Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

*Edited* Attachment are getting Sanitized

joansands
Community Guru
Joan S Member Since: Mar 18, 2019
81 of 161

Teza - Why are my files for clients being sanitized and the edit tracking I have done removed?

chhickish
Ace Contributor
Christopher H Member Since: Feb 1, 2019
82 of 161

This santized warning helps with the messages between freelancer and client, but the macros are still being stripped from job postings by clients.  Can we have the option to download the original there too.

pebravos
Pedro B Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
83 of 161

I just had the same problem as Christopher H.

A job posting with detailed specs refering to the macros in the Excel file and there was no code in the file. Just the code missing this time, the buttons in the sheet were not converted to images as I've seen before.

There seem to be other problems with recent security implementations as well. I just refreshed my browser at https://www.upwork.com/ab/find-work/ after coming back from lunch and I got a message saying "Access to this page has been denied because we believe you're using automation tools to browse the website". I wasn't, and the adblocker has been disabled for Upwork site since I can remember. Again assuming everything and checking nothing. Sorry to post this here, just to make the point that this attachments problem is not an isolated security issue causing difficulties to freelancers.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
84 of 161

re: “Can we have the option to download the original there too.”

I don’t think Upwork wants to be responsible in any way for spreading malware. They have said this many times in many ways.

They would rather change files.

I can see how this can cause major problems for users unaware of the issue.

As I AM aware, I feel like it doesn’t impact me directly... but it makes Upwork less ideal than it would be if it notified people.

I would not hold out for the option to download original files directly. I don’t think that is coming. If it was offered, I am not sure I would ever trust it completely.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
85 of 161

Christopher and Preston,

I'd just like to point out that in the notification, users will have an option to download the original now. Please, see my earlier post on this thread:

Valeria K. wrote:

You'll start seeing notifications when this is done on browser version of Messages starting today and in Upwork Desktop App starting next week. You and your client will also see an option to download the original file by clicking the three dots to the right of the file name and selecting “Download Original File.” In other words, you and your client will have access to the original without having to contact Customer Support.

~ Valeria
Upwork
jordonbaade
Community Leader
Jordon B Member Since: Jun 16, 2015
86 of 161

I'm super glad to see that Upwork has solved this issue.

Now if they could work on their tone, maybe start by sending out an email apologizing for this absolutely ridiculous policy and thanking us for bring the ridiculousness of it to their attention.  It would also go a long way in explaining things to clients so freelancers don't just look like a joke.

jackiepeeler
Community Guru
Jacqueline P Member Since: Dec 28, 2015
87 of 161

Today for the first time pdf proofs I uploaded yesterday say they've been sanitized -- warning in orange suggests something was really wrong, if my client sees the same thing they could be concerned. Silence from the client today too, where usually they acknowledge receipt of proofs.

I did read something about this being what happens when Upwork strips the file of info they don't want on there, but also read that the warning was a bug and was fixed.

I'd like to tell my client the nice official version of what this is so they won't worry. So what should I say, as I don't officially actually know?

wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
88 of 161

I am also hoping it is a bug as it just popped up on when I sent a doc ... and is def. confusing.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
89 of 161

Noureldin Y wrote:

that sanitized happened yesterday with me for no reason, I told the client go get your documents yourself from google drive I gaveup upwork uploading system.

No need, the client can download the original (not sanitized) file right there in the same place as the sanitized one.

jr-translation
Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
90 of 161

I had two sanitized word documents today.

So what are you doing to the file and WTH is "safelt"?

Screenshot 2019-10-01 20.32.46.png

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS