🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » New to UPWORK - Client asking for a refundabl...
Page options
d7240ba6
Community Member

New to UPWORK - Client asking for a refundable deposit

A client is asking for a refundable deposit from me which I will get back when the project is complete. Seems like a scam. They asked that we connect via Telegram. Anyone else experience this?

9 REPLIES 9
6bfcdaf8
Community Member

Its a known scam,

How do interviews work for potential clients? If they provide a phone
number or other messaging service?

If they want to contact you off the site straight away, it's a scam. Also, it's against the terms of service to go offsite before a contract is started, and you could be suspended for doing so.

Upwork has messaging and calling features, so there is no need to use other methods in order to discuss a project with a client.

colettelewis
Community Member

It's a scam. Report the client and move on. Best to remember that it is a violation of Upwork's terms of service to communicate with a client in any way (Telegram, chatroom, skype, email etc.) other than in the message room, until you have a formal Upwork contract in place. 

d7240ba6
Community Member

Thanks. I did report them.

tomzilla1
Community Member

Some basics. Don't rush into a contract... Review the client's profile. It's a two way thing. This isn't traditional hiring process where the employer gets all the levers. You have the same responsibility of making sure the client is legit, is aligned with what you can deliver, and will work out well. Anything short, decline.

wlyonsatl
Community Member

You can get rid of some of the scam clients upfront by including something like the following in your proposals:

"I suggest we have a call to discuss your project in detail. As you may know, during our pre-contract communication Upwork requires that we only use Upwork’s own version of Zoom, rather than WhatsApp, Zoom, Hangouts, etc., to talk through the specifics of what you need and to discuss any questions you and I have for one another:

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052511833-Get-to-know-each-other-before-a-contract

After that call I can start work on this immediately (OR after Upwork confirms your payment method). We can then use any method of communication you prefer."

Good luck!

Thank you. Great information.
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members