🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Does Upwork actually READ any of the blog art...
Page options
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Does Upwork actually READ any of the blog articles before they're posted?

I've just seen a new article under the blog section that's such a load of complete and utter BS, Upwork should be embarrassed to have published it in the community. Doesn't anyone at least glance over these things and check the credibility of the writer before putting them on the website as "advice" for newbies? I'm not just talking about a difference of opinion; pretty much every sentence in the article is an out-and-out lie. Unbelievable. 

16 REPLIES 16
the-right-writer
Community Member

I have commented on several of those, and nothing happens. Many of those "experts" give wrong information and have no clue how to use the platform. Some of them have no job at all. As long as you swear Upwork is the best platform, the best business, the most wonderful place to be, and swear your allegiance, that's all you need. I have seen two of them with no jobs at all, incorrect information, and horrible advice, but they were singing the praises of Upwork to the masses.

Many of them are lies, and no, Upwork doesn't care. I have sent screenshots of the lies, and no one cares. At most, I receive a "we'll share it with the team."

While there is still no proof that Upwork directly stages scams, there is an abundant amount of data proving they do not care about correct information and the people who receive it. We can debate their motivation, but the facts are indisputable.

Blog posts that promote Upwork are understandable at least, but this is nothing but false advertising about how wonderful and hard-working the author is, when all of his claims are easily debunked as soon as you click on his profile. It's a new low. It should at least have a warning like: "This entire post is purely fictional."

It's not the first and it won't be the last.

As long as they are cheering for Upwork, it's fine. And, no one is supposed to check. Look at the response. No one checks, they just take the statements as proven true.

sein_mac
Community Member

Yeah, it feels like the false advertising thing is getting beyond the beyond on many levels lately.

7bd9bc86
Community Member

Yeah I am new to upwork as well, I have just finished two jobs they have me down for only one. I had at least four other ones contact me and want to talk to me. They block them from the conversation said they were kicked out of the they were restricted from commenting on that chat room. That chat room was the email they sent me. They said that a couple of my jobs were declined. They were not. I don't know if I'm supposed to fill out them tax papers and then I put my card in to get paid instantly whenever they're released the funds Google won't save my cards all five of them I don't understand that you cannot get a reply from upwork ever. I don't think I'm going to stay on this platform very long. I'm just looking to make some extra money but you can't get any help from these people

Speaking of reading, do not do anything on this site until you learn and understand the rules. You're lucky you haven't been scammed before. You have two mystery shopper jobs, and this is your skill title - "Punctuation, Grammer, and Spelling, inappropriate formatting,"

Yes, all of the above are in your title. And you don't see any problem.

It's nice you want to write a book. What does that have to do with skills?

How do you know your proposal was not declined? If a client saw anything like your profile, they would toss your proposal. The only people who will contact you are scammers. If you think I'm being mean, just wait until you lose everything. Maybe you should try reading forward because there are so many basic errors in your profile, you are not qualified for any sort of job in writing, reading, editing, or working with the English language. If English isn't your first language, then you need to work on it and not try to do anything until you have experience and skills.

I can do any job you need done.

No, you can't.

I have strong spelling and grammar skills, i proofread no spellcheck,

The writing, spelling, and grammar is terrible. If you are goofing around in your profile, you are not doing yourself any favors. Scammers are going to take one look at your profile, no matter where you try to freelance, and you will be easily scammed, because you haven't bothered with the rules, and you do not show any marketable skills. Upwork saved you multiple timed from the scammers, but you can't count on them to keep saving you. It's your responsibility to learn how to freelance according to the rules.

If you want to freelance, you have work to do. You must have a marketable skill. Perhaps you have one. Honestly assess your situation. What skill do you have that is better than tens of thousands of freelancers? What skills do you have that you can develop? Accept that you are not an expert in English and move on to something you can develop.

Upwork blocked the scammers, the ones you are disappointed went away, and be thankful they did, because they were scammers, there were no clients, and the job wasn't real. However, many scams are not blocked, and I am trying to prevent you from losing everything because you don't know the rules and are not prepared to freelance here or anywhere.

Learn everything in the Academy, so you know how to use the platform safely, and then take a break to assess your skill and decide if freelancing is right for you.

crart
Community Member

To be honest, reading your profile hurt my eyes. I am not native English speaker but even to me this is complete nonsense, written in such a bad manner, with grammatical errors and bad spelling. If I was a scammer, I'd "hire" you right away, easy target. I also had to read your post couple of times and fill in grammatical blanks to make sense of it. That tells a lot.

What Jeanne said, find a skill you actually have (and no, it's not writing) and base your freelancing on that. See, I wanted to be a cosmonaut when I was a kid but due to bad health I'm sticking to the ground and not trying to pass cosmonaut tests. Know your strength because freelancing is not for "wannabes", no matter how pink future those promo articles paint. If you don't have proven skill, you don't get a job. No blame on any platform, that's on you.

wrote:

Yeah I am new to upwork as well, I have just finished two jobs they have me down for only one. 

Job don't count unless you're paid. Your other jobs are showing as "in progress", not completed.

wrote:

I had at least four other ones contact me and want to talk to me. They block them from the conversation said they were kicked out of the they were restricted from commenting on that chat room. That chat room was the email they sent me.

They were kicked out because they were scammers who wanted to steal money from you.

wrote:

They said that a couple of my jobs were declined. They were not.

This means that the clients declined your proposals, not that you declined the jobs.

wrote:

I don't think I'm going to stay on this platform very long. 

That's probably for the best. You're going to lose money, not earn money, if you stay.

celgins
Community Member

Yes, it's unbelievable and sad. I've seen several blog articles that offer misguided advice. The piece written by the owner of that fabulous 50% JSS might be one of the worst. Even more depressing are the commenters who blindly praise the blog writer.

I'll blame it on workforce reductions that occurred over the last year or two since quality control is lacking on two fronts: 1) Upwork allowed the blog article to be posted; and 2) once identified as errorneous and false, the blog article remains.

Not a good look, Upwork.

The worst part is him telling people that they should offer advice in the forum in order to attract clients - like there isn't already enough Chat GPT crap in here. 😞 

There seems to be a couple of farmers who are peddling ridiculous to disastrous information. When one marketing gimmick fails, on to the next. And they love to focus on the forum, believing, and telling their followers, it means something. No one bothers to read, they just follow obediently.

Nothing in the forum means anything outside the forum. Not the badges, not votes, not comments, not sales pitches, and not being banned - none of it has anything to do with the platform, the jobs, the clients, being a success.

The farmers tell their followers that the chatbots will hide their lack of marketable skills. Or that it will elevate their skills. There are legal issues, but the immediate problem is that the clients, just like most in the forum, can spot the horrible writing and hate it. Many clients will toss the proposal. The program is designed for people with a good command of the language. For those who don't, it is awful and marks the freelancer as a fake who can't write a proposal. Considering the legal and ethical problems with plagiarism, ownership, etc. it's one thing to use the program to play with ideas, it's quite another to have it replace a freelancer.

Maybe, that's the reason I am seeing posts on content writing and other nonsense on the forum lately.

The latest blog post takes the cake. The person has earned less than half the figure mentioned in the title. Not trying to demean her or her efforts, but one look at her profile and jobs tells you the complete story.

There was a time you had to be invited to post on the blog and your article has to pass the quality test. Now it's like any other free -to-post platform. 

elisa_b
Community Member

That's why they put the following fine print:

"This article was submitted by and expresses the views and opinions of the individual listed as the author. They do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Upwork, and Upwork does not explicitly sponsor or endorse any of the views, opinions, tools or services mentioned in this article, all of which are provided as potential options according to the view of the author. Each reader and company should take the time needed to adequately analyze and determine the tools, practices, and services that would best fit their specific needs and situations."

🤣

The disclaimer isn't sufficient, since these people are being featured as successful freelancers who are here to guide and inspire others. There should be something in there like, "The views expressed in this article haven't been fact checked and may be entirely false and misleading. Go to the Upwork Academy if you need advice about how to use Upwork."

Quoting Dante Alighieri:

"Let us not speak of them, but look, and pass on."

I don't read anything about lies. There is nothing else to call it. There is no other word. The thing he claims he has, he does not have, and he knows it.

The writer does not possess what the title of the article claims. He sent me a PM.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members