🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: File transfers
Page options
hoyle_editing
Community Member

File transfers

Hi,

In my work i transfer a lot of large files between myself and client (probably upto around 10-15 GB at most usually with the odd exception)

The usual way i do this (say a client wants to send me the file to work on.....) I setup a folder for them on my google drive and let them upload to it, i can then access from there. 

However, I have a client that seems to be struggling to get large files uploaded - If he tries to upload several at once then chances are the largest ones are being left off.

Is there an easier way that im missing, I dont want my client to get fed up and decide to find someone local that he can physically hand the files to. But short of telling him to save the files to a memory stick and send through the post i'm struggling with ideas on how to solve this - i'm just wondering if its maybe a problem with uploading in bulk to googledrive?

thanks for any advice.

Jon

8 REPLIES 8
prestonhunter
Community Member

It’s not really an Upwork question.

but to answer your question:

There are many alternatives to Google Drive.

Try Dropbox.

Preston H wrote:

No, i realise this - and to be honest i thought i posted in the 'job skills' section so not sure how its ended up here! 

Anyway, is Dropbox likely to be any different to googledrive in that sense? Im just looking to see if others do things in the same way/method really.

Preston H wrote:

Seriously?

It is a question that affects two Upwork users and their contract with each other.

It's also a valid question considering the issues with transfering files via Upwork

Are you now in charge of what questions may be asked?

Preston H wrote:

Try Dropbox.

Seconded.

Or Wetransfer

wescowley
Community Member

You can try Dropbox, but this really sounds more like a connectivity issue.  My first suggestion would be to do the largest files individually and see if that helps.  

If your client is willing to use the Dropbox desktop app, the syncing might work better than an upload, but they may need a paid plan to handle files that large. Last I looked into it, and this may have changed, the space in shared folders counts against both users' plans.

Thanks Wes, i fear you may be correct - he is currently synced to my googledrive folder, but for some reason the big files dont want to play.

I think he is going to try them individually tonite, if we still have problems then i will suggest trying another platform as a trial.

Jonathan H wrote:

Thanks Wes, i fear you may be correct - he is currently synced to my googledrive folder, but for some reason the big files dont want to play.

I think he is going to try them individually tonite, if we still have problems then i will suggest trying another platform as a trial.

Have you suggested to your client that he compress the files first? That might help.

Yes, that was one of the first things i suggested, but from my clients perspective he is trying to reduce the number of steps and doesnt want to deal with the files any more than simply sending them over for me to sort out.

Having said that, it clearly isnt working as is, so he may have no option but to open up to some other comprimise of that kind 🙂

I suspect Wes is probably right...but for the benifit of anyone that doesn't know I recently realised that my office 365 (365 home) subscription actually comes with 1tb OneDrive storage, which is rather handy

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths