🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » How much will my jss be affected?
Page options
shahdshadyy
Community Member

How much will my jss be affected?

Hi, I had my jss on 21/9/2021 and it was always 100%. I always had 5-star and perfect private feedback until today the largest contract I worked on has ended (it's larger than the sum of all the contracts I worked on) and although I had a new contract with the same client an hour later (today). The client gave me a 4.6-star rate on the closed one and I am not sure yet what he gave me in private feedback. The jss will be updated on 20/3/2022 and I don't know if from 21/9/2021 and 20/3/2022 is a 6-month period for the jss to get back after 6 months. and also idk if I am supposed to use the top-rated removing impact from jss perk before it gets affected from the contract. I am afraid that the score gets lower than 90% and leading to losing the badge. 

so, is there a possibility that the jss will get lower than 90%? and should I use the perk? and is this a 6 months period for the jss between the dates I mentioned so that the score can get back after a 6 months period when this contract falls out of it?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Shahd khaled K wrote: ... is there a possibility that the jss will get lower than 90%? and should I use the perk?

You've only had 4 contracts with feedback and this one is massive compared to the others, so it will definitely have a massive effect.

That said, if the client wasn't happy, why would he have hired you again? But I am a little puzzled why he knocked off stars on skills and quality...

Either way, I would suggest you wait what happens when the JSS is next updated, if you drop below 90% you can use the perk to get it back and save your badge.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
petra_r
Community Member

Shahd khaled K wrote: ... is there a possibility that the jss will get lower than 90%? and should I use the perk?

You've only had 4 contracts with feedback and this one is massive compared to the others, so it will definitely have a massive effect.

That said, if the client wasn't happy, why would he have hired you again? But I am a little puzzled why he knocked off stars on skills and quality...

Either way, I would suggest you wait what happens when the JSS is next updated, if you drop below 90% you can use the perk to get it back and save your badge.

Hi Petra, Thank u for replying.

I agree with ur suggestion but won't the badge disappear as soon as the score gets lower than 90% or it takes time?

I would read this information about how the scores are calculated before assuming the worst case scenario for your score 😊

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Announcements/How-Job-Success-Score-is-Calculated/ba-p/904715

I don't see a single 4.6 dragging you all the way under 90% unless the client left some really vicious 'private' feedback. However, that would make NO sense since the client's comment already says they are hiring you again? 

The other option is to actually contact the client and ask them WHY they 'docked' you on some stars on some of the categories like 'quality' and 'skills', and also why are they hiring you again if they have a problem with quality and skills.  If they can't specifically identify what they think you need to 'improve', I'd think twice about working with them a 2nd time, because they might leave another 'bad' review again next time. You can also allow the client to 'update' their feedback if he agrees to do that.

As for the 'private' feedback, I take that with a grain of salt because my percentage of "clients who would recommend you" in my Stats page has been STUCK at 88%  consistently for about 1 1/2 years LOL It never moves. Doesn't go up, doesn't go down.  It never changes, no matter how many '5's' get added to my profile. So, apparently, clients can give you a 5 'publicly'  AND also 'not recommend you' privately. 

A client can literally provide 2 separate pieces of feedback that collectively say "(publicly) This freelancer did an outstanding job and excelled in every category!  (whispering privately) No other clients should hire them! "  Only on Upwork is does such a foolish combination of feedback 'make sense'. 

Either way, don't panic and don't take it too seriously or too personally. 🙂

CJ A wrote:

I don't see a single 4.6 dragging you all the way under 90% unless the client left some really vicious 'private' feedback.

The JSS is Dollar weighed. She only has 4 completed contracts and the job in question represents the vast (!) majority of her earnings so yes, it could easily take her well below 90. More like low to mid 70s.

CJ A wrote:

Only on Upwork is does such a foolish combination of feedback 'make sense'. 

That isn't the case either.

Thank u for ur reply😊, I contacted the client and he changed the puplic one to five stars and I'll wait and see what happens. 

Great to hear!    Like I said, probably nothing to worry about.  I doubt you'll be losing your badge over that.  Also, a 4.6 is not that 'bad', but when you get use to earning 5's all the time, a 4.6 or 4.8 seems like catastrophic "failure" when it really isn't. I can definitely empathize with the 'shock' of getting a 4.6, but I think most clients that see a freelancer's profile and see all 5's except for one "4.6" will normally disregard the "4.6" or assume it was a one-off score from a single "grumpy" or "difficult" client and ignore it

Shahd khaled K wrote:

I agree with ur suggestion but won't the badge disappear as soon as the score gets lower than 90% or it takes time?

It will, but you have 2 weeks to use the perk after the badge is removed, That means you'd have it back the next time the JSS is updated or a little after.

Okay, I contacted the client and he gave me five stars now but I don't think he gave me the best private feedback but not the worst too. 

I'll wait and see what happens.

Thank u

Shahd khaled K wrote:

Okay, I contacted the client and he gave me five stars now

That won't make a difference.

Shahd khaled K wrote:
Petra may I ask if from 21/9/2021 to 20/3/2022 is a six months period that the 100% jss that I had will be calculated as my average one or this time period isn't a six months one ??

What do you mean? The JSS will be whatever the percentage is calculated at the day of the calculation. There is no "calculating the average" over 6 months as such.

Your JSS is whatever the outcomes in your calculation calculate as. So if you had 10 equal sized contracts, of which 2 were poor and 8 were good, the JSS would be 80%

Does the client changing the feedback to a 5 star one now doesn't change the outcome ??!

The problem is, he or she can't change private feedback, and private feedback has a pretty big effect on your JSS.

If your JSS tanks because of this, use your perk to remove their feedback. I've never done that so far, I feel it should be reserved for serious issues (and therefore, should be pretty rare to need anyway), but if you're going to tank because of this rating, use the perk...just what I would do. Wait to see how your JSS is affected, then make the decision.

Thanks for your reply Melanie.

Yeah I'll probably do this.

Shahd khaled K wrote:

Does the client changing the feedback to a 5 star one now doesn't change the outcome ??!

No.

The JSS is driven by the private feedback, which can't be changed for exactly this reason: Freelancers bothering clients to change feedback when they didn't get 5 stars...

I read that after a 6 months period the jss changes to the best it was in a 6 or 12 or 24 months period.

Shahd khaled K wrote:

I read that after a 6 months period the jss changes to the best it was in a 6 or 12 or 24 months period.

Not quite.

The JSS is calculated in different windows, but of course the 1 year calculation window includes the 6 month window and the 2 year window includes the 6 month window and the 12 month window.

It's not "the best it was at some arbitrary point in time".

thank u so much for the information Petra😊.

My question is that I had my jss on 19/9/2021 since jss updates on Sunday and it didn't change since that time was always 100% but it will drop on 20/3/2022. so, Is that time period a six months window or not?

Shahd khaled K wrote:

Is that time period a six months window or not?

Yes, of course it is. Anything within 6 months of now is your 6 month window. It is currently also your 1 year and 2 year windows.

If your JSS drops when it is next updated, the newly calculated JSS is still your 6 month window. You'll get a 1 year window which could potentially be slightly different to your 6 month window once your very first ended contract falls outside the 6 months.

Petra may I ask if from 21/9/2021 to 20/3/2022 is a six months period that the 100% jss that I had will be calculated as my average one or this time period isn't a six months one ??

Hello Petra,

my score dropped from 100 to 84 and I am going to use the top-rated perk. 

so, I have a question.

there are two options to remove the contract from, one is jss only and the other one is jss and profile.

I saw in an article that the jss option 

• Remove feedback only from your Job Success Score calculation (the public score and comment will remain visible on your profile)

and I don't understand will that make my jss appear as it is on my profile as 84 and will remove it from calculation only or what?

I just wanna get my jss back to 100% and make it appear like that on my profile and leave the contract star rate, feedback, and everything as it is, which option should I use for that to happen?

Hi Shahd,

The first option you outlined should be the one for you since you're looking to remove the feedback impact on your JSS while keeping the public comment and score visible. However, I'd like to clarify that this does not guarantee that your JSS will be back at 100%, provided other factors do cause it to drop below that mark.

I can see that you've raised a support ticket already. Kindly allow more time for our Customer Support team to get back to you and assist you further with your concern.

~ Luiggi
Upwork

Hi Luiggi, Thank u for ur reply.

I was asking about this public score part u mentioned. Do u mean by public score the star rate correct?, and by option 1(JSS only) the jss will be adjusted and visible on my profile as the new one next update?

My prob is that I don't understand what they mean with (the public score will be visible) I don't know which score they mean jss or star rate?

For the part u tell me that jss can't get back actually my jss was 100% till last update and after that I had a contract which I got-not perfect- private feedback so if I just removed it, why can't it get back ? I am sure 100% that this contract is the only reason for jss drop.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members