🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Hiring ethics.. Quick question
Page options
878e5476
Community Member

Hiring ethics.. Quick question

Hi, 

I was wondering what one could do that in such a situation which I recently faced.

I got hired last week on Hourly contract and both parties (me and the client) agree to the contract. This week, on the orientation day, I was informed that the Client wish to test my skills and Only Then, he will keep the contract in position, otherwise, he will let me go. As per him, he hired another candidate for the job and wishes to test my skills against that candidate. Bear in mind, all this activity is taking place after Hiring me and accepting the contract. He's also paying me for this three day activity. He's facing a supply crunch at the moment and needs to find alternatives in the market (The Task for both freelancers). 

Upon the results, one of the freelancer's contract will be ended. 

Question:
* Is it ethical hiring a freelancer first and then testing his skills or otherwise testing his skills first and then hiring the candidate for a position?
* What can the freelancer do in such case?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
martina_plaschka
Community Member

* Is it ethical hiring a freelancer first and then testing his skills

Yes.

or otherwise testing his skills first and then hiring the candidate for a position?

This would be free work and therefore unethical. 

Be grateful for the opportunity. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
atlinguist
Community Member

It's customary in the real world, so ...

martina_plaschka
Community Member

* Is it ethical hiring a freelancer first and then testing his skills

Yes.

or otherwise testing his skills first and then hiring the candidate for a position?

Be grateful for the opportunity. 

Wonderful view Martina..

Truely appreciate it.

Martina P wrote:

Except for the part where OP clearly said he was being paid for the testing period.

Testing first and hiring later usually results in testing first and getting free work and never hiring later. 

data_divas
Community Member

As long as you are being paid the agreed upon hourly rate then there isn't an issue.

prestonhunter
Community Member

The original poster is dealing with a highly ethical client who is doing things the right way.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members