🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » I am feeling like i had got scammed
Page options
77ede944
Community Member

I am feeling like i had got scammed

HI 
I was hired at a hourly job to sell a youtube channel.and i sold that to my client he had got all access of channel
now as i had done hourly job my payment will be reviewed by client on monday and i dont know that will he pay me for it or not 
as i had completed my job and done the whole work of giving him access but i am feeling like i had got scammed 
Please tell me that how hourly job works 
my payment is bieng shown in work in progress but not in earning 
i am worried about my payment 

19 REPLIES 19
sparkesusan
Community Member

If your client said they would review on Monday, then wait until then. If they haven't reviewed by then, message them and remind them that this job needs to be reviewed and paid for. I have one client that doesn't respond for days and then will pop in and review everything and pay. She's a busy lady, and I know this. It could be that they just got busy and haven't gotten around to it. If they still don't review and pay, then you need to ask UW what to do.

re: "If they haven't reviewed by then, message them and remind them that this job needs to be reviewed and paid for."

Susan: I know you want to help the original poster.

But there appears to be some confusion on your part about how this works. Or perhaps you simply did not notice that this freelancer was hired with an HOURLY contract, which works differently than a fixed-price contract.

The original poster (freelancer) should NOT message the client.

The client does NOT need to review the freelancer's work or do anything to ensure payment.

Payment to the freelancer is AUTOMATIC.

There is no "approval step" for the client to take. There is no button to click.

Hello...I thought I read that there are jobs that require approval first. 

No, only fixed price, not hourly. 

Did you buy something with your own money for the client? Unclear. 

YES I BOUGHT SOMETHING FOR CLIENT BY MY OWN MONEY 

Please describe the project more clearly. If you bought something for a client, how were you able to meaningfully track any time? The time tracker needs to show you actually working on something. What hourly rate did you charge?

It does sound like a scam. Why couldn't the client pay for a YouTube channel themselves? Can you contact YouTube about this if the client doesn't pay?

Then you got scammed. You should never buy anything with your own money. You can't just record time with the timetracker to be compensated, since your screenshots will not show meaningful work.

The only part of the basic hourly contract process and payment that involves client approval/disapproval is manual time. (The client can also file a dispute, which they will lose if the freelancer used Upwork's hourly contract process.)

If there is no manual time submitted by the freelancer for the work week payment will be released to the freelancer automatically a few days later:

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211063698-Weekly-Billing-Cycle

There is not even a client step for approval of manual time. Manual time is automatically paid as well.

It is technically possible for clients to dispute manual time, but it is significantly more complicated to do that than most freelancers realize.

Yup, you're right. Sorry about that.

77ede944
Community Member

I want to know that if the clients account got suspended or he ran away without accepting my work 
would i get payment then?
as i had done my job my submitted my tracked time 

If client will run away then your job will be accepted, you have tools for it.

But if client will block payment then more ways possible.

Describe your contract. Is it hourly, manual time, fixed-price with funded milestone? What job you are done?

hourly job 
i had tracked time that i had did my job

If you tracked time for legit work, how were you supposed to be compensated for the purchase?

Okay, but how much time could you possibly track just to sell a YouTube channel? And did you charge your usual hourly rate of $5?

Hi Muhammad,

I'm sorry to hear about this disappointing experience. Our Trust and Safety team has reached out to you with more information about the client and the action that's been taken here. You may want to update the support ticket by responding if you have questions or need further assistance so that the team can assist you accordingly and more efficiently.

~ Arjay
Upwork

I had done a job for my client and now his account has been suspended while my job has yet to be paid i had done an hourly job for that client will i get paid for my job? i am worried about my payment.

This is mail i recieved form upwork

Hello Muhammad Usman, We recently found evidence of fraudulent activity from a client that you were working with. We’ve suspended your client which also ended your contract. This does not affect your Upwork account, or any time logged while the contract was active.

You already have an open thread about this, so respond there if you want anyone to try and help.

Upwork has told you "any time logged while the contract was active" will not be affected by the client's suspension, so as long as you followed all the rules for hourly payment protection you should be OK.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members