🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Needing to Verify my Identity for a FIFTH tim...
Page options
3bba4d7c
Community Member

Needing to Verify my Identity for a FIFTH time?

Hello everyone!

I'm relatively new to UpWork and have only completed four jobs to date. A couple of days ago, I randomly received a message from UpWork stating that my account had been suspended due to "suspicious activity." The email said I needed to verify my identity. (This was my fourth time verifying my identity with UpWork.)

Like before, I submitted an image of my ID and sent over an image of my bank statement. This time, they sent a message and stated that I needed to join a video chat to verify my identity.

I joined the video with an UpWork representative, answered his questions, and he told me he would have to send the interview to "a different UpWork department for additional verification." A few hours later, he sent me a message via the ticketing system and said that my account was verified. He also told me "Should you have any questions or need further assistance, please don't hesitate to get in touch."

Well, I went back to UpWork and noticed that my account was still suspended. I messaged the representative back, explained that I was still suspended, showed him a screenshot, and asked for additonal steps to resolve the issue. He then proceeded to close the ticket without replying.

I then go back and search the open tickets and discover that UpWork has sent another message to me moments after the representative told me my identity was verified. This new message said that my account has been suspended AGAIN because of susicpious activity. Of course, the ticket requests that I go through the identity verification process again. When I click on the link, it redirects me to the UpWork homepage, but the ticket remains opens.

At this point, I'm incredibly frustrated. UpWork wants me to verify my identity for A FIFTH time before I can apply to jobs? Do I need to go to the UpWork headquarters and submit a DNA sample?

Seriously though, has anyone else experienced this issue? I suppose my only choice is to open a support ticket and request help; doing this will probably lead to more frustration and confusion, as I feel like each UpWork representative just hands off the problem to "a different department" without making any distinct actions to resolve my issue.

Thank you in advance for your insights and suggestions!

1 REPLY 1
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Stephen, 

I want to confirm that we have several verification processes on Upwork. This helps us to verify that a user's identity is legitimate and that they are who they say they are, which keeps the marketplace safe from fraudulent users. 

On Upwork, users may be asked to verify their identities from time to time. Although it may seem that the processes are the same, they are for different purposes. You may read more about it in Section 1.6, Identity and Location Verification of the Upwork User Agreement.

I checked your account and can see that the team is reviewing the documents you shared with them. The team will reach out to you once they complete the review of your documents and your account.

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members