🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » I'm new to Upwork and am Pretty Sure I Barely...
Page options
7eb54e0a
Community Member

I'm new to Upwork and am Pretty Sure I Barely Dodged a SCAM

I applied for a job that was listed as  **Edited for Community Guidelines**

The only communication I had was through Skype (which seemed a little strange, but again I've only been on Upword a few days).  Here is the communication I had through my supposed "supervisor".  (I've attached the most pertinent parts of the chat.)

How can I avoid this type of thing in the future?

2 REPLIES 2
the-right-writer
Community Member

As soon as the client wants to go outside of Upwork, you know it's a scam. Communicating outside of Upwork before a contract is in place is almost always a scam, and you can lose your ability to work on the platform permanently. You broke the Terms of Service, which you need to read and follow. You can avoid scams by following simple rules.

Learn and follow the TOS and then read this from Wes: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Community-Blog/Top-Red-Flags-for-Scams-From-Community-Member-Wes-C/b...

Then you need to learn about hourly tracked hours and fixed-price jobs. You have to decide how you are going to protect yourself if something goes wrong.

The freelancers who get scammed 99% of the time go outside Upwork for communication or money. There never is any money with these scams, but people continue to believe they will receive great money for a small or nonsense job. You have to protect yourself because no one, including Upwork, will do it for you.

7eb54e0a
Community Member

Thanks for your reply, Jeanne.  Since it was the first job I'd bid on, I didn't know how communication worked between the job poster and me.  Obviously I'm aware now and won't fall for that again.  

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members