🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Is there a scammer on upwork platform?
Page options
c550fd8b
Community Member

Is there a scammer on upwork platform?

Hi, everyone.

I have worked on upwork platform for the last 2 months and I met some clients.

Some of them told me that without any work history, then he can be the scammer.

I don't know why they said like this but I really want to know why they said like this.

I believe that this platform is very reliable and its AI helps us a lot.

So anyone who wants to work on here won't be the scammer.

But it was really hard to get hired because I have no work histories on upwork.

How can I get hired without the history?

I need your help.

Thanks for your consideration.

4 REPLIES 4
hhumayun91
Community Member

Hi Emil, 

it's definitely possible to get hired without a work history. You just need to keep sending proposals and keep your profile active. As far as scammers are concerned, there are definitely some of them on the platform. I know Upwork is working diligently to remove such accounts but there's only so much they can do. 

I would urge you to familiarise yourself with Upwork's terms and conditions and general rules. This way, if you come across anything that seems to be breaking any or all rules, you'll know they are a scammer. 

Hope this answers your questions. Cheers. 

the-right-writer
Community Member

You need to rethink your approach before you are scammed and lose it all. There are many, many, scammers actively searching for people just like you. There are more scam jobs than real ones in most categories.

Your profile needs work, and you must learn the rules and the scams. Read this post, and follow every link. Read and follow the Terms of Service and pay special attention to the Red Flags from Wes.

This platform is not very reliable. It is full of scammers, waiting for people like you. AI is not being used in any relevant way, like filtering. AI doesn't help you at all. Most use it to scam clients.

Many people are scammers! Do not believe the propaganda, it is dangerous here if you don't know the rules and learn how to be safe. No one, including Upwork, will do a single thing to protect you. You are on your own.

The good news is, if you follow all the advice, it is likely you won't be scammed. But you have to change your belief in Upwork now, because they will not help you in any way if you are scammed.

Your profile must be changed, and made to look professional. The links to the Academy will tell you all you need to know.

STOP looking for work, because you will be scammed. Fix your profile, and learn the rules Before you even look at jobs.

debi-f
Community Member

Only one scammer? It is full of scammers! 

Upwork has changed in the last 1–2 years. There are fewer invitations and fewer jobs, a lot of new freelancers, more connects required to apply, a lot of SCAMMERS, and even when you flag them, Upwork is not helping.

• ALWAYS CHECK THE CLIENT'S PROFILE before sending a proposal, even when it fits my skills.  
  • DON'T APPLY AND DON'T CONTACT if they publish a link (telegram, mail, skype, etc.) outside Upwork.  
  • DON'T START WORKING AND/OR DON’T DELIVER ANY WORK if the contract didn't start for Upwork, and until the client has his payment verified and the money funded (specially if it's your first work with this client).

mdbutnayem
Community Member

So far I got hired by many scammers who hire from many profiles and then start their story, so be very careful.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members