🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Good day.  I have a problem. Please help me.
Page options
alaverdyan-lusin
Community Member

Good day.  I have a problem. Please help me.

Approximately 2 weeks ago, I received an offer from Upwork. Name was **Edited for Community Guidelines**. The offer was about datas and they got connected with Telegram. They gave me **Edited for Community Guidelines** Telegram and she sent me a link to sign and added me to group, where 634 people were earning money in data fluctuations․ I saw how they earned money and invested money to make money . At first I invested $300, then the next day she said that if I invest $876,then I'll get much more money. And I saw that in my account added much more profit. After that, she said that if I invest $888 I'd get 80% profit and it happens only once in a year. I trusted and did it sayiny that I have to withraw cash after that,because I borrowed money. She said no problem. And when I wanted to withraw cash, the company forced pay 30% of my profit. I had to add $2996 for that. I did it hoping to receive my money. But no. After that in Telegram appeared US Internal Revenue Service and said that I have to pay tax 30% . But I wasn't informed about it. And now Revenue sent me that**Edited for Community Guidelines** wants to pay some of tax, and after paying the whole tax I'll receive my money.

Please, read and help me... If **Edited for Community Guidelines** offered me not on Upwork, I'll never accepted it. Do you understand? They use Upwork for their dirty operations. 

Please give me an advice what to do or who can help me... I don't have money anymore.

Please answer me... 

27 REPLIES 27
f318fbc5
Community Member

Hy
Yo call and massage to **Edited for Community Guidelines** and tell them all complete situation about
rhis

And see what he did

Thank you. I'll massage **Edited for Community Guidelines**. Then I'll write what he said.

Hy
That's good

Good

A scammer will give you a fake name, fake company name (or the name of a real company that they don't actually work for, obviously) and usually a fake location, then block you from contacting them ever again. There isn't any way to find them.

Ok
f318fbc5
Community Member

Hy

How can we earn by upwork

Please help me

Maryam F wrote:

Hy

How can we earn by upwork

Please help me

You have "Available Now" activated. You're just wasting connects for nothing. Being new it is useless and also without a profile created, how do you think someone can hire you?

Read this post before sending proposals or answering invitations (they will be scams):
https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/To-all-freelancers-looking-for-help/m-p/1222058#M731117

One more thing, the badges that are given in the forum do not influence your profile at all, they are only for the forum. So you should stop writing all over the place if you do it to win them.

sole818
Community Member

It's a scam. They asked you to do that through Telegram, so Upwork can't protect you. You are not getting any money back and you should stop giving it away.

f318fbc5
Community Member

Hy
So stop giving him

Yes, but I've lost $5000 and more... 

Lusine A wrote:

Yes, but I've lost $5000 and more... 

I don't know who you're answering, but you have to get used to the idea that you won't see that money again.
The only thing Upwork can do is remove the job ad and ban the client's account, although it's easy for clients to create another one.

Even with real investments, there's no guarantee that you won't lose your money. You should only invest what you can afford to lose. If it was that easy to make money so quickly, everyone in the world would be rich!

Ok
3a49d474
Community Member

It appears that you have been scammed. Sadly, these scams are quite common. Legitimate clients will never ask you to pay a fee before starting a contract. Also, giving out contact information prior to a contract is against Upwork's ToS.

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/360049608113 

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052511133?utm_source=forethought-chat&utm_lp=foretho... 

Also take a look at this article.

Please say how can delete my upwork account

Hi Maryam,

Thank you for your message. Your account has been closed as requested by you.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
ashrafkhan81
Community Member

Sadly you are not going to get any of that money back. You've been scammed! 

There's a lot of Dos and don'ts about freelancing on Upw9rk posted on this forum, please read that familiarise yourself with scams and be alert. 

And you should stick yo jobs related to your profile. 

m_terrazas
Community Member

Lusine A wrote:

Approximately 2 weeks ago, I received an offer from Upwork. Name was Lean Dy. The offer was about datas and they got connected with Telegram. They gave me Stephanie Ford's Telegram and she sent me a link to sign and added me to group, where 634 people were earning money in data fluctuations․ I saw how they earned money and invested money to make money . At first I invested $300, then the next day she said that if I invest $876,then I'll get much more money. And I saw that in my account added much more profit. After that, she said that if I invest $888 I'd get 80% profit and it happens only once in a year. I trusted and did it sayiny that I have to withraw cash after that,because I borrowed money. She said no problem. And when I wanted to withraw cash, the company forced pay 30% of my profit. I had to add $2996 for that. I did it hoping to receive my money. But no. After that in Telegram appeared US Internal Revenue Service and said that I have to pay tax 30% . But I wasn't informed about it. And now Revenue sent me that Stephanie wants to pay some of tax, and after paying the whole tax I'll receive my money.

Please, read and help me... If Lean Dy offered me not on Upwork, I'll never accepted it. Do you understand? They use Upwork for their dirty operations. 

Please give me an advice what to do or who can help me... I don't have money anymore.

Please answer me... 

Yes, you have been scammed or you have allowed yourself to be scammed.
I'm sorry this happened to you, but it's your fault, not Upwork's, and you won't see your money. Upwork will do nothing. Well, they could ban your account for skipping the TOS.

Do yourself a favor and stop submitting proposals and responding to invitations until you learn how the platform works.

Read this post and all the links it contains:
https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/To-all-freelancers-looking-for-help/m-p/1222058#M731117

f8662d7d
Community Member

You should not trust any links without checking the extent of its sincerity
You should also not pay money or investing in an unreliable place
As for your position, you can report them and display these details to the police or internet investigations

Omar A wrote:

You should not trust any links without checking the extent of its sincerity
You should also not pay money or investing in an unreliable place
As for your position, you can report them and display these details to the police or internet investigations

What you have to do is follow the TOS, which by the way you confirm that you have read when creating your profile, and if you follow them you will be quite protected, since they mainly tell you not to communicate outside of Upwork BEFORE you have a contract, and that you do not make or receive any payments outside of Upwork.

If she hadn't broken the TOS, the two most important ones, she wouldn't be in this trouble.

This is not an investment site, so it does not matter if client is reliable or not.
The data they gave her is false, so nothing about "the police or internet investigations"

re: "As for your position, you can report them and display these details to the police or internet investigations"

Omar:

I think you have a good heart. I know you want to help. But this is not helpful advice.

Freelancers should not report problems on Upwork to the police. It is a waste of time. Local police are not the "Upwork police." They are not the "Internet police." They can't help freelancers get money back after freelancers participate in a scam.

There is no "internet investigations" agency that this freelancer can go to in order to get her money back.

PradeepH

Hi Lusine,

Thank you for your message. I am sorry to hear about your experience. I checked the job post you were referring to and it appears that it's already been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork TOS.

Please check out this course for more tips on staying safe on Upwork and please use the flag option found on each job post or message anytime you’d like to report a violation.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
alaverdyan-lusin
Community Member

Thank you all!!! You all are right. I just beleive people. That's my mistake․

But could you please help to find a job on Upwork to cover damage..

Your priority now should be to learn how Upwork works, and how to protect yourself from scammers. Once you have done it, you can start to look for a job again, safely.

I agree with Elisa. If you start desperately bidding on jobs before you've learned anything, you're going to have even more problems. Follow this link and spend a few hours reading and watching everything: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Academy/ct-p/Academy

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Lusine A wrote:

After that in Telegram appeared US Internal Revenue Service and said that I have to pay tax 30% . But I wasn't informed about it. And now Revenue sent me that**Edited for Community Guidelines** wants to pay some of tax, and after paying the whole tax I'll receive my money.

Do you at least realise that this wasn't really the Internal Revenue Service? The IRS doesn't contact people via messages on Telegram - that was just another scam to make you pay more money. I really hope that you understand what happened to you now, and aren't considering sending any more money to total strangers.

You need to know that people on Upwork can tell you anything that they want - they'll give you a fake name, say that they work for a company that they don't really work for, even give you a contract that looks official and has the logo of a well-known company on it. If a stranger approached you in the street and told you to "invest" some money, you wouldn't do it, would you? So, don't do this on Upwork, either.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members