🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Hourly rate but client paid an advance
Page options
mgmason1975
Community Member

Hourly rate but client paid an advance

I'm just after a bit of advice on what to do. I've just taken on a job from an Upwork Plus client on an hourly rate. Yet the client has paid me a substantial advance which I said was not necessary but they said they would feel happier offering,

What I'm asking is how I mark the hours completed before I start billing for once that money is used it. If I use the time tracker and give a refund, or just take a screen grab, send it over to the client, and delete the tracked time? Wouldn't either of those damage my JSS?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Matthew M wrote:

I'm just after a bit of advice on what to do. I've just taken on a job from an Upwork Plus client on an hourly rate. Yet the client has paid me a substantial advance which I said was not necessary but they said they would feel happier offering,

What I'm asking is how I mark the hours completed before I start billing for once that money is used it. If I use the time tracker and give a refund, or just take a screen grab, send it over to the client, and delete the tracked time? Wouldn't either of those damage my JSS?

That sounds seriously dodgy..... You really, REALLY must track your time, right from the start, and use meaningful work memos so the hours are protected, in case the "advace" does not stick. Also make sure the client's payment method is verified. "Plus Client" is meaningless, Upwork gives a free month to some new clients.

Neither method of refuding would do any damage as such, but if the bonus they pay gets reversed because it wasn't real or from a stolen card etc, you lose what you refunded plus the original money and worked for free. If anything track the time and then refund the bonus. Watch the bonus i your Pending tab. Is it showing a date to the left of the bonus payment? Or does it just say "Pending?"

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
petra_r
Community Member

Matthew M wrote:

That sounds seriously dodgy..... You really, REALLY must track your time, right from the start, and use meaningful work memos so the hours are protected, in case the "advace" does not stick. Also make sure the client's payment method is verified. "Plus Client" is meaningless, Upwork gives a free month to some new clients.

Neither method of refuding would do any damage as such, but if the bonus they pay gets reversed because it wasn't real or from a stolen card etc, you lose what you refunded plus the original money and worked for free. If anything track the time and then refund the bonus. Watch the bonus i your Pending tab. Is it showing a date to the left of the bonus payment? Or does it just say "Pending?"

I thought it sounded odd too, but the client has been around since Feb 2018. 75 jobs in his history 50+% hire rate, 3.9 average rating. I've looked at his account, over and over again and really struggled to find anything to be concerned about.

This was over a week ago that he gave me the deposit. I couldn't start work at the time due to other stuff. The money on the 30th and is now in my account as I withdrew it. 

I think that's what I'll do then, log the time and refund the deposit once it has gone past the advance value.

Thanks

Matthew M wrote:

3.9 average rating.

Hope you're well mate.

This rings a few alarm bells for me. 

I think the client's had a lot of contracts cancelled, which might explain their low feedback rating despite good feedback otherwise. 

Oh, you're back! I was pretty convinced this was legit but now you and Petra are making me re-think. I've not been able to start this job as I'm waiting on details from him. I've just spent about 20 minutes putting a format together for his ebook and I've stopped there as there's really nothing else I can do until I've had his input.

Want to DM me? Maybe you're seeing something I'm missing here.

Hmm, this just gets weirder.

His website is gone. It was up a week ago because during the consultation, he shared the link and I had a good look.

Also, there is a business name after his personal name and he assured me he was a hospital Doctor. I guess he could run a company too but I'm finding this a bit strange.

Would be great to have some feedback from a moderator here...

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members