Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

*Edited* Attachment are getting Sanitized

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Lisa T Member Since: Apr 26, 2016
81 of 165

Now attachments in the messages are showing up with "This file was sanitized!" after them. This makes it appear that something was wrong with your file, that Upwork had to go spray disinfectant on it due to it being germy or disgusting in some other way. It can lead clients to conclude that you are trying to infect their computer with malware and Upwork caught it just in time. Sure, they could click "Learn More" but we all know that first impressions count and most people don't want to bother with reading anything they don't have to.

It's totally unnecessary for them to put that on there. I'm sure they would say "It lets the client know that we are doing everything we can to ensure a safe work environment" or some such rote response. Having a safe work environment is expected at minimum; it isn't something for them to brag about or announce every time they do it. It's like putting up a notice that says "Our system worked as expected this morning!" or "We actually let you have your money that you earned - after taking out fees and a waiting period, that is!" Freelancers don't get on here and announce "We got our work done today!" or "I have used the system correctly."

I would like to suggest that they remove that embarrassing text. Scan the files all you like, just don't announce it each time.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
82 of 165

Lisa, it turns out that it's a super-important warning, as you'll see in this thread: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Edited-Attachment-are-getting-Sanitized/td-p/576616/jump...

"Sanitized" files aren't just scanned--they're modified in ways that in some cases strip out work the freelancer has performed.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Noureldin Y Member Since: Sep 7, 2019
83 of 165

This file was sanitized faced that today, while I'm more than sure it was completely clean.

Thus I'll never ever depend on Upwork uploading system again, posting fake alerts.

Marvelous.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
84 of 165

Valeria K wrote:

I'd like to follow up and share screenshots of what the notifications look like when a file is sanitized with the option to download the original. Please, see below:

Screenshot_1.pngScreenshot_2.png

What if there are no 3 dots?

no dots.jpg

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
85 of 165

Hi Petra,

The UI is adaptive and depends on the size of the screen. If the screen is smaller, the icon will show under the three dots. If the screen is large enough, the icons will show right next to the file like on your screenshot.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
86 of 165

Valeria K wrote:

Hi Petra,

The UI is adaptive and depends on the size of the screen. If the screen is smaller, the icon will show under the three dots. If the screen is large enough, the icons will show right next to the file like on your screenshot.

So does that mean the file I downloaded was the original, not sanitized file? 

Ahhhh, now I get it... holding the mouse over it shows that it is the original file - all clear now, Thanks!

Highlighted
Erin C Member Since: Sep 26, 2019
87 of 165

Valeria,

I recieved my first sanitized message yesterday on a word document with links in it. I sent a pdf today of it, with no active links, and recieved the same message, but was able to send the document to the client through email. Today I sent a different document, also in word, with no edits, no links, no macros, and no active content, and recieved the same sanitized message. I do not have a different way to share the document with that client and it definitely should not have set off any alarms. It is frustrating and reflects badly on the work I've sent along.

What is the solution moving forward?

Thank  you

Highlighted
Community Guru
88 of 165

Erin C wrote:

What is the solution moving forward?

original file.jpg

Highlighted
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
89 of 165

Hi Erin, 

Have you tried following the steps in Valeria, and Petra's post? If this option is not available for you, please let us know and our team will be happy to assist you further.

-Avery
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Richard W Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
90 of 165

I suppose the solution is to use non-Upwork methods of communication whenever possible. I've already switched over to email with all my regular clients. For proposals (and any other situations where I haven't yet switched to email) I'll start using Dropbox (or similar) instead of attachments.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS