🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » I don't have a smart phone
Page options
nathanjwilliams
Community Member

I don't have a smart phone

The registration prompt informs me I need to enter a phone number in order to text me a security code. I don't own a smartphone. As a result the site is now unusable as the registration process appears to be frozen. Is there some way around this? Even my bank or paypal doesn't require me to own a smart phone to use their service. I'm guessing a landline is too primitive and they can't just call me and give me the security code?

43 REPLIES 43
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Nathan, 

Please know that you do not need a smart phone in order to receive the sms for the security code. You should be able to receive the security code sms with a regular phone. 

To continue, please type-in your mobile number on the spaces provided. 

~ Avery
Upwork

Sorry about that. I probably should clarify that first statement. As of literally right now, I don't have a functional smartphone or a mobile phone either. Hence the dependence on a landline for the time being. And I don't think landlines can convert SMS into voice, so I was wondering if there was an immediate work around. Thanks.

Hi Nathan,

A member of our team will be reaching out to you shortly to assist you with this.

~Nina

I am in the same situation.  I don't have a cellphone at all right now.  Please advise on a next step.  Thanks!

Hi Kathleen,

A member of the team will reach out to you shortly to assist you with this.

~Nina

Hi! I can't finish setting up my Upwork account because it insists upon sending a text message to my phone which is a landline. Obviously, I'm not receiving the text message with the verification code. Is there some way to send me a voice verification, instead, or is there a way to skip that step?

Thanks!

Karen

Same problem. No mobile phone. Please help.

Hi Nabeel,

An agent will be reaching out to you shortly to help assist you with completing the verification.

~Nina

Same problem. I don't have a smart phone or mobile phone. Could you please help me?

Hi Patty,

I've requested that one of our agents reach out to you directly to help you with the verification process. You should be hearing from them very shortly, thank you.

~Nina

Likewise, I don't have a smart phone to complete the account verification. How can we work around this?

Hi Ken,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further on how to complete the verification process. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Thanks.
fforney
Community Member

Same problem: no way to receive text message I have a landline only.

Ken G did you get the problem solved?

I am tryinng to complete my application and I don't have a cell phone right now either.  

Hi Debra,

Thanks for reaching out to us. One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. Please note that a copy of the ticket will arrive in your email as well from where you can continue the correspondence with our team.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

I also could use help with this as well, since at the moment all I have is a landline.

f_pike
Community Member

I have the same issue. Please advise.

Thanks!

Frankie

petra_r
Community Member

Frankie P wrote:

I have the same issue.

Buy one. All you need is a phone that can receive a text message. 

Not everyone has money, Petra. 

Hi Frankie,

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a email to assist you further.

~ Nikola
Upwork
maxwell-sonja
Community Member

I have been trying to update my profile but I do not have a cell phone. I have a home phone contact number, however the system does not allow me to enter a text free number to receive the sms code. So I went to the support for Upwork and found information about completing a video chat. But again there is no information on how to do this. It seems the video verification will be my only way to complete my profile, can some one please help me?

Hi Sonja,

I'll have a member of the team get in touch with you directly in order to further assist you with this. You'll be hearing from them shortly.

~Nina

@Nina K wrote:

Hi Sonja,

I'll have a member of the team get in touch with you directly in order to further assist you with this. You'll be hearing from them shortly.

Here's a thought, why not offer alternatives to this process for folks who can't receive text messages. Then there wouldn't be hundreds of people asking for help with this daily.

ETA: And here we are, months and months later, and there are still tons of people coming to the forum with this issue. Heaven forbid Upwork should ever consider the suggestions we offer ... especially if they make sense.

fforney
Community Member

Trying to compete my profile but I don't have a cell phone to receive a text message with the security code.

I see this has been a longstanding issue for some people.

Does it ever get resolved?

Same problem, landline cannot receive SMS...

Hi Britt,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further, thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

My phone service accepts SMS, it's a voip number, but for some reason the verification message is not coming through.

Is there a way I can get a call at my number and have the code read to me so I can finish verification?

Thank you for reaching out to us, Joshua.

One of our team members will reach out to you directly to assist you with your phone verification process. 

~ Bojan
Upwork

Bojan,

I'm still waiting for someone to contact me so I can complete my account verification

Hi Joshua,

A member of our team reached out to you already via email and is awaiting for your response. Kindly check the inbox of the email you used to register your Upwork account and follow up with our agent. Once they have more information about the issue you're experiencing, our agent will assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork

Bojan,

Thanks for that. Saw it now.
whitneywilliam92
Community Member

I also cannot complete the profile process without a cell phone. Please help.

Whitney W wrote:

I also cannot complete the profile process without a cell phone. Please help.

Get one.

You also have to use a proper photo of yourself as your profile picture.

risheeks
Community Member

I have the same problem. I can't proceed with registration without a phone number.

Hi Risheek,

I have escalated your concern to our team, and one of our team members will reach out and assist you in completing this step. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

I don't have one either right now. 

thanks.

Hi Isaac,

I've shared your concern with the team. One of our agents will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket.

~ Joanne
Upwork
f14b1ac5
Community Member

I have a landline, It's not possible to get a text on a landline.
UpWork needs to fix their system to send the code by voice
which can be automated like many others do, then it works
with all the phones in the world.
What's the phone number and email for me to reach
customer service or whoever else can resolve this?

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members