🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » JSS and when you get paid by default 14 days ...
Page options
c67693ec
Community Member

JSS and when you get paid by default 14 days later

Hi,

I have noticed that I have a couple of clients who are basically too busy or too uncaring of my cashflow needs to accept my work when it is actually submitted (or even a few days later), and instead, they just wait until it is paid by default. Now as these are ongoing clients, it is not the fact they are unhappy with the quality of my work, as they come back again for more. But I notice my JSS take a dive each time this happens. It also doesn't look great not having any feedback but although I have asked nicely for feedback, I am not going to nag them to leave feedback or accept the work.

Does Upwork assume that the client is not happy with my work as it goes to default? If this is going to keep my JSS going down I won't take their work on anymore as it is not worth it. It has happened a few times and this has to be my conclusion as to what is happening.

I am also wondering whether if  a client puts a delivery date on a contract and then tarries sending me the brief by weeks (as a couple of clients have done) meaning I do not get their brief until after the work is meant to be submitted, does that also negatively impact JSS? Even if the client has said in messages they obviously understand and extend the deadlines, is it an automated thing that the computer/Upwork does not realise I am not actually being tardy?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
petra_r
Community Member

Sophie M wrote:

Does Upwork assume that the client is not happy with my work as it goes to default?

Whether a milestone is auto-approved or manually approved has no effect on the JSS in any way, shape, or form.

Contracts that have no feedback also can't affect the JSS. Only actually left feedback does.

Sophie M wrote:

although I have asked nicely for feedback

Why? Just encourage them to close the contract. If they do, they will leave feedback by default.

Sophie M wrote:

I am also wondering whether if  a client puts a delivery date on a contract and then tarries sending me the brief by weeks (as a couple of clients have done) meaning I do not get their brief until after the work is meant to be submitted, does that also negatively impact JSS?

No, that also has no effect on anything.

When your JSS goes down, someone left less than enthusiastic (mostly private) feedback.

I also see that you seem to be in quite a rush to close contracts... why? If you let clients do the closing, you have a much better chance to get feedback.

c67693ec
Community Member

I also see that you seem to be in quite a rush to close contracts... why? If you let clients do the closing, you have a much better chance to get feedback.

It seems a lot tidier to me, plus, critically, I don't like jobs that are ones offs and finished still showing as in progress as it makes it look (to some) as if I am juggling far too much work already and can't take more or on OR that I don't complete projects as quickly as I do OR there is some other reason why they are not completed as if they were abandoned in progress.

If I had to chose between a closed contract without feedback or a job in progress, there is no contest: no feedback always loses. It is much more important for your profile to get feedback, and I don't think open contracts are a huge deterrent to clients if they are in a resonable range, like maybe not more than 10% of your total contracts. 

c67693ec
Community Member

Just encourage them to close the contract. If they do, they will leave feedback by default.

That seems like the best idea, if they will

Thank you, Petra.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members