🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Lacking information on clients who reach out ...
Page options
gina-herrera
Community Member

Lacking information on clients who reach out directly

Hello, I wanted to see if Upwork mods have any insight into if there are any plans for allowing freelancers to access more information from clients who have made direct contact via messages. This has been something freelancers have been asking for for a VERY long time.

While it's not always an issue, recently I had a client reach out to me recently with an offer for my listed hourly rate. I asked them to schedule a call, just so that I could understand exactly what they needed before committing (and this was not a red flag in itself, as I've had plenty of good clients that tried to hire me that way, but I needed to do my due diligence and make sure it was a good fit).

They sent me a folder of info and there were some very lackluster and unconvincing instagram posts in there, again not a huge red flag but extremely unserious and generic "campaigns" for someone prepared to spend 100/hr. Also in the folder was a .exe file labeled as their marketing plan, which I have to assume was something malicious, and the next day when I checked back, the message chat said "[Name] does not currently have access to Upwork and will not receive messages until access is restored"

All I could see upon the client reaching out to me was their location, jobs posted, spend, and average hourly rate. Luckily I'm cautious about files like this, but I could easily see a newbie clicking the file and being susceptible to some kind of virus or hacking incident. I do feel that if I had been able to access a full profile for this client (with actual links to their old job postings, other jobs posted, and reviews / ongoing projects), I could have learned more that could have helped me determine this was a scam or something along those lines faster, before risking clicking the link.

Is there any development into the potential for creating more robust client profiles that are accessible once contact is made? To not have access to information just because they spoke to me instead of inviting me to a job posting seems confusing and counterproductive. I've been on the platform for just shy of 3 years now, and this has been a complaint from many people like me for the entire time I've used Upwork. I do feel like a lot of us unfortunately feel that our concerns fall on deaf ears, this would go quite a long way in earning more trust from high end freelancers that know better than to not ask questions about offers that are a little too good to be true.

6 REPLIES 6
tarrier-design
Community Member

I agree with the above, and just spent 30 minutes searching this forum to see if there was an answer. 

I have two messages now, that I would like to see the client's full profile, especially read the feedback, if any, on the small number of jobs they have posted. 

If not, I won't be going ahead with them, and this will likely make them no enjoy their "Upwork Experience". 

PradeepH

Hi Gina,

Thank you for your message. I understand your point and we are aware that similar requests were made earlier by other freelancers too. We value your feedback and suggestions on how we can improve our platform and services.

I would like to clarify that you can view the client's name and company information, timezone and location on the right side of the Messages page. You can view other detailed information and statistics of the client's account on the job post as well as the contract page on the Details tab. You will be able to view the old job postings, other jobs posted and reviews on the previous jobs on their job posts under the 'Client's recent history'. 

Lastly, I encourage you to use the flag option found on each job post or message anytime you’d like to report a possible red flag. Check out this course for more tips on staying safe on Upwork. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have further questions. We will be always happy to help.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

The thing is, I am not getting a "job post" from the client, just messages askinf to work for them, often with no money amount mentioned. So I no see those other things I want to see.I want to read the feedback on their previous jobs, and see what kind of other jobs they are posting, and how much they are paying. 

For example, if they only pay $5 a job, yet my hourly fee is $50, I will dismiss them without a second thought. I do not want to waste time talking to them. 

I would like to clarify that you can view the client's name and company information, timezone and location on the right side of the Messages page.

Unfortunately this is not information that actually helps people make a hiring decision. And as I already mentioned, there is no job post if they are reaching out to you directly. If freelancers are asking for it, and it doesn't seem that difficult to do, I'm not sure why it's been disregarded for literally years now.

I am afraid that your information is partially uncorrect - we cannot see all the information that you mentioned when a client makes direct contact, such as:    "You can view other detailed information and statistics of the client's account on the job post as well as the contract page on the Details tab. You will be able to view the old job postings, other jobs posted and reviews on the previous jobs on their job posts under the 'Client's recent history' " No, we cannot see that wehn contacted directly. Could you please clarify? Thank you! 😉

ff594628
Community Member

This is huge information disparity.

The client can view my whole profile before messaging me - and I have no information about their past jobs/rates/budgets/ratings per job/written comments on their jobs.

When we go through job listings - we can see all those things about the client.

How come this is not yet fixed, UpWork?

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members