instead of earning money from your work. Serious clients will find the best options according to your skills and not according to the amount of bids you use.  
  • I suggest NOT PAYING A MEMBERSHIP in this situation. Just use the 10 connects they give you for free and buy 10 more ($1.5) ONLY when you find a good job for you. 
  • I recommend your Profile to be visible to Upwork members and NOT Public outside Upwork. This way you avoid people outside Upwork (for example, scammers) to find you and enter for posting a job or inviting you. 

Maybe if Upwork will not earn extra-money from us, they will decide to control the platform and check the clients before they post jobs. And, possibly, they will avoid the scammers...

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Upwork has to find the right balance between better security and client payment methods against not running off future good clients with inconvenient or harder-to-use vetting and payment protection procedures. 

It's no doubt a moving target and a constant game of whack-a-mole, but we really don't know how extensive the total $ effect of scamsters is for Upwork or freelancers. We do know the company has multimillion losses each year on hourly projects and, to a lesser extent, fixed price projects. So Upwork is no doubt constantly looking at ways to stem these losses both for itself and, especially in the case of fixed price projects, freelancers.

Only freelancers who take the right steps to protect themselves will enjoy their Upwork experience. No one should rely solely on Upwork's systems and procedures to protect them from scam artists. Most clients can get by without fully understanding how Upwork works to protect them and help them protect themselves. Freelancers don't have that luxury.

You're right that scamsters have a significant impact on Upwork, with multimillion-dollar losses annually. It's a constant challenge to stay ahead of their tactics. While Upwork can implement safeguards, freelancers must also play an active role in protecting themselves. Depending solely on the platform's measures might not be enough; freelancers should educate themselves and take precautions to ensure a positive experience.

Ultimately, it's a collaborative effort between Upwork, freelancers, and clients to create a secure environment. By working together and remaining vigilant, we can maintain a thriving and safe freelancing community.

Thank you for sharing your insights and contributing to this important conversation!

debi-f
Community Member

Hi Uswah!

Upwork could do it, but they don't do it. Maybe, they don't know how to do it, or they don't want to do it. 

I'll try to help by posting some ideas that I acquired from my experience working 13 years at Upwork (previously Elance).

Upwork has changed in the last 1–2 years. There are fewer invitations and fewer jobs, a lot of new freelancers, more connects required to apply, a lot of SCAMMERS, and even when you flag them, Upwork is not helping.

It seems that Upwork is doing its business selling connects, that's why there are jobs that require 16 connects and they allow people to boost their bids with 50 connects or more (especially the new freelancers), and they keep the scam jobs until people post their bids…using connects, of course.

Some suggestions to find real jobs and avoid scammers:

• Don't search jobs only directly at “Find Work”. Go to the “Search for job” space to apply “Filters”.
  • One of them is “Payment verified” (although today there are scammers with payment verified and Upwork is not checking it, it could help).
  • Other Filter is “Client history”. Check if he posted other jobs, if he hired other freelancers, feedbacks, etc.   
  • Check the Date since the client is a member. Usually the scammers are members from the same day they post their jobs, and they didn't hire anyone. 
  • DON'T BID for jobs that ask for +20, +40 languages translation, or they publish a list of 15 languages, or invitations too good to be true, even when they have their payment verified. They verify their payment from different countries every day. 
  • APPLY TO JOBS THAT FIT YOUR SKILLS. Don't apply to 100 jobs, wasting connects and money.
  • ALWAYS CHECK THE CLIENT'S PROFILE before sending a proposal, even when it fits my skills.  
  • DON'T APPLY and don't contact if they publish a link (telegram, mail, skype, etc.) outside Upwork.  
  • DON'T start working or deliver any work if the contract didn't start for Upwork, and until the client has his payment verified and/or the money funded (specially if it's your first work with this client). 
  • DON'T BOOST YOUR BIDS. If you do it, you are paying to Upwork for finding a job instead of earning money from your work. Serious clients will find the best options according to your skills and not according to the amount of bids you use.  
  • I suggest NOT PAYING A MEMBERSHIP in this situation. Just use the 10 connects they give you for free and buy 10 more ($1.5) ONLY when you find a good job for you. 
  • I recommend your Profile to be visible to Upwork members and NOT Public outside Upwork. This way you avoid people outside Upwork (for example, scammers) to find you and enter for posting a job or inviting you. 

Maybe if Upwork will not earn extra-money from us, they will decide to control the platform and check the clients before they post jobs. And, possibly, they will avoid the scammers...

ea76ca41
Community Member

Hi Debora!

Absolutely, Upwork has the potential to enhance its anti-scam measures, but it's a complex challenge. Your insights gained from your extensive 13-year experience are truly valuable. The changing landscape with more freelancers, increased connects, and the persistence of scammers indeed requires a comprehensive approach.

Your suggestions, from filtering job searches to evaluating client history, are practical steps that can make a difference. Collaboratively working towards a safer platform, where freelancers are empowered with knowledge and Upwork continues to refine its policies, can lead to a more secure freelancing environment.

Thank you for your dedication to sharing your insights and contributing to this important conversation. 

Best regards,
Uswah A

the-right-writer
Community Member

It seems that scammers are becoming increasingly adept at targeting us, especially those who are just starting out.

When Upwork decided during the intense pandemic times to let anyone, and I mean anyone, on the platform, the platform was doomed to become what it is now. Upwork removed category limits, overall limits, Upwork tests, and all skills tests. Upwork said they were "too difficult." The connects became a revenue stream, because all those unskilled people are throwing connects like mad, because Upwork tells them that's how you get a job.

The solution to the scams is to be educated, aware, and stop thinking you're going to get a fantastic job with no skills, no profile, and no business experience. No, these people will only be scammed and never earn a penny.

Freelancers have power, if only we would use it. The reason there are so many scammers is that there are so many willing victims. The vast majority know it violates the rules to go outside before a contract, or exchanging money/crypto/etc. If freelancers followed simple rules, most of the scammers would go away.

As long as there are millions of freelancers with no marketable skills, who have done nothing to be self-employed, the scammers will feast. The "victims" almost always know it's breaking the rules, but they don't care. That's the problem. And Upwork rarely gets rid of a freelancer for violating the Terms, so there is little incentive to follow the rules. If you intentionally break the rules, you deserve what you get.

Freelancers, we have the power to make the platform better, without Upwork's help. So, what do you want to do? Keep breaking the rules and being scammed? Well, then don't complain. But, be aware that it's you and freelancers like you that are bringing scammers and chasing away good clients. Your behavior. The good thing about behavior is you can change it.

You make a valid point about the challenges brought by open entry during the pandemic. The removal of certain limits and tests did indeed change the dynamics. Education and awareness are crucial for freelancers to navigate safely. Your emphasis on freelancers' power to shape the platform's integrity is spot on. If we collectively follow the rules, scammers will find it harder to thrive. Let's all play our part in fostering a secure and thriving freelancing community. Your perspective is a reminder that we hold the key to a better platform experience. Thanks for sharing your insights!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members