🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Did I handle this wrong..?
Page options
raina5
Community Member

Did I handle this wrong..?

Hi Freelancers,  About a week ago I received a direct message from someone who runs a B2B agency (I looked up their site and is legit) and who has a short, but solid Upwork history, and she expressed that she had looked at my profile and portflio and wanted to know if I would be willing to do a small project to see if I would be a good fit for a longterm position with them. I replied quickly and expressed complete interest in testing the waters with an initial project. I didn't attach work samples as I knew she had already looked at my work, and said she liked it. I asked if there was anything I could supply in terms of additional samples and/or client history, and I let her know I had availability to begin whenever she was ready. I haven't heard back from her (this was last Wednesday) and I'm wondering if there was anything more/different I should have done. Any thoughts or suggestions?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I looked up their site and is legit"

I never look up sites.

Scammers provide the names of real websites and companies. Scammers WANT freelancers to Google those names. That's part of the scam.

re: "I'm wondering if there was anything more/different I should have done. Any thoughts or suggestions?"

I can't think of anything else you should have done.

Just because you don't get hired, it doesn't mean you did anything wrong.

And just because this client hasn't hired you yet, it doesn't mean the client won't hire you in the future.

My advice: Stop thinking about it.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I looked up their site and is legit"

I never look up sites.

Scammers provide the names of real websites and companies. Scammers WANT freelancers to Google those names. That's part of the scam.

re: "I'm wondering if there was anything more/different I should have done. Any thoughts or suggestions?"

I can't think of anything else you should have done.

Just because you don't get hired, it doesn't mean you did anything wrong.

And just because this client hasn't hired you yet, it doesn't mean the client won't hire you in the future.

My advice: Stop thinking about it.

colettelewis
Community Member

She may not be a scammer, but I think you have probably dodged a bullet. If you do a  test for a client, make sure you  have an Upwork contract in place and get paid for it, even if it is just a nominal sum.  Some clients have bona fide profiles, but they also circumvent, so never fall for the  "free sample to see if you are a good fit" line. Also it is against Upwork's ToS to ask freelancers for free work. 

abdurrehman010
Community Member

Hi Kate! First of all, genuine client would never ask you for a free sample after seeing and liking your samples/portfolio. If client is insisting on a sample work, say to him/her that yeah sure, I will do a PAID sample task and then ask him/her to place a contract on Upwork so you get paid as Nichola mentioned above. And yes, flag such client as inappropriate who asks for the free sample.

Second, you have handled it rightly, there is nothing wrong you have done. Just make sure that you follow her up and keep asking for the update. Unfortunately, if she hires someone else, dont get disappointed. Keep chasing her and keep asking (in a polite and professional way) for new projects where you may assist.

So sit back, relax and have faith in your skills and abilities. There are many oppurtunities in the Upwork Marketplace. 😋 👍 

raina5
Community Member

Just as a follow up - I did finally get contacted again, hired for the sample project we had discussed, successfully completed and now hired on for ongoing work with them, yay!! The only thing that was "wrong" was I thought I'd hear back immediately and it took a couple weeks. Sometimes you just have to breathe, lol...

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members