🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Fraud Contracts
Page options
2470f6ca
Community Member

Fraud Contracts

Hello, I am a freelance graphic designer and try to find a jobs in Upwork.

The last two contracts that I had were strange.

The first send me a zip folder where inside I found an .exe.

They told me that this was for secure the word file I run it but still could not ope the file.

The  asked me to enter in my PC to help me run it.

I was so stupid and let them my PC was empty with no files.

Quickly I realised that it was fraud I reported it and Upwork canceled the contract.

What can I do to protect myself from these cases?

When a folder from the client could be secure?

Thanks in advance.

Marina

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
the-right-writer
Community Member

First, never, ever open an exe. file! These are random strangers that you are giving access to everything in your computer, and your computer.

You need to learn how Upwork functions before you lose everything. Please read this post and follow every single link. Pay special attention to the Terms of Service and the Red Flags on Scams from Wes.

Your profile needs work. You need a complete profile not only for clients, but to show the scammers you are not naive. Right now, your profile says you are an easy target.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
cca13f63
Community Member

If I were in your shoes, I would install a new window on my laptop. Remember that you opened the .exe file, meaning they MAY be listening to your keyboard strokes and can get any information they want.

the-right-writer
Community Member

First, never, ever open an exe. file! These are random strangers that you are giving access to everything in your computer, and your computer.

You need to learn how Upwork functions before you lose everything. Please read this post and follow every single link. Pay special attention to the Terms of Service and the Red Flags on Scams from Wes.

Your profile needs work. You need a complete profile not only for clients, but to show the scammers you are not naive. Right now, your profile says you are an easy target.

Hello Jeanne thank you for your reply.

I would like to ask you what do you mean by my profile needs work.

It says that it is 100% complete.

Greetings.

Marina

What Upwork calls a "complete" profile, means nothing in terms of having a real complete profile. Upwork calls it good if they "verify" you, sometimes with identifying documents, or a brief video, or whatever criteria they use now.

However, in terms of what the client sees and wants, your profile is incomplete and makes you a target for scammers.

You need to change your title. "Prolific" is not a skill, and the clients don't care. No one will search for that, and it's not an Upwork skill. You need to look at Upwork's skills list, and phrase your title accordingly.

The barely there, list, and the checks, need to go. The first sentence or possibly two are all the client will see in searches. The same holds true in proposals. You have to catch their attention in the first sentence. You should try different things until you feel it fits you.

Write, in paragraphs, what you will do with your skills. Some freelancers like to use testimonials and skills. Play around with ideas until you are comfortable. Tell the scammers as well as the clients that you are a seasoned professional with no interest in playing games with scammers. Professionals scare them and they are unlikely to approach.

Protect yourself, because no one, including Upwork, will do it for you. I tell you these things to help with marketing, and to prevent you from being scammed. If I seem harsh, it is because you are in danger, just as everyone is, if they don't follow all the rules. Even then, things do happen. However, the vast majority of the scams work because the freelancers participate. Knowledge is power.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members