🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Derisory Proofreading Rates
Page options
achukastudio
Community Member

Derisory Proofreading Rates

Just choked on my morning coffee, reading in a Job Posting:

"Our rate is $0.00375/word per book for copy editing and $0.0025 per book for proofreading."
Needless to say, I shan't be applying, and would hope that supply and demand is not so skewed that they get any response from capable editors.

4 REPLIES 4
richard_wein
Community Member

Michael T wrote:

Just choked on my morning coffee, reading in a Job Posting:

"Our rate is $0.00375/word per book for copy editing and $0.0025 per book for proofreading."
Needless to say, I shan't be applying, and would hope that supply and demand is not so skewed that they get any response from capable editors.

$0.0025 per word is bad enough,  but $0.0025 per book...!

You know how it goes.  There are many people who come to these boards seeking the lowest cost of service opportunity.  Even worse, there are those who seek free advice under the pretext of hiring you for a given job or task.  I feel for you as I do editing for securities offerings and related disclosures, but many people think all that is required is reading skills.  It's a game to be sure.  Continue the mission!

bundie702
Community Member

I've gotten jobs once I explain how much time is involved in both proofreading and editing and gotten clients to meet my rates. Don't give up. Some clients really have no idea. Others don't realize that the quality of the work they receive will be as low as the price they paid (and I don't lower my rates when clients say they've already paid for subpar editing). Others think all freelancers are willing to participate in the rush to the bottom. But one thing is certain: They wouldn't do skilled labor for "paper or plastic" wages, so why should you?

Bettye U wrote:

I've gotten jobs once I explain how much time is involved in both proofreading and editing and gotten clients to meet my rates. Don't give up. Some clients really have no idea. Others don't realize that the quality of the work they receive will be as low as the price they paid (and I don't lower my rates when clients say they've already paid for subpar editing). Others think all freelancers are willing to participate in the rush to the bottom. But one thing is certain: They wouldn't do skilled labor for "paper or plastic" wages, so why should you?

Bettye's reply is full of wisdom. 👍👍

I'm a techie guy working for non-techies. Without the ability to explain what is involved in each piece of work, I'd be dead by now. 😬

I think it this way: It is the seller's responsibility to explain what the buyer will get for what amount of money... and to make sure the explanation is understood. Expectation management is the key in any service, particularly those targeting the high-end market.

Sudden death is inevitable otherwise if it is only the (false!) impression in the buyer's mind that creates the expectation. It can be a challenge to make it all clear using only your profile text and perhaps portfolio, so the only thing left is to set a high price tag to filter out most of the potential clients on purpose. Otherwise you'd starve in doing far too many interviews to be an efficient business.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members