🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: More fake profiles
Page options
renata101
Community Member

More fake profiles

I've noticed a lot of fake profiles in the last few months and I've spent a lot of time flagging them, but little or nothing has happened.

This one is a great example. At the very least, photo appears to be doctored in Photoshop. The gif shows the before and after. Notice that the hairline features are almost identical in both photos. There are also a lot of other questionable elements in this one. At one point, the name the clients use in their feedback to the FL changes to something completely different. 

At the very least, after viewing this image, you'd expect that Trust & Safety would ask this person for do a video verification. I'm not sure why that hasn't happened. 

**Edited for community guidelines**

48 REPLIES 48
renata101
Community Member

Bojan S wrote:

Hi Renata,

I appreciate the detailed report you filed here and I'll be sure to share this with the correct team for the review. Original posts have been edited for Community Guidelines. Please note that any possible violations may be reported privately. 

Thank you.

Bojan S wrote:

Hi Renata,

I appreciate the detailed report you filed here and I'll be sure to share this with the correct team for the review. Original posts have been edited for Community Guidelines. Please note that any possible violations may be reported privately. 

Thank you.

That's nice, Bojan. Once you and the team have had some sharing time, I think it would be great if you asked each of these three to video verify. I think that might finally solve the problem. And that's what the video verification is supposed to be used for. I can't fathom why that hasn't been done in these cases. 

Adding my 10,000 kudos to every post here and should these profiles finally go poof - the thanks from my tired 'Flagging Finger' that has had a massive and aggrivating workout.

khurram4m
Community Member

In the past I have highlighted many fake clients who sell fake jobs and five  star feedbacks to new commers or cheating freelancers but I never saw any action being taken against them they are still in business. I don't know why Upwork managment is so lienient toward these cheaters. 

doc_tech
Community Member

I have found the ultimate fake profile. Search for Donald Trump in the Find Freelancer box.

I have no idea how this made it past the people who approve freelancer profiles as it is so obviously fake. I have a friend who has a legit profile, tonnes of work experience and an amazing portfolio, who cannot get her profile approved on Upwork. 

I have reported the profile.

Jana L wrote:

I have found the ultimate fake profile. Search for Donald Trump in the Find Freelancer box.

I couldn't find Donald Trump. They might have removed it.

They deleted it within minutes of me reporting it haha!

Well done Team Upwork!

Jana L wrote:

I have no idea how this made it past the people who approve freelancer profiles as it is so obviously fake. I have a friend who has a legit profile, tonnes of work experience and an amazing portfolio, who cannot get her profile approved on Upwork. 

I have reported the profile.

Keep that one up. He's going to need the work in another year and a half or so.

hoyle_editing
Community Member

Sadly it seems an easy thing for people to do - In the sector i work in (video editing) it appears the norm, you only have to watch youtube videos from a certain "its jack cole" to see he regulary talks abount making multiple accounts and taking clients off the platform - and recently iu have seen people in his comments saying new freelancers now get 90 free credits on signup!!! so they just keep making multiple accounts! not very fair for the people that are trying to do things properly. This particular youtuber has around 100K subscribers to so his recomendations are reaching far and wide.

See, they can't get rid of ACTUAL scammers and fakes, because they're too busy being concerned about the fact that I had my name set at "Ron Hokanson" (which I go by, and is technically my legal name) and wanting to change it to being publicly displayed as  "Ronald Warren Hokanson Jr" (as if it makes any constructive difference).. ugh

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members