🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Is it against ToS to refer my friend with Upw...
Page options
722ee3d5
Community Member

Is it against ToS to refer my friend with Upwork profile to the client that invited me on a job?

Recently, there is a client that invited me to create a WordPress website and I want to recommend my friend and send to the client his Upwork profile link. Would that be a violation of Upwork ToS?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
606084be
Community Member

Hello Marlon,

You can refer your friend. Its not against the rules, if you can first convince the client that you want to refer him to someone else.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
606084be
Community Member

Hello Marlon,

You can refer your friend. Its not against the rules, if you can first convince the client that you want to refer him to someone else.

Thanks for the response Kennedy, I'm afraid to send links to a client for whom I do not have a contract with even a profile link of another freelancer. I tried to read the ToS and I can't seem to find the direct answer to my question.

jamilumer
Community Member

Hello Marlon,

Referring to a friend at Upwork is not only legal, but you will also get additional benefits from it.
Kindly see the benefits details at https://www.upwork.com/freelancer-referrals

Hope you will get value out of it.

Hi Umer, thank you for the response. The issue is I did not use the refer freelancer function but I will send an Upwork profile link of another freelancer to refer to the client.

8467c28e
Community Member

Hi Marlon,

While I understand your intention to help your friend, it is essential to be cautious about sharing Upwork profile links and referring others to clients outside of the platform. According to Upwork's Terms of Service, you are required to use the platform for all communication, contracts, and payments. Circumventing the platform may result in a violation of the ToS.

However, if you'd like to involve your friend in the project, you can create an "Agency" on Upwork and invite your friend to join your agency as a team member. Once your friend is a part of your agency, you can then propose your agency to the client for the project. This way, you'll be complying with Upwork's ToS and still be able to involve your friend.

To create an agency, follow these steps:

-Click on the "Settings" icon in the top-right corner of your Upwork account.

-Select "User Settings" from the drop-down menu.

-Scroll down to the "Agency" section and click on "Create a new agency."

-Fill out the required information and follow the on-screen instructions to set up your agency.

Remember to review Upwork's Terms of Service to ensure you are following all rules and guidelines. This will help you maintain a good standing on the platform and avoid any potential issues.

Hi Utku, my friend already have an Upwork account I'm only concerned if the ToS about sharing information also includes sharing profile links of other freelancers.

Marlon,

I understand your concern, and I'll clarify the situation for you. According to Upwork's Terms of Service, sharing your friend's Upwork profile link directly with the client would not be considered a violation, as long as all communication, contracts, and payments are still conducted through the Upwork platform.

The key point here is to ensure that you and your friend continue to use the platform for all project-related activities. This way, you will be in compliance with Upwork's ToS while recommending your friend for the job.

If you're worried about any potential misunderstandings, you can also ask your friend to submit a proposal to the client's job posting, and then let the client know that you'd recommend they take a look at your friend's proposal. This approach keeps everything within the Upwork platform and ensures you are following the rules and guidelines.

If you have any further questions or concerns, don't hesitate to ask.

Thank you for the clarification Utku, I'm also messaging Upwork support just to make sure. 

You're welcome Marlon. If you have any questions, I will be happy to help.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members