🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: JSS computation with additional feature
Page options
magicseed
Community Member

JSS computation with additional feature

I just have an idea that might help on computing JSS. You may be aware that the thing I am about to suggest is being practiced by some other freelancing website. That is the token being merited to the freelancers and clients based on income/ expenditures they contributed to the site. This reserved tokens can be used to block negative feedback both by client and freelancers.

I think this addition to system is very logical and beneficial.

If the freelancer is working with two projects, one amounting $3000 and the other is $30. The timeline of deliveries here is very vulnerable. If the contract of $30 went not cool and client can easily file dispute with nothing really to worry but a very small amount of money in the contract? What is left for the freelancer here? 50% bad record for his JSS while he still works to deliver $3000 contract which by the way, can last for over a month or months to deliver even before he can offer his service to another potential client? I thinks this is something we are missing. These two contracts that the freelancer have should not be treated equally in terms of his JSS. They are not. One of these brings weight to the income, work and time both for the platform and freelancer.

Given the scenario that both work is over, the current system will still count them as two jobs. Good rating for the $3000 contract and bad rating for $30 contract, equals 50% on your JSS?

Isn't it logical to see that $3000 contract is about 100 x of that $30 contract? If the freelancer took so much time to deliver the $3000 contract, should it only fair to give it a little more merit than the lost $30 contract?

What do you think guys? I am not a newbie in the world of freelancing. I am just wondering if this is a thing to consider. Let me know your thought.

50 REPLIES 50

Christine A wrote:

Neil P wrote:

Working hard gives us the feeback and ratings we deserve. But winning a transaction to buy a farm as opposed to a tray of eggs clearly has a world of difference. And yes, the amount of business or money you are able to handle in this platform should be merited you as well. One of the thing that everyone should strive for... Big earnings. 🙂

And it does not necessarily be a disadvantage to small timers or beginners because all their earnings are still merited.  In due time, it will grow big as long as we stay on the line. Don't you think?

No, it doesn't look like everyone agrees with you (myself included). There's no harm in discussing our wishlist of changes that we hope Upwork could make, but it seems like all you're doing at this point is repeating yourself. What's the problem with making high earnings AND keeping clients happy? 

Those pesky clients again. If only they would just give us their money and keep quiet.

Christine A wrote:

Neil P wrote:

No, it doesn't look like everyone agrees with you (myself included). There's no harm in discussing our wishlist of changes that we hope Upwork could make, but it seems like all you're doing at this point is repeating yourself. What's the problem with making high earnings AND keeping clients happy? 

Huh? Absolutely there is nothing wrong with making high earnings and keeping clients happy. We should keep it that way.. 🙂

I'm not sure if you were missing the beginning of our discussion where we almost agreed to this important variable? You may call it a wishlist but who knows? The world keep on changing and if changes offers a better and brighter tomorrow, why not?

Neil P wrote:

Huh? Absolutely there is nothing wrong with making high earnings and keeping clients happy. We should keep it that way.. 🙂

Great, then we all agree.

Neil P wrote:

Christine A wrote:

Neil P wrote:

I'm not sure if you were missing the beginning of our discussion where we almost agreed to this important variable?

Neil, if we understand you correctly, the essence of your proposal is to give FLs a way to remove bad feedback without going to the trouble of maintaining Top Rated status--which requires keeping the majority of one's clients extremely satisfied. Maybe others like that notion. I think it's a terrible idea.

Phyllis G wrote:

Neil P wrote:

Neil, if we understand you correctly, the essence of your proposal is to give FLs a way to remove bad feedback without going to the trouble of maintaining Top Rated status--which requires keeping the majority of one's clients extremely satisfied. Maybe others like that notion. I think it's a terrible idea.

Again, just to make it clear that it is not one sided. Both freelancers and clients should be merited based on the amount of their earning and/ or expenditures on the platform. Yes, they can be used to remove bad feedbacks both by freelancer and clients alike if we can put it that way. I've already given an opening scenario. Two jobs you have for example. One of $30 client and one of $3000 client. $30 for a single day job not satisfied. $3000 to work for 3 months, worked hard and client end up satisfied. By definition of simple computation of Upworks JSS you only got 50% success rate. What happened to three months of long labor and big earnings and satisfaction that was brought to the platform and client? In fact, even the $30 client still agrees to pay regardless of the performace, right?

In my opinion, the amount of earning should also provide freelancer and clients an "extra" merit. Well yes, If I earned such merit from $3000 work, can't I possibly cover up that $30 failed job? Just thinking....

I believe we can all agree that there is an important missing variable to the formula. Earning is a separate merit from feedback and rating but can serve as supplement to one's JSS. 

Neil P wrote:

I believe we can all agree that there is an important missing variable to the formula. Earning is a separate merit from feedback and rating and can serve as supplement to one's JSS.

No, we don't all agree, but that's fine - we can agree to disagree. (At least, some of us can.)

Neil P wrote:

And it does not necessarily be a disadvantage to small timers or beginners because all their earnings are still merited.  In due time, it will grow big as long as we stay on the line. Don't you think?

Yes it does disadvantage "small timers" because the amount of money people can earn is limited by the type of work they do. Even the best and most experienced virtual assistant, for example, won't be able to charge as much as a half decent senior software developer.

Heaven H wrote:

Neil P wrote:

Yes it does disadvantage "small timers" because the amount of money people can earn is limited by the type of work they do. Even the best and most experienced virtual assistant, for example, won't be able to charge as much as a half decent senior software developer.

I beg to disagree. These extra merit based on income are their "extra merits". What disadvantage it can bring to anyone no matter how small it is? I just can't figure out why would somebody claim such thing is a disadvantage? And if for some reason he is in need to use them for his JSS, such job with small earning ended up negatively, will simply require small extra merits to use. All goes equal. Same thing that a client can do for his JSS.

Again, such feature is totally beneficial for ALL regardless of his/ her level here in Upwork. Don't you think?

Neil P wrote:

Heaven H wrote:

Neil P wrote:

I beg to disagree. These extra merit based on income are their "extra merits". What disadvantage it can bring to anyone no matter how small it is?

Obviously (!) when you give an advantage to some people but not others, in such a competitive market that automatically puts the people that priviledged person at a disadvantage.

If a freelancer just about manages to hang on to Top Rated status by a thread with the help of extra "tokens" - then by definition all the freelancers who do not have that extra advantage are automatically at a disadvantage because they will fall out of the program, all else being equal.

Those who earned lots of money are already advantaged. The advantage is called "money."

At any rate, interesting as the discussion is, it's purely hypothetical because I'd bet a tidy sum of money that this isn't going to happen.

Petra R wrote:
Obviously (!) when you give an advantage to some people but not others, in such a competitive market that automatically puts the people that priviledged person at a disadvantage.

If a freelancer just about manages to hang on to Top Rated status by a thread with the help of extra "tokens" - then by definition all the freelancers who do not have that extra advantage are automatically at a disadvantage because they will fall out of the program, all else being equal.

Those who earned lots of money are already advantaged. The advantage is called "money."

At any rate, interesting as the discussion is, it's purely hypothetical because I'd bet a tidy sum of money that this isn't going to happen.

In my opinion, the only ones  who will not have this advantage are those who never made any earnings at all. Yes, high earners will definitely have higher merits than those who are low earners. I am guessing that is only fair to count numbers accordingly. But I can't see any disadvantage of this scheme even to low earners. Someone works for two gets a merit of two. Someone works for 20 gets a merit of 20. It shows fairness, not disadvantage.

It will be a total advantage to give everybody a merit of 20 with or without work but obviously, that is not fair. 🙂  Probably an x-mas gift.

tlsanders
Community Member

Aren't you sort of guessing at the weight currently assigned to each contract? My understanding is that there are many factors that go into the weight assigned to a contract.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths